First grow- Hydroponics Hut Pro Grow 180 LED, Coco/Perlite, Hempy pots.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tastebud, May 30, 2011.

1. First Grow Ever- Hydroponics Hut Pro Grow 180's, Coco/Perlite, Hempy pots.
    First Grow Ever- LED, Coco/Perlite, Hempy pots.
    Hello Everyone. I'm new to growing. I have always wanted to give it a go. Just small scale for my own use. I've been reading and following in the forums every chance I get. I'm addicted to it I think. It's great fun to watch everyone's progress and methods. I'm ready to see if I can grow my own. I thought that I would start out right by creating a journal to record what works for me and what doesn't. Also, more importantly, to try and absorb (like a sponge) all the info and help that I can.

Here is what I'm doing.

Space- Two areas. Each one 20” x 23” x 52”, one 20” x 46” x 12” top area for electronics, filter, fan. Painted inside flat white.

Ventilation- Passive intake- 6- 2” holes on floor of each area, 6- 1” holes on ceiling of each area, carbon filter and 4” 170 cfm inline fan in upper top area, exhaust through top of cabinet through sound dampener. One 4” fan and one 6” fan in each area for air circulation.

Lights- Two Hydroponics Hut Pro Grow 180 LED. One for each 20” x 23” x 52” area.

Strains- (fem seeds) 3 Nirvana Northern Light in one area. 3 Nirvana Blue Mystic in the other.

Pots- 2 gall. Hempy pots. 3:1 Coco/Perlite mix. Bottom 1.75 inches up to drain hole all perlite.

Nutes- GH Flora- micro hard water, grow, and bloom.

Supplements- Diamond Nectar, Botanicare Cal Mag plus, Kool Bloom. With the exception of using the Cal Mag, I'm going to follow the GH feeding schedule at a reduced strength and see what happens as I go.

It Begins:

Wed. 5/18- Put all six seeds in wet paper towel and Tupperware with lid.

Fri. 5/20- Three days later all six seeds cracked with tap root showing about ¼”.
    Prepped dry coco/perlite mix in pots using our well water (PH 7.0). Used PH down at 5 ml per gall. to PH 5.9. Base TDS of water 245 ppm. Added GH Flora Nutes at 2ml each Grow, Micro, Bloom. Total TDS 650 ppm. Watered until run off from hole in pot. Planted each seed @ ¼” deep, tap root down. Lightly packed soil over seeds. Put Pro Grow LED's 13” above the pots (took a guess). Used veg only function on the Pro Grow lights. Lights on 24/0. Exhaust fan on. Small 4” fan on in each area to move air around. End of day- 8pm Temp 86, RH 66%.

Sat. 05/21- End of day 7:30 pm. All BM (Blue Mystic) breaking the surface of soil. Two NL (Northern Light) breaking through, one not showing. Coco still pretty wet. Left alone.

Sun. 05/22- 11 am. All up and leaves starting to unfold. Here is I think my first mistake. Lights left at 13” above seedlings. Sprouts now about 2 inches tall. Look too tall as compared to pics of other seedlings that I have seen at this stage. Should be very short right? Coco still wet. No water added. 5:30 pm temp 88. RH 53%.

Mon. 05/23- 6 pm. All have first set of small striated longer leaves. Seedlings about 2” tall. Decided to lower lights to 6” above pots and turn on the flowering spectrum function on the lights. Now both spectrums on. Also turned on the additional 6”small fans in each area to create “breeze” on stems to help strengthen? Coco still moist. Pots feel significantly lighter though. May need to water next visit? Temp 88, RH 56%.

Wed. 05/25- Temp 92, RH 44%. Pots felt pretty light. Gave the 6 seedlings a light watering with very diluted nute mix (2ml micro, 1ml grow, 1ml bloom). Aside from the stems being a bit too tall and thin, the leaves look healthy and I can see the beginnings of new growth. One NL seedling laying over today but leaves look ok. I made little stakes from wire ties to hold them up. Very thin stems on these. I hope that I haven't screwed everything up right from the start. Seedlings are about 2” tall and starting to grow a second set of leaves. Next time, I will start out with my lights lower. As soon as I saw sprouts beginning to break the surface of the soil, I placed my lights at 13” from tops of pots (took a guess) with the veg only spectrum turned on. This caused my sprouts to stretch too much, I think. They went from just turning upright and unfolding the first little leaves to 2” tall and very thin stem in about 24 hrs. Moved to 6” and turned on both spectrums and the stretching seems to have stopped. My lights are two Hydroponics Hut Pro Grow 180. Each one covers a 20” x 23” area. I should have started with lights lower, so I can't blame the lights. Next time, I'll know.

That's where I'm at so far. This is my first grow. I intend to learn from every mistake in this process, prevent as many mistakes as possible by taking advice and criticism from all of the experienced growers here, and have a great time learning!

In the words of Sergeant Schultz. I know nothing……….Yet! Thank you in advance for any advice, info, opinion, remark. All will be appreciated.

Here are some pics of where I'm at with this.

Attached Files:

2. This looks good so far.
    How are they doing now?

3. Hello luhv,
    They are doing well. This is a duplicate thread. I fu**ed up and posted the thread twice. The second one is the one that I have been updating and talking to other members on. I would delete this one, but I'm new to all of this and don't know how. The link to the right thread is in my sig now. Hope to see you there. Thanks for your interest too. I appreciate it very much.