First Grow in my first box!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SmokaWitAHolsta, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hey people, :wave:
    This is my first grow and first grow box construction, i have chosen a rubbermaid container because i plan on doing a sea of green grow.
    My brother is also doing a sea of green grow, in a rubbermaid as well, so its cool to see how we differ in design.
    Tonight i bought myself an emergency blanket, and i made a diy carbon filter i saw on another site.
    I have been germing 20 seeds in last couple days and i think 6 of those are in dixie cups under a 6500k bulb and i plan on switching to 2700k to make it start flowering, i have an exhaust fan only at this point.
    My brother started earlier then me, and where i live i can get away with anything, especially with a filter, and a few tricks up my sleeve; so when i heard he was growing i had to get in on it.
    He started the way i did, with dixie cups, same lighting but when he moved them into the rubbermaid filled with soil, the stopped growing as rapidly, we feel they were stressed during the move. Because they stopped so suddenly my brother over watered them on accident (his first grow too) he finally just got rid of he ones that died added perlite to the soil and cut holes in the bottom. I havent watered mine very much and when i do i use a water bottle with a poked hole in this and just let it drop out for a few seconds, is that enough water if i do this every two days?
    Well, i'd love to hear advice, so what do you guys think?:D
    p.s. the first picture is of mine its the green one ^_^

Attached Files:

2. Looks like your using CFL's. You have to have those lights as close as you can get them for maximum light penetration. At least 4 inches away at most. Can be close as 1 inch just not touching the plant.

Check out my friends grow in my sig. Used cfl's.

Water them when the soil is dry. Dig your finger down a little bit in the soil(2 inches??) and if its wet or damp let it go.

3. I have been watering them like you told me, and i lowered my lights. would you suggest putting them in a flower bed when it's time to transplant? Or just gallon pots? I plan on switching to flowering cycle 2-4 weeks after they've been planted because I want small plants small yield with the sog method. One of them is growing at a angle because I only have two lights right now if I just face it away from the light will it begin to grow in the other direction and straighten itself out? Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130403_231856.png

ForumRunner_20130403_231844.png

ForumRunner_20130403_231831.png

ForumRunner_20130403_231822.png

ForumRunner_20130403_231815.png

4. Are u keeping them all in that big Rubbermaid container throughout their life or givin be their own containers?

5. They will all stay in the same rubbermaid until harvest. I'm worried about transplanting them so I'm trying to find the best way without causing them stress. Could anyone suggest suitable lighting for flowering?

6. #6 Bullscrog, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    I would recommend separate containers they will most likely get root bound with that many in one pot :/. And I want 2700k for flower or a mix if 2700 and 6500k which is what I do.

7. Oh! I meant if I were to pot them they would stay in the rubbermaid, but they would each have their own pot, or I would space them and make a flower bed at the bottom of the rubbermaid. I'm currently using the 2700 for veg. so 2700 lights can cause flowering with the help of a few 6500?

8. 6500 for veg & 2700 for flower. The 6500 imitate the bright summer days, as the 2700 imitates the fall light spectrum, which is the natural end of the plants growing season.

I would suggest potting them in separate containers and using the SCROG method (perhaps with some LST) to maximize your growing space.

9. #9 SmokaWitAHolsta, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
    If I were to do a Scrog method grow in a grow box, when I switch to flowering do I still keep everything under the net? Also how tall are your plants when you repot and what method do you use to repot your plants, just pull em out and put em in?

10. The scrog will eliminate height issues. Once you start flowering and the plant goes thru it's "stretching" phase, it will start filling out your screen.

As for re-potting, I vegged my plant for 3 weeks in a solo cup & then transplanted into its final 1.5 gallon pot. I wait for the soil to dry out a bit and just turn it upside down. You should wait to transplant until you have root at the bottom of your pot.

Here's a visual.

Attached Files:

11. Okay, so it sounds like Scrog is the way to go. Okay so you wait for the souls to dry and when you turn it over the plant and all the roots come with it forming something that looks similar to that soul block under yours. Makes since.

12. Yup. Since you're using smaller cups, you should transplant them a little sooner to prevent stunted growth. I'd say when they develop their 2nd set of true leaves... Just be careful with the roots, they're very fragile at that stage.