First Grow Journal!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by hellas, Jul 31, 2012.

1. #1 hellas, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    Started off with 1 baby that I grew outside while I was putting up my light, added 9 seedlings in starter organic seed soil with a 6 bulb t5 with 3 of each type of CFL bulb. I for sure had the light too close the first day as you can see minor burning on the soil and my baby plant, I was wondering if the UV fried my seedlings too? Only way to find out is by waiting it out im guessing. There are 9 white lightning regular seeds and 1 dinafem auto white cheese.

Need some expert advice!

Here are the pics so far, temp is going from 70-78. I think Im lacking in humidity it idles around 45% ( picking up humidifier tomorrow)

Attached Files:

2. #2 hellas, Jul 31, 2012
    Edit: 2 sprouted after carefully checking ! I was watering them a little bit and noticed some green peaking up from the soil, lifted off a piece of dirt and bam there it was!

the first one the seed is still attached, think I should flip it over?

Attached Files:

3. Congratulations on the sprout! Personally if you want more visitors to your thread I would place all of those links in between this: [​IMG]. People do not like to browse to other sites to view pictures that you can display on the forum. As for your first little sprout it has a red stem and is stretched a sign that your lighting is to far away. Move it a bit closer so you do not stress your plants. Good luck I hope you have a successful grow!

4. #4 hellas, Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks buds bunny, I moved it up because it has some burning on its new leaves, so how far should i go down? also my pics are huge lol, how do I put them in a box like a lot of pictures I see on here are? If thats the case I prob want to move them all up closer (seedlings)

5. Those are called thumbnails and to use that feature you must upload your pictures onto the forum as opposed to a third party image hoster. When you hit edit or reply or new thread it takes you to an advanced tab scroll down to the attatchments panel at the bottom of the page. You can upload images and other files there. Once you upload them to the site it will automatically create the thumbnails and place it at the bottom of your thread.

" = inches
    ' = foot

Now for the spacing between the lights and your tops what kind of lights are you using? I really only have experience with LED and CFL's. LED's should be 6-8" from the tops and CFL's should be 2-3". As for HPS it needs to be a lot further away due to heat. Basically the rule of thumb is you want them as close as possible without burning the plant if that makes since. People reccomend all kinds of distances but just make sure its getting enough light so that it doesn't stretch but isn't so close that it's going to cause heat stress.

6. yea I had some UV burning on my baby thats why I put the lights higher. Its a CFL T5 with 6500 and 2700 for maximum efficiency. The seedlings are growing so they probably are ok for now im assuming

7. What wattage? I can tell you that one light will not work for 10 plants. Thats just not possible. As for your color 6500K is best for Vegetation however I reccomend having 1/4 the amount as 2700k. 2700k should be used for flowering. What lighting phase are you on? 18/6 24/0 12/12? Get real descriptive with what your doing blades love details and it will only help us diagnose further issues down the road.(god forbid) Sub'd for sure you seem like a chill guy digging the energies you put off. Good luck!

8. #8 hellas, Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks man! yea i know about half of those will not make it (due to being male) I only see myself doing 2-4 under that 6 foot light with LST. There are 3 54w 6400k and 3 54w 2700. The grower at my store suggested using 3 and 3, is that why im getting burning? also took a closer took at all of them, most are sprouting, but a few are on the surface and you can still see the seed on them ( must have poured water too fast, covered them with little bit of soil hopefully thats ok but they are nice and green)

9. It's not the reason you are getting buring but I would certainly change it to 1 2700k and 5 6400k's. You should have ample lighting for 3-5 plants they recommend you have 100W for one plant and 50W per additional plant. You do not have any foil or anything surronding the plant correct? I have heard of reflective materials burning holes in leafs that's why I ask. Another thing you may not be considering is intake and exhaust. You need to make sure that your temp is around 76F. There is an aweful lot of things that could cause burn or heat stress It's just all about penpointing what in your environment is causing it.

10. Can't be the fan error ( unless it happened the only day there wasn't a fan which could be the case) no mylar or foil as well. but other than that it does not get hotter than 78, and you think switching 2 out for 2 6400 will really help? Its pretty hard to change those out while its that low then re-lowering it is also hard. The grower assured me 3x3 was perfect, so maybe it was the day without the fan? also should i cover some of the sprouts that have kind of made their way to the top of the soil or just let them do their thing

11. I always let mine do there thing. The only thing you would really want to do with a sprout is maybe put wrap over it so that it keeps the condesation inside the cup. 3x3 will work but if you go 5x1 you will see your plant fill out a lot nicer. Everything is completly your choice and I am just giving you some options to maximize your yield.

12. like some Reynolds plastic wrap?

13. Awesome! Just added the wrap, mold wont form will it?

14. It shouldn't especially if you have some UV or IR in your spectrum it reduces mold/mildew. Just keep the reynolds wrap on there until its sprouts and the Cotyeldon and first set of leaves are visible. It will only mold if you let it grow for a couple weeks with the reynolds wrap on.

15. Ok so it wasn't a UV burn at all. Lifted the whole plastic container higher to the light and added the wrap on the cups without leaves! Thanks so much man its appreciated.

16. #17 hellas, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    Its been a week and heres the update with pics! All of my babies are doing well, except the 1 auto flower which is still sitting on top of the soil with the seed casing still partially on ( you will see it in the pics) Still some red stems, but they are pretty close to the light so Im guessing they are ok either way. So as of right now I have 9 healthy babies and that 1 auto flower still waiting on (probably is a goner)
    I will update more regularly now that they are much bigger

The website keeps giving me an error while uploading my pictures, so I put them on imgur:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Some of my plants starting doing this

[​IMG]

Red stems to the leaves any clue? I think it might be lack of moisture *put in a humidifier today* hopefully that fixes it

18. Update: Day 13!

I think the light was too close/fan was too high and some of the plants started doing the "taco" Fixed the light and fan, hopefully thats it. 2 plants have a little white spot on them.. is that a nut deficiency (pics attached) I watered when I transplanted 4 days ago, probably needs water today (soil is dry on top for an inch or so). Should I start a 1/4th nut cycle? sorry not uploaded to site, wouldn't allow me too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]