First Grow Looking to Learn

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by omahalda37, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

So the other day I'm breaking up some "Chocolate Chunk" when all of the sudden a seed pops out. I probably should have planned this out more but I was too excited and went straight to planting thinking I could get the setup figured out in the 2-3 days before sprouting occurs. So I have decided to try my hand at gardening.

I have done some research and this is what I've got set up so far.

- 1 seed (currently germinating)
    - 2 T8 32w bulbs in a shop light
    Philips F32T8 Fluorescent Light Bulbs - BLF-PHILIPS-F32T8
    - Miracle Gro Tomato Fertilizer (all they had)

If anyone has any pointers or points for improvement I'm up for suggestions. I will also keep updating as the seed continues its beautiful transformation.

Attached Files:

2. I am also wondering if anyone knows of any place that sells 6500k bulbs offline. I have looked around town and it seems as if they are hard to find. No sprout today but the dirt is moving around :D

3. I found some bulbs. Going to get two 32w T8 fluros (6500k) today after work. Will this be sufficient for one plant? Also, I am germinating two more seeds the paper towel way and will be planting those in 1-2 days.

4. Back again,

After a little more research I have come up with a couple more ideas. I have covered the pot with plastic wrap to allow the seed to begin sprouting. Also, I turned the light off and am planning on waiting until sprouting begins.

Still no comments :( but I'll keep everyone updated on the situation.

5. since your using a 4ft florescent i suggest you look into LST. if you LST your plant to grow right next to the bulbs u will get pretty good results. but u need more wattage. if u can get another light(i prefer 2ft florescent over 4ft) that would be fine enough for ur plant. or u can add a few CFL. remember to keep the light within 1-4" of the plant once it sprouts. anything past 5" with a florescent will have the light intensity drops greatly.

also u will want a bigger pot and add perlite to the soil so it is more airy and lighter. it allows the roots to grow easier/faster.

6. Thanks for the advice. I have been looking into LST but will have to wait until there is actually a plant to train. I think I'm also going to hook up two CFL's with a lamp or power strip. Where should I place these (opposite the other light, hanging, etc.)? I'm going to get new lights by the end of today and hopefully (fingers crossed) she sprouts by then. And where can I find perlite offline? I looked around at Ace and HD but they said they didn't have any.

7. walmart has miracle grow perlite.. and actually every store ive been to that has a garden section has had almost every miracle grow product. and CFL is basically the same thing but u dont want them 2 close because they can burn plants. id start at 6" or so and see at what distance heat stress starts to show and keep it just out of that distance.

8. #8 omahalda37, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011
    I potted using 50% topsoil (we have great soil here) and 50% Miracle Gro Seed Starter. I sprinkled some cow manure on it also, maybe about 2 tsp. Does this MG have enough perlite you think or should I get some more in there? Also, my buddy is bringing over some more bag seeds today [they are of great quality (plump, firm, and juicy with tiger stripes)] and plan to germinate them, any tips on germination?

9. #9 Dipez, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
    the soil is still going to be 2 compacted and it will still hold a shitload of water if u dont add perlite. also for germination look up the shot glass method. it works really well.

oh btw if ur trying to grow in an area where its illegal or if u dont have your doctors recommendation then i wouldnt suggest growing. its a easy way to get in trouble.

10. I'm not in Omaha, I'm from there. I meant safety as in girlfriend reasons haha. But anyways I got a sprout today, not quite sure if it is THE sprout though. It could be grass seed that decided to grow since I got my topsoil from a farm. However, I have a new setup with new lights. Will be posting pictures later. She's in the dark for now.