First Grow in Rubbermaid tote

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Stealthgrower44, Jan 31, 2009.

1. :wave:Hi names stealthgrower44 but anyone can call me stealth for short. This will be my first grow of some localy grown stuff but not sure on the exact strain. You could say bagseed but I didn't aquire mine from a bag i picked up lol. I am starting from seed and will be doing an explanation of my design (quickly...kinda, I'm high lol) and a complete journal of my first ever attempted grow. This is a SUPER STEALTH project and no one who I am living with can know about this. I luckly found an amazing stealth rubbermaid design that fit the standard perfectly. I got the design off another grower over there at ICMG and added a few things of my own to the his design.

(Sorry but I don't have much pictures of the construction itself but a lot more of the actual growing :) )

The design is simple; first, two 37 gallon totes (I choose the larger tubs over the 18 gallon ones) sit on top of each other. Cut out the bottom of one of the totes, leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of a lip so you can screw or rivit it to the other tube. Next trace the cut out onto the lid of the bottom tote. Cut out the tracing. Once you finish your cutting you can secure the two pieces however you want. Since I didn't have a rivit gun I just taped (foil tape) the two together and then further reinforced it with some short screws through the 1/4 to 1/2 inch lip i left. I spray painting the inside of each tote (before I assumbled it) with black paint to help block the light. I checked before I painted and there was def light leakage. I then assembled the two totes and lined the walls with mylar (emergency blanket). I then moved on to build by far the most difficult part of the construction, the light box. In the design I used the idea was to remove the lights from the grow room to help battle the heat issue. Because I was am using CFL's this def came in handy. I guess you could think of this as a giant cool tube :D but it's a box. (Pictures will show everything later) On top of this box, which fit into the totes perfectly, had a smaller tote on top of that which was thte utality room. This housed all the fans which kept the light room cool and exhaust the grow room of smells using activated carbon from the pet store. It also housed the power supply for my fans and the extension cord that powered the entire unit. Ok enough of my blabbing here is some pics of the design.... :smoking:

Attached Files:

2. more pictures of the set up and parts used

Attached Files:

3. 1/31/09 5 days from planting and roughly two or three days since sprouting.

Victoria is my fav thus far and it doing the best. She was also the first to break ground and show herself to the world. Mary was the slow starter and is thus the smallest of my three main girls. Jane had a little bit of stretching but nothing that couldn't be fixed. My experiment girl (going to be put outside) also had a little bit of stretching but it was corrected and now she's doing great. I will put her outside once she's a little more developed.

The first two pics are of my fav girl Victoria. The second two are of Jane and is more of the second best. The green pot is the experiment girl that will eventually go outside to best herself against nature. Victoria again. The second to last is the smallest girl, Mary, but she has a look of being short and bushy.

I am going out of town until next tuesday. I water earlier tonight and gave them a tad bit more then usual so they should last a little while longer. I will update when I return either on tuesday or wed.

SO what does everyone think?>??? the set up? my girls? they looking good? O and I added some new girls (not sure if they will survive the weekend though, still too small). Peace for now

~stealth

Attached Files:

4. Very nice stealthing!!!

Innovator! lol, just as long as your pal don't come over and try and help ya move some stuff around I'd say your 100% safe!

Your plants look on schedule as well. You might wanna place a smoke detector somewhere near the area above in case anything goes bad. As safe as we all try and be remember, prepare for the worse so the best can happen.

