First grow, help needed

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by SAMMIE786, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Hello
    I'm planning to grow I read alot of shit that gets confusing. Im planning to grow hydroponically and with Leds to keep temps low. I hav roughly 6ft x 7ft grow space which would be in a grow tent. I seen a led light with actual power draw of 750w would two of these be enough to grow a good amount of weed i want to be as close to 1gpw atleast 1kg after 3-4 months anything less wouldn't be worth grow due to bills and shit. how much plants would I need to grow to hit my target? How long would I need to veg to get? And what system would be best to use?

2. Sounds like you need to read some more of that shit until it's no longer confusing.   You have to figure this stuff out for yourself.

Just an FYI, 750w is 750w.  Doesn't matter if it's 750w HPS or 750w LED, they will put out the same amount of heat.   So you need to deal with 1500w of heat in your space, the type of light is irrelevant.

That being said, you will get better results using two 600w HPS lights, and now you only have 1200w of heat to deal with rather than 1500w.

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to pull 680 grams per 600w HPS light, FYI.   

• Like Like x 1
  3. so 1000w of heat is the same no matter what lighting is used? is 1500w of hps better lighting than 1500w of led, if so what makes each one better than the other? I have read somewhere that you get better PAR in LED than HPS so technically wouldn't this be better.

I been looking in to DWC or bubbleponics, I have only seen small reservoirs for DWC, Can I have one big one that will cover all my growing space or do I need multiple tanks? when I have enough clones can I still do SoG using this system? 

Sorry, if any questions I asked are Stupid after all i am a newb :confused_2: 
    looking forward to your, it is appreciated

4. #4 5cooby Doo, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    I guess in theory that guy is correct, I haven't read in depth on the difference in light wattage and their heat output. How ever from what I have seen, a 1000w Hps will be hotter than a 1000w LED which ever way you slice it. That's like saying a 400w CFL and 400w HPS will put out the same amount of heat.... I don't think so. So don't quote me but that's my two cents.

^There are no "stupid" questions. You are trying to learn, you will ask questions, that how people learn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, I read that energy can't be created or destroyed but transferred so 1000w of electricity will be converted to light and heat, and LED is more the efficient than HPS so I fort it would produce less heat and my main concerns are money and heat. every here and there we have choppers patrolling the sky, rumours are they track heat through infra-red if the heats is way above normal with patterns of light hours with growing, your grow is getting busted lol, secondly i don't want to lose out through bills im ready to pay upfront cost for led if it'll saves on the bill, prices are 15p per kw 8p if its from 12am to 8 am.
    Around here oz is £200-240 for shit bud, Fuck that shit I rather Grow my own it looks like fun too lol 

Any help on what grow method should be used for good yields and something which isn't too much hard work. thanks 

First of all, thank you for asking great questions.  Noob or not, there is a lot of confusion in the market with all the fancy products out there. It's hard to know what's BS.  And some things sound better on paper than the results you actually get. I'll always give out advice based on my own experience.  I can tell you've been studying, and appreciate the effort you're putting in, for that, I'll try to give you a thoughtful answer. 

Lights:
    Contrary what some people *think*, 1000w is 1000w is 1000w.   It doesn't matter if you have a 1000w space heater, 1000w HPS light, or 1000w of LED light, they will all produce the same amount of heat. That's just plain physics, not my opinion.  

I own two Blackstar "240w" flowering LED systems.  They work great, but only actually draw 120w.  So these are blatantly being lied about in the marketing/labeling of the product. I can't speak for other brands, but this is important to understand so you know what you're looking for in a light.   That said, I did a shoot out test of the 120w LED and a 150w HPS  in a 1.5'x1.5'x4' tent.  Two grows under each light in the same conditions and the HPS light outperformed the LED each time.   Bud quality was hands down better under the HPS light, nice compact hard heavy buds.   The LEDs seem to consistently grow all fluffy bud.   I've also observed that plants tend to show sex quicker under LED than HPS, but does nothing to improve the quantity or quality of your harvest.   I've quit using these LEDs because they give me consistently less desirable results, compared to the quality of final product under HPS.  

