first grow...let me know how im doing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Amack21, Feb 4, 2009.

1. So i just got 2 sprouts but i wanna make sure i do this right to grow some good bud. they are only bagseeds so im trying to get the best out of them. My soil is 21-7-14 soil and in a 1 foot by 1 foot box i have 2 sprouts (gonna have a bigger box soon, hopefully 3 foot by 3 foot) I have a 23watt soft white cfl hanging down on them and im about to put abother 23watt cfl in tomorow. They are one an 18/6 light schedule for now. For the box is covered with aluminum foil all on the inside. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me id kmuch appreciate it. Thanks:smoke:

2. OK, like a lot of people new to growing have put the cart before the horse. You have germenated and sprouted your seeds before the setup was ready. Here are the problems I can see from your description.

1. You are using preferted soil. Any soil that has an NPK value is a big no no for seedlings. They will be fried before they have a chance to grow. I can almost gauranteee it. If it isn't too late, I would suggest getting them into something organic with no ferts whatsoever.

2. You need more light or you will in the near future. You may be able to get away with it for a little while, but I suggest not just adding 1 23W CFL, but 3-6 more. Also, what is the Kelving rating on the bulbs? Or, if you can't find that, what is the type of bulb (daylight, soft white, etc.)?

3. You are using aluminum foil. It is generally not a good idea to use aluminum foil. There are much better alternatives. For instance, you could try mylar, emergency blankets, the inside of foil chip bags, flat white paint, etc. Foil is known to cause both heat and hot spot issues. I suggest you remove it.

Good luck.

3. true thatwell what is a good soil I could use?...and the bulbs are soft whites...1600 lumens....well im a little broke so i was trying to just go with what i have...but i got some cash now and am willing to spend to get some quality nuggets in the end

4. Read the stickies. Especially Grandpa's Grow guide and the rules for posting. They will answer most if not all of your questions and help you get the most for your efforts.

Soft white is okay for vegetative growth. But daylight bulbs would be better.

Good luck.