LaterZz,
    Blaze

5. Wow, very well thought out setup, Stealth:D. Is there a design guide for that posted anywhere? Looks like a good option for the new CFL growers on the City. I was thinking of setting up a CFL box, may just go with something like this. Keep us posted!:smoking:

6. Hey there adnormldood thanks for the comp. :wave: Here is a link to the set up. I followed it step for step in building mine. Worked great. I did do a few mods though but u can tell through my pics.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=100698&userid=27457

O and I will be updating later tonight once I get my pictures taken and uploaded. Peace for now

~stealth

7. Thanks blaze for the advice. I did end up putting a smoke detector about the area (but hidden so it doesn't draw attention) so I think i will at least be somewhat safer. I removed the more flamable materials away from the heater so I think we'll be safe. I moved the box to a new area since my pal visited and helped out so its at 100% again. as far as people know i am not growing (got caught by people who didn't like it lol) OK peace for now, update comin soon

~stealth

8. Thats a really cool idea, ive been looking for a good stealth solution myself, 1 question tho, how did you wire up the lights? I was thinking of outlet to socket converters on a surge protector or power strip what do think?

9. I wired them in one continous current powering all the lights first off. After blowing the switch once I decided to split the system in half and power each half using their own extension cords. Make sure you use the ones with the ground prong. I also have them plugged into a more safty box that helps it from blowing the switches lol. I haven't had a problem since. A power strip works great in this situation but in my case i didn't use one (no need). Hope this helps. Peace out for now

~stealth

10. Since it is now 12:15AM and I just finished take/uploading all my pics, I can now write you all and show you how the girls are looking. OK here we go. No new questions right now but I will prob come up with something a little later :smoke:

P.S. Let me know what ya think :D

~stealth:D

Attached Files:

11. more pics ....plus what my new tape job looks like on the peep door...

Attached Files:

12. ....is anyone out there watchin this grow?:confused:

13. we're watchin man! Lol. Some beautiful little girls you got growin. This is the slowest part of it all lol, just watchin em grow bigger. But its worth it in the end! keep it up man :smoke:

14. Thanks for letting me know. I just like the reinforcement ya know. This might be the slowest part but every time I look at them something new has happened. Tonight showed a lot of new growth...but since the camera that I was going to use has been taken for the weekend, I am going to have to wait to take some new pics. But don't worry the new ones are going to be amazing. FYI though Jane has now taken over the number one sport for strongest growth with Victoria and Mary falling second. The Experiment is doing just as well. THe three babies will need to be transplanted soon. Prob when I take the new pics....a transplant for all lol. Well UNtil next time

~stealth:D

15. everything looks great to me, its true this is the slowest part of the grow....but also the most exciting! everyday it seems you can see all the new growth!

16. like the somewhat stealth setup you have. don't forget to name one mary jane.

17. anthonygj: I def wanted the name mary jane but I fiqured I would have one mary and the other jane lol. I know it's not the stealthist set up but it works perfectly here. more pics coming o so soon :hello:

DirtyGerman: OMG your right I love going to see them and seeing the new growth. It's like happening over night every night. I fed with some Nutes tonight on the other girls and just straight H2O for the babies. I am also aiming for a transplat on either sat or sun. wish me luck...thanks for the comment

~stealth:wave:

18. Some new pics of the girls....look at all the new growth in just two days!!! and thats with no nutes or anything just H2O and lots of lovin.;)

So tonight before coming to write this I checked on the girls and found a BUG!! no idea what kind or anything just that it was there and it prob shouldn't. so i killed it and everything returned to normal. I decided to put some screen over the passive intakes for the grow room to keep the pests out. this is where i believe the bugs got in. ok so picture time...

Mary...lookin good (biggest) first three pictures from left to right

Jane...the smallest of the three girls but looking strong (three middle pics)

Victoria...still growing strong..nothing bad to say...my number 2 right now. (showing roots through drain holes so will be transplanting asap) (three from the last.

Whole Family...Shot of all 6 of my girls...some will be leaving either to go outside or to be disposed of....

so what does everyone think...I just can't stop watching and taking pics. I haven't been this excited about something like this in awhile.:D:smoke:

~stealth

Attached Files:

19. more pics of the girls:

The Experiment....Very healthy looking....transplant soon and put outside. (first three pics)

Attached Files:

20. well I have to admit, it only gets better when you trigger flowering