That said, based on my experience, HID is better across the board, compared to LED, in flower.  I've heard they're fantastic for veg, but I never considered investing more money into trying to improve my process which is already too fast.   In flower, the results weren't impressive. 

I've seen some 600w ($2k each) LED rigs that are pretty sweet, but far too expensive for what you get out of them.  I'm currently using inexpensive iPower brand ballasts and bulbs (eBay, Amazon, etc.) and they are outperforming my "top of the line" Gavita and Digilux bulbs.  The HID technology is peaking right now, whereas LED is being experimented with, trying to beat out the old standby.  They're getting better, but aren't there yet in my opinion.

The measurement of PAR, compared to lumens is simply a measurement of the number of photons within different spectrums.  Lumens are for humans, PAR (Photosyntheticallyactive Radiation) is for plants.  So LEDs definitely have superior PAR results in a few specific frequencies/colors which the marketing people play up as being superior than HPS.  LEDs put out a lot of light over several very distinct colors (they refer to these as "bands"), all within the PAR spectrum.  HID lights tend to put out a wider band of colors across the spectrum, including plant and human spectrum.    Since HID lights output a wider range of color, across the spectrum of what's useable by the plant, it's a more complete light source.  LED is "too focused," in a few color bands used by plants, whereas HID offers up color across almost the entire spectrum used by plants.  

When in doubt, don't be afraid to experiment. Worst case scenario is you end up learning someting by it, and you'll be a better grower for it.

Regarding hydroponic systems...

First of all, none are better than the other.  They can all be made to work great, and any of them can fail, if you neglect their basic needs.  Some have more special basic needs than others. 

To put shortly, DWC's weak spot is nutrient temps.  If you're already worried about heat, DWC is not the best choice for you.  What you're looking for is a recirculating DWC system to distribute nutrients to several plant sites.  (see the link in my signature to see the one I builtI have one I built in my signature).  Note that any recirculating DWC system will add more heat to a DWC system, and it's likely that you'll need a chiller to grow successfully.  Chillers are pretty expensive.

I highly recommend that you try Hempy buckets on your first try.  Excellent system, and particularly excellent choice for running sea of green.  However, I have give Coco a mention here, too, it would also be great for SoG.

Hempys are used by noobs and experts alike with excellent results.  It's probably the easiest, least expensive and most effective way to grow.  I've used them for years, in all shapes and sizes, and I keep going back to them, time after time.  Dutch Buckets or Bato Bucket methods are the same (to a plant) as Hempy buckets.   All are equally awesome, but Hempy buckets are the best to start out in. 

If you have specific questions about the finer points of other hydro systems, I'd be glad to address them, but won't list all of them here, as it's a vast subject.

Regarding nutrients, you absolutely can't go wrong with Lucas formula. (see my signature for the Ask Lucas thread - It's a huge thread, but I think it covers almost everything anyone would need to know to grow well.   Once you understand it, it's dead simple.  I like General Hydroponics Floranova series and Maxi series nutrient lines with Lucas formula.  Either are very inexpensive and give excellent results out of a single bottle or bag. 

Hope I didn't bore you to death.

Cheers,
    Past

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 SAMMIE786, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
    interesting and heat is a concern when temps hit over 80f I dont want to use AC and my country is cold this summer hottest temp was 91f/33c lowest being 59f/15c other than that its usually cold, winters  range from 50f - 14f. 

I decided I might get 2 600w hps for now experiment with leds later on. any ideas on ventilation? and I just read about hempy buckets and I dont wanna be hand watering would I be able to modify this and add drip feed system to it? and what about airpots with coco and drip fed? would it be better as more oxygen is going to roots then hempy buckets?  

I know there alot of variable the effect weight but would i be able to hit a 1KG/0.8gpw target easily aslong as temps are good and I might add co2 bags if it would help growth significantly?

