First grow journal - NYC Diesel [Curing]

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Dankmass, Jul 29, 2017.

1. What's up Grasscity community, I'm 16 days into my first ever grow and I thought I would post updates in this thread for whoever is interested, or for whoever has any advice!
    Here's the details of my grow so far -

Diesel seed (feminized) from Growers Choice
    Sprouted on 7/13, 16 days in as of today
    Plant is in a 50/50 mix of Fox Farm ocean Forrest and Fox Farm Happy Frog - 2 gallon smart pot
    Watered every few days with ph 5.8-6.3 filtered water.
    Light - 300 watt (140 roughly actual) MarsHydro LED
    Average Temp with lights on 77f, average temp with lights off 71f. Average humidity 50-70RH
    Lights currently on 18/6
    Currently in a 2'x2'x4.5' tent - will upgrade after first grow
    Fox farm dirty dozen nutrients ready to use when the plant requires
    I think that's about it, here's some pictures. The first ones are from a few days ago, last pics are from this morning. I'll be posting regular pics and updates so thanks in advance for any advice/input!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  2. Looking good, best of luck

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks Conjeff

• Like Like x 2
  4. Day 17

After a lot of reading and speaking to fellow growers, I went ahead and gave her a very diluted 1/4 gallon of nutrients. Literally 3/4 tsp of FF big bloom and less than a 1/4 tsp of FF boomerang (recommended nutes for first few weeks but much lower dosage). Hopefully the plant will react well and not be a bitch.
    Plant is still growing pretty low so I moved the light up a few inches, hoping it might encourage some vertical growth.
    Here's some pics I just took, advice welcome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. What are they these mesh type pots I see a lot called ? And looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Smart pots, just fabric pots - allow better aeration and drainage

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leaves have perked up since the feed last night! I see some growth already.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. it looks OK now...but your in soil and I read your bouncing your ph from 5.8 to 6.3??
    that's too low and within 2 weeks you will calcium lockout . raise the ph of the runoff to between 6.5 and 7.2 this allows the plant to obtain all the food necessary and won't discolor the leaves...I also see the leaves (kinda) droopy...probably due to overwatering...

what's the runoff ph? doesn't matter what's going in ...it matters at the runoff ...as long as the runoff is in soil range ..you'll be good. and make sure your not feeding to much ..1/4 strength is perfect for now since the soil has alot of food in it for the time being....

watch the PH at runoff.and adjust with (counter) balanced solution...whatever it needs to be going in , in order to get the runoff to SOIL range....your in hydro range now and getting lucky cuz the soil is saving you .but that will run out by the 4th week.

GFP

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  9. So that ph level was around the first week or so when I was watering. I ph'd the water when I fed last night to 6.6, as per the fox farm instructions. I didn't measure the runoff last night but will next time I water. You say "soil range", but what would you consider this to be? What is the optimal runoff ph?

As for the droopy leaves - they actually got better overnight since I watered, and I am leaving it around 3 or so days between watering so I don't think I'm over watering. Maybe I'm wrong

Thanks for the advice

10. the ph does matter going in...BUT it matters more what it is coming out (runoff) as this indicates closer to what the rootzone is...soil range is 6.5 to 7.2 ...hydro ranges including coco is 5.5 to 6.2

example...you give 6.0 straight water and when you check the runoff your meter says 5.4 guess what ...your too low for soil so compensate ..give it 7.2 water and you'll see that the runoff is now 6.5 whatever it has to be going in to get the runoff in range for how your growing .

your case it's soil.. 6.5 TO 7.2 ...ANYWHERE off that range will lockout nutrients...causing leaves to show signs of WTF.

GFP

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gotcha, so when fox farm suggest keeping the ph at 6.4-6.8 they are talking about the soil ph? I assumed it was the ph water you put in, I'm still learning.
    So If I water and check the runoff and it's too low, would you correct that immediately with another water at a higher ph? Or wait until the next watering time

12. When to top?
    I've heard around the 4th or 5th node is the best time to top, I think I'm a little past that stage, should I go for it? Any suggestions ?

Here's some pics I just took (7/31)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. correct ...do it right away...ALWAYS have the runoff in the.correct range.

GFP

• Like Like x 2
  14. Deff top now. Plants looking great though!

Exzryo's First Grow [Popcorn buds help]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. But If I correct it right away would I not be adding too much water to the soil? It would be drowned

16. not if the mix was made correctly and adding perlite....you CAN'T Dround a plant that drains properly...it's NOT good to have the roots sitting in water..OR sitting around water that's the wrong ph....só tô answer you ...yes if the mix isn't right %wise. and or it doesn't drain well.... só...you gotta make a choice now... if it's close (the ph) and it doesn't drain ..then wait ...

then again that's wrong too cuz I'm telling you to wait for the plant to soak in the wrong ph ..which fucts up the cation ratio...

so then I would say do it now and make sure it drains well..WELL meaning ALOT of runoff..

to avoid this in the future...have the mix right and Jack ALOT ..I use 50% perlite 50% whatever else. and make sure there is custom holes in the pot...some just don't drain like you need and you have to drill more holes ..essentially customizing the pot...

then there is now way you can Dround it...

ya dig?

GFP

17. Yea I never topped mine cause it's a auto flower so I just kept yanking branches down haha