first grow - indoor autoflower

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by crocop676, May 18, 2011.

1. To start it off, it's my first grow ever, and I know nothing about growing. That includes ph, watering, light, nutrients, soil etc

I've got a 60x110x160 growing tent, 400w 400HPS bulb with an extractor fan and cool tube, and 10 pots (20cm diameter and height).

I've also purchased seeds (2 of each):
    easy ryder
    sugar mango ryder
    lowryder 2
    afgan kush rider
    auto ak

Next step for me is buy some soil and fertiliser, as I'm currently waiting for the seeds, what would you guys recommend?

2. I love using Fox Farm Ocean Forest and the Fox Farm nutes trio. I tried Miracle grow and wasn't satisfied so I transplanted into FFOF and they took off. Better color of the new growth and the growth rate increased as well. I've heard you should start with the Light Warrior for seedlings to keep from burning them but I haven't had a problem using FFOF for seedlings

3. FF Ocean Forest is what I use and Fox Farms Nute Trio. Both are available online including Amazon. FF Nute Trio makes it easy for a beginner as it comes with a idiot proof feeding chart that tells you how much to use at what week. There are other brands just as good just was easier to use theres.

For the soil alot do not like MG on here. When I first started out tried it and almost killed my plants. MG has time released little golden orbs filled with nutes. You don't control when they open so basically you can nute burn your plants..say a bunch open on the roots if there not dispersed evenly through the soil..how do you know if there all gone so when you add nutes yourself your over nuteing etc.

Best to have soil that is organic and nute free so you can evenly feed it via water. Check to see if you have a hydro store in your city. If you do you can bet they carry FF Soil. Home Depot/Lowes etc do not. I would not buy soil from them anyhow they leave that crap outside and thats how I got Fungus Gnats a about 10 days ago.

Don't forget to get your Odor control set up to!

4. You can check nurseries too. That's where I got my FFOF soil and my trio

5. I'm having great success with happy frog on my first lowryder 2 grow. Im also using fix farm nutrients.

6. #6 greenbudguy, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Is happy frog better then FFOF?

7. Sounds great ! Good success!! Happy growing!
    Stachi[​IMG]
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/716779-stealth-diesel-ryder-autofem-grow.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-grow-journals/728732-2010-outside-monster-grow.html

8. Hi dude, I'm in the UK too ;)
    I've used B&Q's own sowing seed and cuttings soil mixed 60/40 with B&Q's own purlite. For getting the babies to hatch after paper towel method.
    Then I've used Westlands 4+ soil for transplanting into my 11ltr pots.
    By using this soil you will not have to use nutes until 12/12 unless the girls show signs of low nutes etc.
    Check out some of my posts and you'll see some pics.
    Good luck bro, you tent etc is exactly what you need to get a good grow.
    

9. Thanks mate, but what do you mean by 12/12? I thought autoflowering is all 24/0

10. Lol, Soz dude. The nutes in soil would be good for nearly the plants life. 

11. 24/0 is the way.

12. #13 greenbudguy, May 19, 2011
    Enough nutes in the soil to last the plants entire life?

13. Well it says on the bag, that it has enough nutes for 4 months and seeing most autos go for about 65-75 days I would say yes. One of mine is an auto. An it's doin fine.

14. #15 greenbudguy, May 19, 2011
    I think you might still want to maybe add 1/4 or 1/2 strength nutes to help growth and development. I find it hard to believe that the soil has enough to last that long

15. About 4-6 weeks,after that the nutes in the soil are eaten up and washed out!

16. I wait two weeks after planting and then start at 1/3 strength nutes with molasses

17. Which soil are you talking about Can you provide a link or something?

Side note: my dear seeds arrived a couple of days ago, but as I currently don't have the soil I'm not gonna start germinating them. Should I keep them in the fridge or just a cold room?

Thanks again guys really helpful info here.

18. #19 MeanMclean, May 20, 2011
    Heres a pic of the soil, which you can get in most UK garden centres. And a few pics of my girls which have had this soil and just water since the 6th of may which was about 8/9 days after spouting, it's about 2 weeks since they went in the room. infact here's a before and current pic. 
    Everyone has there own way you just need to see what's right for you bud. 

Attached Files:

19. Oops for got to add, I mixed B&Q's own brand of purlite in with the soil, about 60/40 mix (60-soil and 40-purlite) 