Temps are always going to vary.   You can't do much about that.  All you can do is try to keep the area your plants are growing in within desirable ranges as often as you can.  A little too much heat here, or too cold there will simply mean your grow will slow down for a moment at that time, and take a bit of timee, to recover.  Cannabis is amazingly adaptive and will survive and produce across a variety of conditions.

Hempy buckets can be automated just like coco in air pots, but will absolutely provide more air than coco would.   I used to top drip into Dutch Buckets for many years (same system used by professional flower growers across Holland) which is identical to top dripping into a Hempy bucket.   A couple other alternatives would be to flood them from the bottom.  You can put 12 buckets full of perlite in a single tray of water.   You can combine half perlite and half coco, too, or any combo of each.  You can't overwater either way, as long as either system has a way to allow the excess water to freely run off.  If you go with coco, just be aware that you may need to supplement extra calcium/magnesium..  Not a big deal, it's just one more bottle of nutrient solution to buy.  

You can build a top drip system using a fish tank water pump, some dripeprs from the local hardware store (and any appropriate adapters to hook up the 1/4" line to your pump) and a reservoir of water.   Hook the pump up to a timer to feed every morning after lights come on, and you're set!

2x 600w lights is a great way to go.  I flower under 2 600w, and veg under a single 600w.    You should be able to easily hit 1.3kg under two 600w lights, even if you have less than optimal conditions.  The more plants you have , the better the yeild.  For instance, you should yield higher with 36 12" candlesticks than 4 big SCROGged plants.  Sea of Green is known for this.

9. Coco and airpots are my method of choice. Would be cool to automate them with a drip feed so if you go that route keep me updated.

Love coco because its very hard to overwater. I hand water and leave the runoff in the tray so they can bottom feed. It's almost always gone by the next 24 hours. That way I don't waste expensive nutrients, especially when solution drops out of the sides of the airpots. Won't really have to worry about that if you drip feed, but I'd def recommend airpots.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Just ordered the Blumats drip system. SAMMIE you should check it out. I will be using it with coco and airports. Apparently you set up a reservoir with water and an airstone, run a line to and each drip system has a ceramic cone to place into the medium that gauges moisture content. It just drips away, you can set the drip speed. No timers, pumps, just works with gravity (having the res higher up). Seems to good to be true but ill let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If you can upload a grow journal, i wanna see how it goes yet just waiting on my funding before I get started but thanks a lot guys

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. I've read that thread but it sounds like his trying to sell me the led lol and i dunno if i could trust the chinks on a quality product some times they sell good shit cheap other times its cheap but hey u get what u paid for cheap. And the average room temperature where im from is roughly 63f I want my heat in the grow room not to hit over 75f if hps will keep it at that then i fink its all good. I am interested in leds doe but the price is too high they sell u it at roughly 70% more then what it cost them to build. I aint in to getin ripped off ygm if the milk is sour i ain't the pussy to drink it lol

13. At originalpast do you think 2 or maybe 3 600w hps lights will effect my heat signature if room temps are at 63f - 69f. Btw sum tried to tell me they've had plants giving em roughly 10 to 15oz off a plant with about 8 cfls surrounding each plant grown for 2 months veg they only had 5ft height limits so im assuming it was bushy plant is that bullshut what you think the person has grown for a while doe and talks like his had experience? If he done that with cfls surely it shud be achievable with 600w hps or leds easilyand he grew in soil imagine hw much he would have got if it was hydro. Like to hear ur lots thoughts hope im not annoying btw how can I give u lot reps for politeness

