First grow high expectations

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ant Dog, Aug 21, 2015.

1. #10781 Ravenboy, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    yeah for sure passive hydro is great. thats what DTW soilless (including coco perlite) and hempy buckets are. Passive hydro. no moving parts....

except your arms hands and feet - its all manual

however the labor is too much for me anymore. don't want to do it, and if avoiding it gives be bigger yields, well so much the better

on my last grow i experimented with feeding ( by hand) some plants to 20 percent runoff several times a day

the results led me to want a system that automatically feeds plans in coco/perliet FREQUENTLY ...... MANY times a day.

I also didn't ever want to hand water again, for the rest of my life.

as far as the reliability of electrical components and wiring , i have the skills to design my own systems from readily available, unbelievably cheap and reliable parts. i don't buy from the hydro market. I figure out what i want to accomplish, and buy components on EBAY usually directly from China.

Ive NEVER had a timer fail and I've done this since 1969. with that said, i will add that as technology improves and gets really cheap, i toss components that are still working to replace with better stuff with more features.

still i have digital timers with well more than ten years on them

IVE HAD ALMOST NO ELECTRICAL COMPONENT FAILURES. .

one time i had to replace a 12V computer fan in a mars II light, it was working but i didn't like the rattle from a worn out bearing. i don't remember another failure, other than HID bulbs that had reached end of life.

" your experience may vary"

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hey brother Earl .how are you ?
    Things are good here .. Had to work today but I'm off now and it's my Friday lol

I imagine the pump would add oxygen to the roots ..
    How was you thinking about doing it ? To one of your hempys ? Delia hempys ( the hempy creator ) has said the air pump doesn't help in hempys . I have read about a few people trying it but from everything that I have read good old fashion hand watering works best in a hempy ... Really though I don't know . Just going by what I read

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1

3. hand watering hempys and DTW aerates the roots just fine. for DWC,bubble buckets, aeroponics,NFT etc, adding 0xygen is essential.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hey Ant Dog... glad to see you ! hope your "weekend' goes by slow.. lemme explain better... I meant pre oxygenating the feed mix sorta like you would do in an ACT or whatever type compost tea that needs oxygenated

• Like Like x 2
  5. you know me... I get a crazy thought now and then about things

• Like Like x 2
  6. Oh ok got u ..... Seems like it would ..I use to bubble my soup when I was using the GO line ..... Not sure how much air I was adding to the soup but it would bring my Ph up for me .... The plants seemed to like it ...... That was when I was doing then A x T in soil back when we first met on here

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thanks bro ....on my way to a pool party right now .. Should be fun ... I hope you have a great evening as well brother

• Like Like x 2
  8. Enjoy Ant Dog !

• Like Like x 2
  9. Man I'll never forget the day the pipe to my hot water heater busted .. It was like somebody opens a fire hydrant in my bed room .. What I fucking mess

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks bro ... Maybe I should get off the phone lol

Juts riding now though but I'm not driving lol ... Can't here shit with the roof off so myseell play with my phone .

• Like Like x 2
  11. #10791 GreenHardtGrower, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Being a aquaponics fan as well, I did build a pool with wood and a liner ;) Just after that grow came down.

It wasn't a water table... It was an ebb and flow bucket system with a master control bucket in the grow room and reservoir downstairs. The pump pushed the water to the master bucket an inch from the top. 18 hose connectors at the bottom of the bucket delivered the same level of water to the planter buckets and was stopped by a float valve on the master control bucket, so there wasn't several atmospheres of pressure on the pump in the reservoir.

I wasn't worried about absorption... I'm pretty sure living next to burn pits in Iraq will kill me first. It was actually winter and the water comes out at 55 degrees. I just got tired of sticking my arm in the cold water every time I wanted to switch res.

~GHG~

• Like Like x 3
  12. I'm guessing you are with your beautiful Lady and she is your driver ? Thanks for the input on the aerating

• Like Like x 2
  13. You could use a drip system with the pump in the bottom of the pail to start.

Secret room

• Like Like x 2
  14. Yes sir but it looks like I'll be driving on the way home lol ... She's drinking and I'm baked

• Like Like x 3
  15. Hey Ant Dog ! how are the outside A vs T doing ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Honestly they are pretty small still .. Not really able to get them as much sun as I would like in the yard and with the days getting shorter I'm thinking they ain't gonna amount to much .. Idk ... I'll get some pics later

• Like Like x 3
  17. if we are taking hempies, or DTW, how can one put a pump in the bottom of the bucket? for DTW its full of medium. For a hempy the bottom is 100% perlite for a couple of inches, with medium on top.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Make the "well" 6 inches deep, that's enough for a pump. The hrydro store here has a few plants set up like that.

You would just unplug the pump once the roots were deep enough to reach the well. It would just replace the hand watering to start and cost 30.00 more.

Secret room

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 4
  19. #10800 Ravenboy, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    airstones just are not required for a hempy bucket so why bother

and its true that Dalaihempy always freaked out when anyone tried to enhance his system

lots of folks use hempies and have adapted an automatic watering system, but to Dalaihempy, thats NOT a hempy bucket.

not that this is important, who cares what he thinks?

and actually he wasn't the first person to promote growing this way (although the original creator wasn't growing weed).... Maybe he discovered it on his own, but the system had been documented years before he started talking about it.

.... For this reason I would have preferred a different name for the system.

but there is NO need to oxygenate the mix prior to feeding a hempy bucket = pouring it in will provide oxygen to the roots.

its amazing - very few people have reported root rot in a hempy, and in many years I have NEVER once experienced it, so, condsiering the fact there there is 2" of water (perlite and water) in the bottom of a hempy, there must be enough oxygen provided by daily feeding or the roots would tell you

• Like Like x 2