First grow, help please

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by The Great Gonzo, Dec 9, 2016.

1. I either gave them too much nutes too soon, over watered or underwatered. They are in 2 gallon Smartpots. 4x4x6 grow box. 2, 300w led, actual draw around 400w. I'm keeping the temp around 74 during the day and 65 at night. Fans circulating the air around and an exhaust fan pulling air out. 1481243184793.jpg 1481243190216.jpg 1481243193650.jpg 1481243197348.jpg 1481243201616.jpg

2. Seedlings don't need nutrients till the 3rd week of life

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 The Great Gonzo, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Yeah... I'm not a good grower it seems. These are going on a month from seed

4. I had a heat stress problem starting out.

5. Heat may have contributed to it slowing down as well. But like Brad said, no nutes til your 2-3rd week.

A seed packs enough nutrients in its cotyledons (the first tiny round leaves from sprouting) to take it into at least 2 weeks.

Edit: I'd feed plain water and flush the soil. Although I'd also wait for someone else to chime in with a solution. I'm still under 10 grows, so I'm sure a vet can give great input as well.

6. What is the medium and what nutes did u give them?

7. If you have been giving it nutes this early in the life cycle then it most likely is. It could be due to heat but I doubt it. What kind of soil are you using?

8. Soil. I have the general hydroponics starter kit. I gave them 1/4 the recommended dose every 4th day for the past 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. What kind of soil are you using?

10. Most potting soil manufacturers add some type of fertilizer to their soil. Could be that between the included fertilizer and the nutes you've added you overpowered the seedlings.
    I'd try flushing the crap outa the medium and then no nutes for at least a couple of weeks. Then start real low levels if they recover. It's however possible that the soil has slow release fertilizers and I dunno if they flush out.
    G/L

• Like Like x 1
  11. I highly recommend doing what the comment above says as well and also next time you grow stay away from slow release soils and just grow with organic soils or coco coir

12. I believe the opposite. Your soil is loaded with wood chips - correct? This is what I am seeing from your pictures.

Wood chips are often used as "filler" in cheap potting soils. It is also the worst thing you could ever add to any potting soil.

Organic matter requires microbial action to break down - i.e.: bacteria & fungus. Wood chips are high in cellulose which is very tough to break down so it requires a lot of energy on the part of the microbes to break down the cellulose. The microbes use Nitrogen to "eat" as fuel while they're breaking down the wood chips so until the wood chips are broken down the microbes use more and more Nitrogen out of the surrounding soil and inevitably use ALL the Nitrogen in the soil.

Your plants are starving for Nitrogen - thus the pale yellowing color. I've been through this before.

I am an organic gardener. Several years ago I added multiple tractor loads of a combination of horse manure & stall bedding (wood shavings) which had not broken down yet to my corn patch. The corn sprouted fine but slowly started turning yellow - exactly as yours are right now.

I was stumped as to what was causing this because I had always had excellent results in this garden area. The only thing I had done differently was to add the manure/wood shavings to the Corn patch.

After doing some research I figured out what was causing it. The solution was to add additional nitrogen around each corn plant so I ( very painstakingly) worked a solid handful of chicken manure pellets into the soil around each plant (several hundred) and then watered it all in well.

Within 72 hours my corn patch was no longer yellowing but was a beautiful healthy green again. The addition of the much needed Nitrogen did the trick.

The way I look at this you have two options - feed your plants the Nitrogen they are starving for right now - because they are guaranteed to die if you don't, or to very carefully transplant into a proven potting soil that does not contain the wood chips that yours does.

Been there/done this, Stay away from potting soils containing wood chips.

Hope this helped. Your seedlings are starving for N right now because it is all being used by microbes quicker than your plant can get access to it.

J

• Like Like x 2
  13. This^ dunno how nute burn is to blame lol looks like a deficiency big time and probably why it's growing so slow nitrogen is needed to get your plant nice and strong

• Like Like x 1
  14. Okay. 2 of them I'm going to flush and the other 3 I am going to add nitrogen and wait and see which ones start doing better.

15. Adding N will help to a certain extent but that soil with all those wood chips will never be your friend.

They may be too far gone already.

J

16. The wood chips are only on top. I ran out of the Jacob's so I used a cheaper one for the last inch. I can take the cheap, wood filled soil off and put some better soil on if you think that will help