First Grow Lowryder 2 Stealth Cabinet

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by savoy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Well, take the temperature of the air that goes into the grow space. If the temperature of the air coming in is, lets say 70, the CFLs probably wouldn't raise the temp of the grow environment past 80F but if the air coming in is 78-80, adding more intake and/or exhaust really wouldn't help...The intake air should be cooled quicker than the ehaust fan can get rid of.

2. Okay. Some newb moves were made tonight.

Temp fixing:

Basement outside air 74
    Test run at full power 95 (control)
    plugged an intake 100 (faster air flow)
    vented hood to scrubber 89 (direct the heat source)
    took off carbon filter 89 (if more fan power is the problem)

Guess I'll get a bigger fan, and possibly drill another intake, maybe drop some wattage.
    It's a little over 200 watts when it was at 100 degrees, the temp was low 80's at 100 watts with no changes in the venting.

Gah! This is frustrating. You plan and you plan. I guess this is what the newb grow is all about.

In other newb news:

I decided to carefully excavate my non sprouting seeds... I know... horrible. I did learn a couple things.

One seed hasn't changed, tiny little tap root, another the tap root got longer and was shriveled to hell, the third leaves are working to the surface!!!! I was very careful.

Also, i put them in a half inch, they were at least an inch down! they migrated, makes sense.

I suspect I used too much water. I was unaware of how hot the cab was. Planted a touch too deep.

SO, I put two nice looking seeds direct to soil .25" deep in less (a few dribbles of run off) ph'ed aerated water. Bagged and sitting on the hot water heater.

3. Yeah, if you plant a little too deep and water them, the water kinda uncompresses and then comes down onto the seed and compresses itself...if you know what I mean? The same thing happened to three of my Super Lemon Haze seeds so don't feel bad bro. :D

4. i like it. but i use it for nicotine. how would you use it with thc. would you extract it with 180 proof. or iso? beacuse i cant get my hands on 180.

5. My ejoint comes with THC cartridges..I don't know how others would turn an ecig into an ejoint :confused:

6. Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it.

So I made some changes.

DON'T USE THE 4" INLINE DUCT BOOSTER!! It is weak my cab isn't even that big.

I sucked it up and bought an $80 bathroom fan 80 cfm and 2.5 sones (plenty quiet)
    Added an intake
    lost the carbon filter
    temps are right around 80 degrees (still a few tweaks I can do too).
    I'm also exhausting up my chimney hid it pretty well.

no news on plants. but my cab is finally running well

I'm going to lay off the updates for a while until I see some true leaves
    Stay tuned.

7. Its official, the first 5 seeds are a bust.

I made a few errors, and using 4 year old seeds probably didn't help either.

Trying again with my last 5. I put 2 direct to party cups on 20/4, and 3 in paper towels to compare.

Cab is holding steady at 81 degrees, Probably will add another intake to see if I can drop the temp below 80. The new fan moves some air, and def bogs down when the doors close.

I just ordered 8 Purple Mazar auto seeds. So if the LR2's don't pan out that'll be the plan.

8. Keep at it brother :smoke:

9. #29 savoy, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
    I'm totally frustrated at this point. Its been 6 days since I put 2 seeds in dirt, and 2 days since 3 cracked seeds in dirt. No sprouts! I know two days isn't a lot (they may still do something), but every journal I read on here has sprouts pretty quickly.

I'm certain I did everything correctly this second time, plus its really not that complicated getting any plant to sprout at least.

90 watts of 6500 cfl 3 inches away 0n 20/4
    Damp not wet FFOF in 18 oz party cups with lots-o holes
    Ph-ed water room temp
    79 degrees in the box

I could go on but really, all on point.

Old seeds is the only possibility. I just can't believe all the research, effort and money that has gone into this project.

SO... hopefully the Purple Mazar will arrive soon. I might start a new journal for that one. I'm calling this one a mulligan.

10. Hey Savoy! Sorry about your luck so far.

I got my seeds from a local shop and they seemed pretty old (they were kept in a screw organizer). But When I germed mine (I only bought 3) I placed all three in 2 damp (just finished dripping for a while) and then placed that in a tupperware container with the lid just hanging off (sitting on top correctly but not pressed in) and everyday I let them breath for a couple hours. took me about 3-4 days total for them to crack but 2 of them did and they are both doing good. Make sure that when you do place them in soil that the tap root is a good half inch to an inch long. When you place it in the soil (what i did at least) was fold the papertowel underneath so as to create an edge that the open seed balances on, and lower to a hole you made in the soil and slowly let it drop them slide a little soi over it. I did that and in less than 2 days they popper up! Another thing I learned in my many hours of research is drop the plastic bags. Seedlings don't need so much moisture and generally the moisture in your area is more than enough for them. You would only really need the extra humidity for Clones. But starting from seeds, 30-40 Humidex should be more than plenty :D

Hope I could provide some assistance.

11. Thanks for that.
    Once I saw the root tip pop out I waited 24 hours and saw no change in length so I put them in gently with tweezers. I agree with you on the bags, it seems to be a 50/50 consensus about that. I took them off last night. I haven't given up completely but I'm looking forward to some fresh stock. Tracking says they've been received by the usps so this week hopefully.

Thanks again man, I took a quick look at your grow. I dig the set up, I'll give it a full read after work tonight.

12. Hey Savoy! Any updates on your new babies??

Unfortunately I had to shut my set up down until I finish moving, just for security reasons. But once I get to the new place, I will be gettin 'er done!