first grow, just harvested first plant

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kaschtu, Aug 6, 2013.

1. #1 kaschtu, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    Just harvested first plant, the rest aren't ready quite yet.  I grow in a room(7x8x10) with all reflective panels on the walls.  I feel like I've done well for my first time but I think I could do much better.  My buds look like they aren't fully developed(unless I'm wrong? not sure what strain it is..), but fully covered in orange hairs.  I use nutrients from House & Garden.  Looking for some advice on what to do to make it better next time.  Will they get denser as they dry out and cure?
    7 plants(gonna do less next time) in total under one light.  My light is a King Cobra by sunleaves garden products with a Hilux Gro lightbulb made by Ushio. "Super high pressure sodium with optimized red and blue spectrum"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just looking for some hints and critique 

2. Those buds don't look mature......the last two weeks is when they really fill out, get dense, and pack on the weight.   Lots of fresh white pistils on those buds are a sign that they were still growing and not ready.    How long did you flower for?

And no, they won't get more dense when drying, if anything they get a bit fluffier especially if they aren't fully ripe.  

3. #3 kaschtu, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
    @[member="Shiva Blaster"]

flowered for about ten weeks.. trying to figure out the right time to harvest.  i read online that you should harvest when the hair are 50-80% orange which it seemed like they were.

they seemed like they weren't fully formed, just wasn't really sure how to go about getting them there.

4. A couple of observations.

First, I asume you are growing hydroponically because of your reference to H&G.

If so you really need to understand what your plant needs for nutrients in the last stages leading into harvest. IMHO, this takes a good TDS meter to monitor what is going on.

Understanding when to harvest is something you just have to learn. You should be able to search on hear to find some good threads. I uses a cheap hand-held lighted microscope I purchased at RadioShack for $10 to be able to see the changes in the thrichomes from clear to milky, to just turning amber - then I flush with a flush agent and harvest in about a week.

There are other ways to do this that may be better but this has worked well for me.

5. actually i'm growing in soil, not hydroponically.  H&G is just the nutrients I'm giving it when I water. i use soil a and b and some additives as well.  this is just what growers at the local grow store have recommended to me.

6. yah even at ten weeks, I would have tried to give them a couple more. What strain is it?

7. They still look yummy though..

8. the pistols should also have receded into the buds somewhat im not mistaken? but yea still look good to me gj bro.

9. thanks guys! not sure on the strain.  I have some seeds I've bought that are snow white but I figured I should use the 'mystery seeds' that a fellow grower gave me to I can make my technique as best as possible :)