First grow-Keep it small

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by RedHog, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Hi guys,
    Just started my first grow in a "stealth box". 18"x18"x48". Came with 4-23w CFLs, automatic timer, 1-6" intake and 1-6" exhaust. The strain will be Ice Breaker. It was free. Feminized of course. Advanced Female Seeds. I am starting in a 16oz solo cup. I have some decent starting medium from a local nursery. Some Sta-Green for the soil. I don't have a clue as far as which fertilizers to go for. I'd like to get some tips on when to transplant, how and when to fertilize, what to fertilize with, how and when to feed, and what to feed. I'm new to this so I'd like to keep things some what simple the first go around. I'm not the type to over think things anyways. My biggest concern and what i would like to focus on first, is how to keep my plant growing small, but growing well. I'm not in the position to have a large grow. I've read tons, so I'm kinda hip to what some of my options are. Really wanted to see what worked for all you out there. Should I try to keep the size of the plant down by planting in a smaller pot? Maybe LST? Hmm? Maybe I'm screwed. Maybe i should have tried to get some short autoflower strain. who knows. I plan on adjusting the lights, as I know they are on the verge of not being powerful enough. I will likely stick with CFLs to keep the heat down in the small space. I'll just bump up the wattage to something with in reason, without getting to hot in the box at the same time. Which spectrum bulbs should i veg and flower with? Looking forward to some tips. Thanks. RH

2. For Veg (6500k daylight ) For Flower (2700k warm white )

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Where'd you get the stealth box, how much? Looking to get one myself.

4. Hi guys,
    Just started my first grow in a "stealth box". 18"x18"x48". Came with 4-23w CFLs, automatic timer, 1-6" intake and 1-6" exhaust. The strain will be Ice Breaker. It was free. Feminized of course. Advanced Female Seeds. I am starting in a 16oz solo cup. I have some decent starting medium from a local nursery. Some Sta-Green for the soil. I don't have a clue as far as which fertilizers to go for. I'd like to get some tips on when to transplant, how and when to fertilize, what to fertilize with, how and when to feed, and what to feed. I'm new to this so I'd like to keep things some what simple the first go around. I'm not the type to over think things anyways. My biggest concern and what i would like to focus on first, is how to keep my plant growing small, but growing well. I'm not in the position to have a large grow. I've read tons, so I'm kinda hip to what some of my options are. Really wanted to see what worked for all you out there. Should I try to keep the size of the plant down by planting in a smaller pot? Maybe LST? Hmm? Maybe I'm screwed. Maybe i should have tried to get some short autoflower strain. who knows. I plan on adjusting the lights, as I know they are on the verge of not being powerful enough. I will likely stick with CFLs to keep the heat down in the small space. I'll just bump up the wattage to something with in reason, without getting to hot in the box at the same time. Which spectrum bulbs should i veg and flower with? Looking forward to some tips. Thanks. RH

Man you're not even trying.
    If you read tons you would know the basics....

But we're here to help. I'm not here for you I'm here for the hell that poor plant is going to go through.

Grow Weed Easy - Learn How to Grow Cannabis

Click that link and answer all your own questions. You can do it

• Like Like x 4
  5. Picked it up off ebay. Colorado Grow Box. As soon as it came in the mail and I examined it, I realized that I could likely have made something better. Also the 18"x18" dimensions can be some what limiting.

6. Well, thank you Garden Viking. I think.

7. Also, thanks for turning what I wrote Green and Red...cool

8. Use organic water only soil , no nutrients or feeding cycle needed , everything is in the soil from day dot, see organic soil for beginners thread on GC

Lst to keep hight down , small pot will restrict Yeild, cause roots to be root bound among various other issues !!

Stated earlier the kelvin rating for veg 6500k flower 2700k ( throw a 5000k in to mix spectrum up alittle !

By the way I learnt all this from reading until my head felt like bursting !!! an am still a noob myself , read till u can't read anymore , then read another page !!

9. Definitely. Couldn't agree more. I've been interested in growing for sometime. And there is a vast amount of information out there. I was lost, reading about growing and searching all the questions i had for months. That led me here, because i felt that being able to communicate with somone on the matter, as opposed to just reading, was the next step.

10. Exactly y I'm here also mate , ill try answer any questions u have to the best of my abilities , u really have to decide on wat way u want to go about it ?

1. 100% Organic water only soil (no nutes)
    2. Semi organic (soil with bottled nutes)
    3. Hydroponics

Then study specifically on that method , if u choose organic I can help as that's my journey ATM . Have done hydro before but too fiddley for my likings ,

(Decisions decisions )

Wouldn't recommend hydro as a first attempt !!!

11. yea. Hydro is out of the question. The box actually came with a small hydro set up and General Hydropics micro/grow/bloom and ph up/dn. I shelfed all that for the time being. I like the idea of no nutes, but also want the grow to be worth while in the end. So, i am open to the idea of bottled nutrients. I really want my end result to be some good clean smoke. I still have my youth, but I do remember the good old days. The weed seemed better and more simple. I feel/hope that with a little practice I can produce better results than the stuff I am currently throwing my money away for. Some of this stuff doesn't taste all that great either. I hate it when you get an ounce that looks like a fat quarter. It always weighs up but I think its actually being sold before it is fully dried and cured all the way. Which would explain the odd smell and bad taste. Girl Scout Cookies. Shmirl Scout Cookies. I just want some good weed.

12. Lol agreed , all I can get locally is shit hydro that has no smell really , high lasts an hour , and is picked late or early !! Pissing money down the drain !! We'll as far as quality wise goes , nothing beats the taste and smell of 100% organic nutes free bud !! If it's quality ur after do away with the bottled shit mate ! Not only that , bottles are a re-accruing expense that never ever ever ends lol !! If u make a good quality soil at the start , then everything required by the plant is already at its disposal, heard the term ( feed the soil , not the plant !) before ?? Also nothing other then the light schedule needs to be changed come time to flip to flower

13. All u do if it starts to lack is feed compost tea to get the microbiology in the soil booming again , a living soil is a symbiotic relationship between the plant and the microbiology in the soil , simply put ( the plant says hey soil I need this , the soil microbiology then goes about giving the plant it's needs , this also stops burning and toxicity as the plant is dictating its needs and not being force fed shit !

14. I had not heard that term. This nute free approach is what i am after. Any info on building a basic soil for this would be appreciated.

15. This is my understanding of it so far any way , I am far from a knowledgable grower , but have read forums and guides till I dream about the shit at night

16. Basically u mix peat , compost ( high quality )/ earth worm castings , and perlite 1:3 and let it cook for 4 weeks in a bin turning it every 4 days , letting it cook takes any heat out of the soil from the compost , and gets the microbiology booming in the soil so that when the plant is put in it , the biology is ready to supply the plant it's needs

17. These are the basic elements and ratio they must be mixed at , there are other additives to add , with mine I have added bat guano (hi phosphorus ) blood meal ( high nitrogen ) and seaweed , kelp and fish emulsion , and am using it as a super soil in the bottom 3rd of the pot then mixing just a base organic potting mix ontop , the roots will grow down into this super mix and thrive

18. What are the ratios for the peat, compost, worm castings, and perlite?

19. Equal 3rds 1:3

20. i had to re-read it. So, it is Peat/Compost with worm castings/perlite?