14. The time for HID lighting has come to pass and the stigma that people place on the LED's needs to be put down and with actual facts not what somebody says.  
     "Lights:
    Contrary what some people *think*, 1000w is 1000w is 1000w.   It doesn't matter if you have a 1000w space heater, 1000w HPS light, or 1000w of LED light, they will all produce the same amount of heat. That's just plain physics, not my opinion."
    I am no Physicist (actually a helicopter mechanic)  but are Fing kidding me when talking about the heat from a 1000W space heater you would look at the BTU, a 1000W space heater is equivalent to 5,100 BTUs. I know HPS gets hot as F but I don't know the actual temp of the bulb but i know its HOT! and now for the best of all LED's. Ok so a 1000w led panel could be a variety of temps depending  on what watt each diode is. The bigger it is the warmer it gets is what I've seen. I have a 3 led lights the smallest a 28w produces very minimal heat the 90w has a noticeable warmth to it but its not warm the 700w is warm you can feel the light energy turn into heat energy when it touches your skin. To say that a 1000w LED would produce the same heat as a 1000w space heater or HPS set up is just plain ridiculous. I found this chart on HPS 
    Equipment                                         BTUs

1000W HID Grow Light (Lamp only)  4000
    1000W Magnetic Ballast                   3500
    1000W Electronic Ballast                  2500
    BTU stands for British Thermal Unit. It is equivalent to just over 1,000 joules of energy. 
    As far as your 240w lights thats the amount of watts in your light not the actual watts used being the 120w. A 120w led light is not that powerful so yes you would not achieve the result you are seeking. I own a 700w light that cost me $318 not the $2K you speak of. Yes there are VERY expensive lights out there but when it comes to led's you have to cut past the shiny shit and look for a good manufactur. LG LED Solutions is a great company and offer an amazing light that is affordable. 
    HPS lights aren't a better light cause they have a wider color spectrum. They actually have a ton of wasted IR light that just gets turned into heat because it has such a wide spectrum. 

15. Yeah i mighy get a the 1200w led from lg led solutions for about £300 what spectrum shall i get that would be a good flowerer as veg i could use sum t5 to aid the leds if needed. I hear leds r crap for flowering how was ur buds under leds?

16. #17 Original Past, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013

LED is getting better, but it has not surpassed HID, nor will it for some time, if at all.   

Oh, it's the amount of watts in my light.  In the past 30+ years that I've been studying and practicing electronics I've missed the text that talks about how to detect how many watts are in my lights.  Clearly, your understanding of a watt is lacking.   Marketing firms know that most common people don't understand this, as evidenced by your testimony.  If you don't think 1000w of LED won't produce the same heat as 1000w of HID light, then you should take that up with Isaac Newton, not me. 

If this is your understanding of LED technology, then I have two 1000w LED grow lights to sell you, real cheap!

You can read all the charts you want, and regurgitate all the marketing material you've been fed, but the proof is in the pudding.   HID grows killer weed at a better price point than LED, period. 

I can't comment on detectible heat signatures, because I'm not familiar with the technology used to detect them.  I do know a lot about heat, however.  The first rule is that you cannot add cold to heat, to reduce the heat.  You must transfer the heat somewhere else.  The more you "spread" out the heat, the less it piles up at one single point, and the less of a target it appears to be.   That being said, if you can vent your heat outside, or transfer it to water, and to the ground, or via an air conditioner... you have to choose one of these methods that will work best for you.

The most common method is simply venting outside, and replacing the warm air with cool outside air.  That's great if your outdoor temps are lower than your ideal grow temps (78F).  Then it's a matter of getting the right amount of air movement, to keep up with the amount of heat being generated by the light.   (big fan or small fan).

The next most common method of transferring heat outside the grow room is to use air conditioning.  This is expensive.  

One thing you can do, if you get two 600w lights is to dim them!   This is an excellent feature, and it will allow you to  really dial in your temps.   It's more important to get your temps dialed in than to throw big lights at your grow.   The effort put towards building a good environment will pay off in dividends later. 

• Like Like x 1
  18. read back a few pages on this and you'll find the lady named sara email her and she'll set you up tell her you want a light set more towards flowering. http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1229301-complete-led-setup.html/page-15. these light work great don't be fooled by fools that have never used good LED's

Attached Files: