First Grow-Indoor-4 plants- SIP Method

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by uscalus storm, Jul 26, 2012.

1. #1 uscalus storm, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
    So i decided to start a grow journal as i get quite bored not being able to tell anyone since i'm attempting to keep this as low key as possible. This way i can also get constructive criticism! :)

Strains: 2x BlackJack
    2x Hawaii X Maui Waui
    Area: Under a 5ft loft covered on all sides (yet to be built) 7'X4'X5'

Lights: 1x 250W MH for vegging and 1x 250W HPS for flowering

Water: I should be able to collect rain water when it rains (damn drought)! But until then i'll be using water left out for 24 hours for de-chlorination.

Soil: Yet to be created until friday when i receive the last amounts.

• Organic Soil-Store bought
    • Peat
    • Perlite
    • Coco Coir (Coconut)
    • Worm Casings
    • Bone Meal
    • Blood Meal
    • Gypsum
    • Dolomite Lime
    • Alfalfa Meal
    • Cold Pressed Seaweed (they had no kelp meal!)
    • Homemade EM-1 Mixture

Day 1: 4AM I received my seeds from Attitude and information regarding shipping can be found on another thread of mine. I started each of these seeds in cleaned shot glasses full of distilled water and left in a cupboard to soak.
    2012-07-22_16-47-04_944.jpg

Day 3: 3PM Seedlings have emerged. I transplanted these into an organic soil/perlite/peat mixture drenched with de-chlorinated water, 1/4" down with the root facing down and covered with soil. I used solo cups since its what i had with 4 holes cut off the bottom and 4 slits in the sides about 1.5" long for aeration.
    2012-07-24_14-47-53_81.jpg
    2012-07-24_14-46-37_852.jpg

I then moved these 4 under a T5 with 4 6500k blue growth lights to await the popping of the head :)

2012-07-24_16-41-41_13.jpg

Day 4: 1:30AM Three of the seeds have emerged. I'll post pictures later.

** If anyone has suggestions on how much of each soil compound to add for a 5 gal bucket please feel free to let me know :)

2. Nice stuff man, I would love to see the SIP set-up your running. Homemade or store bought??

Im subbed and looking forward!

3. ^ same. Subbed. GL brother!

4. Thanks guys, ill be using guerilla45 (eds) example that he made. Ill be making them this weekend.

5. #5 uscalus storm, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    So its on day 5 and 3 of them have grown to be between 1.5-2". One of the blackjack looks like it was trying to grow sideways...so I removed some soil to assist it. Thrue leaves are showing on the three..and one of the catyeons (forgot what its called) is wilting so normal I assume.
    Still running 24 hours a day with the t5 lights. I hope when I make the switch in a week to the 250mh that its not too much stress and makes it hermie.

View attachment 938514

View attachment 938515

6. You'll be fine, if it were me they would already be under the 250 watter. They'll be okay if you dont have the light an inch away- keep her a good distance away for the first week.

7. Sub'd for this one. I want to see how you do with the SIPs buckets. :smoke:

8. Well the issue was I was supposed to move into a new house this week. I haven't heard from the chick I'm moving with, idk what's up...but when I got those seeds I needed to start asap to get a good harvest for the begining of school to pay for college. Idk what ima do if I don't move next week

They are currently 10inches away and look great I think so thanks :)

9. so just a small update. I'm now a full week into this at day 7. 1 of the blackjack doesn't look so good. In my notebook I wrote that I may have planted this on sideways thinking it woulda straitened out. Either that or just a goofy seed. I can see true leaves but we'll have to wait and see if it catches up to her sisters.

ForumRunner_20120729_231456.png

The rest look great. I'm going to move them down an inch just because the leaf levels are about 98 degrees at the temp gauge. I'm worried I might have to transplant soon only because there's just organic compost mixed with perlite, soil, and a bit of seaweed extract. The mix that I made last night to use in my buckets has quite a bit more. Ahhhh the worries. Anyway here they are enjoying themselves.

ForumRunner_20120729_231445.png

Here's a fun one. I've had bromeliads for 2 years now and this pup just started turning pink due to my t5 light..kinda cool

ForumRunner_20120729_231702.png

10. So ill be building the containers tonight. Ill post pics of them finished.

Two weeks ago I made some em1 mixture using rice/water-ferment-milk-ferment and I'm wondering if it'll be helpful to mix in with the water (or soil). I made it for my compost bin but idk why it wouldn't hurt.

11. Hey uscalus storm, :wave:

Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

There's been some discussion in Possuum's thread about the use of teas, em-1's, FTP's, ACT's, etc. It makes for good reading.

The 'idk why it wouldn't hurt' part has to do with 1) the PH of the application and 2) how big a conflict it starts within the micro-herd for dominance of the soil biology.

See ya...

12. Papa

I thought if your soil has a well established aerobic micro-herd that adding anaerobic strains to an aerobic environment would give them no chance to over-take and act as food for the aerobic organisms? Not trying to say your wrong just want clarify for my own behalf.

13. Hey SoooHaggard,

I'm not the guy to clarify anything, since I don't know much about the microbial interactions. I was merely pointing out a couple of discussion points going on over at Possuum's. Check it out...it's interesting.

See ya...

14. Yeah ill have to do that. I've been reading so many posts but during this grow I'm following mostly threads that are near the same stages as I am. I've read up a lot on the stuff but the first time learning things such as this, I tend to only retain so much information. now I'm verifying what I've learned :)

Today I had a scare..which I'm sure is paranoia. I didn't think it was a huge issue but I did wanna take precaution. $25 of seeds and a weeks time isn't worth 3 years. I walked outside to go to work with a cop talking to the apt manager and an electrical vehicle parked nearby so I ran and grabbed them, put them in the closet for about an hour. Came home, and put em back.

Either way I've top dressed them all with EWC just to get something else in these cups before I prepare them for transplanting. They are now sitting about 8-9" below the lights and still sitting around mid 85 degrees. I'm going to bring a fan in soon. So here they are currently.

ForumRunner_20120731_133635.png

The one deformed blackjack still looks like its having issues but I kinda see some form of leaves in the center. I hope these pop out within the next two days or it may be a loser. I know its hard to see but there's a decent sized stem growing.

ForumRunner_20120731_133647.png

This is my best looking one currently.

ForumRunner_20120731_133627.png

I didn't finish my sips last night because I bought PVC piping not realizing how dangerous some plastics are. So I'm going back for new piping that isn't #3,5, or 7 I think?

15. Heh...here's my paranoia story:

Back when I was running a full production perpetual hydro grow upstairs, I was sitting in the living room late one night watching a movie, when all of a sudden half of the driveway leading to my house lights up with red and blue flashers. There were 5 cop cars lined up in my drive! Talk about giving me a heart attack!

As it turned out, they were responding to a call from the wife of my neighbor, whose husband was waving a gun around and threatening to kill her. But for the minute that it took me to realize they were parked up the drive and not coming to my house, my heart rate and blood pressure were through the roof! :D

See ya...

16. Wow, that's some crazy stuff.

So bad news is we got a soldier down! I thought because I saw true leaves attempting to grow that It might make it, but instead the leaves were slowlying dying back towards the root. It had failed. :(

Good news is this left 3 more still growing strong. In the sister plants honor I named the remaining blackjack strain "420bj".
    I watered today through the top until the tray was half full. I wanted to get some of the seaweed and ewc soaked down to the roots. I also put a fan on it since it was temping round 88.

ForumRunner_20120803_005457.png

4 HOURS LATER: I stopped by after smoking and left right away but I swear they've grown about an inch already. Kinda crazy!

NEW PURCHASE: I picked this up tonight for when I move it into its OP Grow. Anyone have comments on it? Got it for half of the cost at menards than the inlines I was going to purchase online.

ForumRunner_20120803_005834.png

17. Pull those babies outta that water bath!!

That fan isn't a true inline fan, it's a duct booster used to help keep up the airflow when paired with a true inline. I was fooled just as you! A decent 4inch inline fan from HTGsupply.com will set you back $100 but it's so much better the results speak for themselves!

18. That pic was right after watering, it disappeared quickly. And as far as the fan goes yea, I just saw 500cfm for $45...figured it can't be terrible.. guess ill return her

19. ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!! It said 500 cfm? Holy shit thats a crock, try 45 TOPS!

Entry level inline fan costing $120 is lucky to pull 200.

20. K well I attempted adding a new pic without luck but the fan actually says 210cfm free air or 500 as a booster. So technically I'm getting that it'll move 210cfm of air without complications. I'm just strapped after spending $550 (including seeds) on this grow. And I still have to purchase a few more things like a carbon setup and maybe even new bulbs for my lights.

Yikes!