First Grow Just Sprouted

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SlyToker420, Jul 28, 2014.

1. About 5 days ago i germinated 3 bag seed and they finished within 48 hours, when they finished i planted them in little starter pots using a 50/50 miracle grow organic soil and perlite mixture. 2 of 3 have sprouted now ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406581038.687937.jpg and here we are. I plan to grow them outside in larger pots after they get strong enough, but here in the northern u.s we start to get frost usually around mid october, so i will be moving them indoors somewhere down the road. Any tips or help is welcome

2. 50/50 MG/perlite? That doesnt even look like 10%. I think you'll have drainage problems.

3. #3 GoolashFilms, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    Looks like a good start.

Remember to have enough air flow so that the plants hopefully get a nice stalk later on.

When You transplant is a good time to get to know the weight of Your pot dry, and the weight of Your pot watered. That is a good way to tell if Your plant needs water. I think it's more accurate than just digging two inchs to see how much moisture there is.

Also, remember to keep Your lights at the right distance from Your plants so there is not as much stretching.

Cfl's can be really close to Your plant. I would recommend at least 4 inches away, unless it gets too hot.

Having the right water tempature for seedlings is also a good idea. I would aim for 70 degrees. Five degrees too much or too less could slow down growth. Using an air stone in Your water resivor is also a good way to put oxygen in the water. I would recommend at least 24 hours of that before watering. At least a air stone in a jug. Haha.

The grow room tempature should be around 75 degrees.

Those are My opinions though, I'm not sure how others will think.

Good luck and have a great day.

4. Update: i dont think the other seed made it so were down to 2, i just transplanted into larger pots because one showed signs of yellowing and the root was penetrating the bottom hole ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406736969.776522.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406737179.706321.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1406737217.025824.jpg

5. I wouldn't have transplanted....the plant will train the roots not to grow out the hole and would have started growing wide instead of straight down.

The yellowing of the first set of leaves is normal. That's what the seedlings uses for nutrients when it's sprouting and so after that has been sucked dry it will start to yellow and eventually fall off.

Hopefully you transplanted with no damage done but in the future I'd avoid handling these delicate roots until you have a few sets of leaves.

"It ain't going to grow itself"

6. Update: i was originally moving my two babies in and out from outside to adjust to the sun, but then i got an idea to build a little grow box. In the process of moving the pots in and out i handled one too ruff and it died. Lesson learned. I now have my 1 plant in its original pot under a 120w bright white CFL, i have the light about 6in from the top of the plant, should i go lower or higher? Any suggestions on the temp? I know ventilation will become a problem but i am making a stop a the hardware store tomorrow. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407055159.836409.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407055223.107192.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1407055292.276762.jpg

7. Tips, help, anything is appreciated. Good day and toke on

8. Put Your cfl light at least 6inches close to Your canopy unless it's too hot.

9. that is what its at right now

10. It looks more like 98% MG / 2% perlite, that isn't 50/50.....

You're going to have some real challenges ahead growing in MG. When you plant these seeds, you need to get the soil level higher. It's sitting way too low in that pot. It's ashame you transplanted into yet more MG, and not just some neutral potting soil. MG has a terrible nute time release not aligned with growing cannabis at all. Some quick searching around here, and you'll read up on why NOT to use Miracle Gro ...

11. #11 SlyToker420, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    Update- my baby seems to be growing great and healthy, the new leaves on the lower canopy dont get much light and are beginning to droop but i plan to add two 42w cfl's for side lighting. Any suggestions?

12. Thanks mop, i have a bit of confusion on lighting, but i read LED lights are good with temperature and dont cause much heat which is what i need. I dont know a thing about HID lights but i know they provide more light. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to a stronger light than cfl?

- Subbed back

HPS grows the big fat buds, Its worth fixing things up to handle the heat.