First grow Lookin for some advise on space, lights, fans, mylar, soil...etc

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ęZBůĐǻ420, Jan 17, 2010.

1. #1 ęZBůĐǻ420, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
    I Found this--> (F8T5/CW 8 WATT T5 COOL WHITE FLUORESCENT G5 BASE - 8 Watt T5 Preheat Fluorescent Bulb Cool White (4100 Kelvin) Color Temperature 65 CRI, G5 Miniature Bi-Pin Base. 400 Initial Lumens, 320 Mean Lumens. 12.0" Maximum Overall Length, 7500 Average Rated Hours.) and I was wondering if i could use this light for one plant for the first 2 weeks with 24/0. i was also wondering how many plants i could fit in a 2'x3'x5' area. Im going to be getting a HPS 400watt light in a week or so and im afraid it might be too hot for this small of an area??????????????
    Also i was wondering if i could just paint the inside of my area white instead of getting mylar...if i have to ill just get mylar. And if anyone could point me towards some good fans that arent load and move air efficiently plzzz let me know

here is a pic of the F8T5/CW

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9261/lightv.jpg

2. Only 400 lumens! That's not much light. I'm worried that you'd get a lot of stretch even if you only used it for a couple of weeks. Don't you have a couple cfl's you can use?

Bright flat white paint is great - no need for mylar.

3. #3 cflGROWERanon, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010

Hmmm, I'm no pro but i'm guessing that light is way too small, it's only 8watts, rule of thumb 100watts to 1st plant and 50watts for each other plant so I think you need more light or at least work with a 42w cfl for veg till you get your hps.
    As for your space and heat issues, I have no idea how to help you there but i'm damn sure that light would be almost useless on its own.

Now, if its up to me, i'd paint with white paint, I think it'd serve you better than mylar but thats also a good choice. Good luck with your grow

4. im about to run to walmart and ace to get some perlite what bulbs should i get and can i use a styrophome 16oz cup for planting right after germination or should i go with something a little bigger oh and how much perlite should i buy am i going to be using it every transplant or is it just a one time thing

5. I have no idea how much perlite, im a noob myself and still using cheap soil with nothing added but I really invested in lighting, venting and tools, next time i'll splash on good soil and perlite to give my girls added ummppff lol. That 16oz cup should be good for seedlings for bout 2weeks just make sure you provide drainage holes and your good to go. Check out my grow, see how small my plants are for 2weeks into flowering, i blame that on cheap soil so spend well on that also.

6. Nice they look good so far im about to get a 400 watt hps light but im going to have to start them on cfl because of money issuses is that going to cause any problems and i was interested in mixxing molassas in with my water when i water them but im confused as to when i should start mixing it in and giving it to my lil babys

7. I havn't used molassas but i've read it works wonders, I started off with cfl's too, real tight budget and they are fucking great, i started with 4 23w soft white cfl's (so imagine what cool white will do) and expanded to 21 23w cfls(soft white) and 2 55w cfls(daylight) and they were fucking great although I'm sure hps would have done a far better job but i had a tight budget so i worked with what i could.

Cfl's would be good to start them and they'll show their appreciation when you introduce that 400w hps, take your time though and gather your money, they'll grow great under cfl's.

As for when to start mixing and feeding molassas, i aint got a clue:p

8. last few weeks of flowering before ya final flush.

;)

9. How long after u started with the four 23 watt did u add the extra 18 or what ever and how many plants are u growing

10. I added em slowly, added the 2 55w within 2 days, then another 5 23w with a week, then by 3rd week added the rest.
    I was growing 4 but now doing 7 plants. 2 cheese 2 haze 2 Short stuff(auto) and 1 dieselryder (auto)

My 3 auto's spend 9 hours a day under 10 23w cfl's and 9hours under 600whps

11. do you have them all in the same place and just alternate what light is on......why dont u just use the hps for the whole 18

12. Nah, I move the plants to the lights, My hps is my flowering room and I have my 4 flowering plants in there with 12 hours light.
    I move the auto's there after a few hours under the cfl's for 9 hours then put em back under the cfl's for the remaining 18hours.
    They are still only seedlings and cant stay in the flowering room, plus their auto's so they'll flower under 18hours light anyway, whatever type of light I provide (I hope:D)

But ye, the hps for flowering thats why they aint under it for the 18 hour shift

13. well this changes everything for me kinda, i was thinking about getting rid of the cfls after i got my hps but now i must reconsider i only have one spot tho so i would have to just turn the lights on and off when needed