First Grow Journal - Peroxide Poisoning and Miracle Gro

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by posthuman11, Mar 23, 2016.

1. #1 posthuman11, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are having a good day. I've started my first grow and I could use some help. About 2 weeks after sprouting, I accidentally sprayed her with 3% peroxide. I rinsed her off immediately in the sink and re-potted her. Now she is starting to come back.

I also started her in Miracle Gro soil before learning that this soil can be toxic. I would like to see how she does with it though, since I have heard of some success stories. I've been fighting nutrient burn by keeping the humidity elevated, hoping that this will decrease transpiration from the leaves. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Here she is on Day 1 after re-potting
    Day 1.jpg

And here she is today (Day 19)
    IMG_20160323_114651107.jpg

I'm new to the forum, so please let me know if I have done anything inappropriately with regard to posting. Thanks very much.

Update 3-28-2016

I've switched from this http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/produ...acle_gro_moisture_control_potting_mix_cfl.pdf , which proved to be too toxic, to this organic soil with added perlite http://www.naturescare.com/smg/products/CFLS/naturescare_organicpottingmix_CFL.pdf (See Post #24) I am making an organic soil that should be ready in 3-4 weeks (Post #23).

I have also switched another LED bulb for a flood light so I now have two of these Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) PAR38 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb-435016 - The Home Depot
    and two of these Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight A19 LED Light Bulb-455717 - The Home Depot .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sweet how much watts and what type light you using?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 posthuman11, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks so much. I'm trying these Philips LED light bulbs that I haven't seen tested before. They are each 14.5w (100w Eq) and 5000K. I have four of them Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight A19 LED Light Bulb (4-Pack)-455717 - The Home Depot

I had them about 14 inches from the plant and then I moved them to about 7 inches. That's when nute burn worsened, so I increased the humidity.

4. That plant has seen some shit. [​IMG]
    I considered some sunbeam 11w leds but decided against them due to theyre spotlight spread. If you bust out the glass theres usually a reflector/diffuser held in with a single screw. If you take out said diffuser the led panel is exposed. Again, not nearly as spread out but the intensity of the light increases dramatically

Sent from my LG-D852 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
  5. Wow, thanks so much. I'll try this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. #6 posthuman11, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    Hey there Buddy, I tried it but the Philips LED bulb was impossible to break. It may be made of some sort of plastic. I did some reading and it said these bulbs may have lead and arsenic on the inside. I'm not sure if that's the reason that they made the bulb unbreakable though.

Trying to break the bulb wound up ruining it and it no longer works, but as Bob Marley says "when one door is closed another is opened" so I went and got this to replace it, which I believe will spread the light more broadly.
    Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight (5000K) PAR38 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb-435016 - The Home Depot

Thanks a lot for the suggestion though. The Sunbeam LED must be different in some ways. If I can confirm that they aren't harmful when broken open, I may give it another try.

7. Sorry about your misadventures dudeman. Leds really dont need anything crazy dangerous to run, So idk where or why theyd put that stuff in there. I recall reading that a certain brand had this "filter" that modified the led spectum to appear 2700k and removing would make the bulb waay out of spectrum.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. No problem at all Bro. It actually worked out for the best, since I now get to try something new that may possibly be better than what I had before. Thanks so much.

• Like Like x 2
  9. After topping and LST the bottoms are developing. Nute burn continues to be a problem and there is still some residual damage from the peroxide.

Exhibit A
    Day 1 Bottom Node.png
    Exhibit B (Day 20)
    Day 20.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. How did you accidentally spray her with peroxide?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yea man how'd it happen?

• Like Like x 2
  12. #12 posthuman11, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    I would say it was less of an accident and more of a result of not properly following the instructions. I thought I had finished reading the instructions at the point where they said to use 3% peroxide. I sprayed my plants with it and then came back to realize that I had not finished reading the instructions. The 3% peroxide was supposed to be diluted in a gallon or so of water.

That's when I jumped back up, rinsed it off, and re-potted. I've been more careful since then, but it was definitely a lesson on thoroughly reading the instructions.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Nute burn continues to progress. New growth starting to show effects as well. At this point, I'm just hoping she grows out of it.

Nute Burn Progression D20
    Nute Burn Progression D20.jpg

Nute Burn Progression D21
    Nute Burn Progression D21.jpg

Nute Burn New Growth
    New Growth Nute Burn D 21.jpg

Possible beginning of claw formation due to excess nitrogen?
    D21 Bent Leaf.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Just leave it and let it grow :) just water for now aye

• Like Like x 1
  15. That peroxide fucked her up bad mate, she seems to be pulling through tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. Got her tied down flat on the soil nutes seem to mess up the bottom leaves a little my undergrowth is starting to bulk up on day 29 what you think? uploadfromtaptalk1458938107393.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Cut back on nutes, what are you usein? Looks like potassium deficiency early stages

• Like Like x 2
  18. Just sea grow extract it burns cause i splash it a little when watering and all new growth seems fine the old leaves have it but none of the new ones the tips show nute burn but that's cause of the soil mixture :( but it's cool it will work out its nothing major

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yea looks very minor to me as well , she should have no issues recovering.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yip that was like in week 3 lol I've fed it 1/5 recommended nutes today i think she's big enough to Handle it now.