First Grow - Haze Special & Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JustBlazeUp420, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hey GrassCity!

Aight, so this is my first time growing, and maybe I'm a bit late on the journal game, but my plants are all about 2 weeks old and are growing ridiculously fast.

I have two Haze Specials (Mostly Sativa)
    And two Northern Lights (Mostly Indica)

Strangely, three of my plants have the leaves of an indica, which confuses me. Anyway, over the weekend I plan to setup a 300w CFL grow room but at the moment the sun is all they need :yay:

I have them on a soil mixture of:
    20% perlite
    20% wormcastings
    60% compost
    And for the moment its working brilliantly. I'll upload pics in my next post

2. Here are the plants, how do they look? :smoke:

Attached Files:

3. looking healthy man, welcome to the city, if you have any questions I can't stress enough use the search feature, and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for just read!

4. Thanks! & trust me I have done, ive been reading hundreds of threads here, so I thought its about time I did some posting myself :yay:

5. Decided I'd do something different, and start flowering super early. All plants are now about 3-4 weeks old and I'm starting them on 12-12 today. I am not using any CFLs in this grow, as I was going to previously, instead I am relying on natural light, window grow (I know its said buds are smaller under natural light, but I am no greedy man, 4 plants (5 if you include the one I stripped of leaves) are plenty enough for me and some friends :smoke:

6. Welcome.

Flowering artificially on natural light becomes a right pain in the arse. A couple of friends of mine flowered 5 plants that way. You have to be so strict with yourself, I personally wouldn't want to do it. They had to be at home by 9pm every night and up at 9am every morning. Consider this before you commit to it unless you have some cool automated timing system that puts them in the dark on time every night.

Just missing a couple of hours here and there can cause hormone changes which negatively impact yield or delay harvest.

They look good though. Any more pictures. Nice to see a sativa strain. I'm growing a selection of sativas at the minute. My Arjan's Strawberry Haze started off with indica type broad leaves, but as it matured the leaves narrowed to the prettier sativa look. Strange that they are different though. I guess it's possible they are from seeds from two different plants and are expressing slightly different phenotypes. Were they femmed seeds?

7. Wow, to be totally honest with you I didn't quite think about that. But to be honest, if I'm ever out, I can drop my roommate a text. Strangely she has no idea what the plants are, but also won't ask questions, and so can just roll my blinds down at 8.

At the moment my plants are in the dark room, I'm in the UK( New York raised though) so its already 8:30pm, so I don't wanna be disturbing them, but I sure as hell will be posting pics in the morning.

Ahh, I'm extremely excited about the Sativas, the market is about 95% indica where I'm from, so buying Sativa is a rare thing, which is annoying as they're my personal favorite.

Yeah one of the plants I stripped down turned from indica looking leaves to Sativa quite rapidly, so I'm not too concerned anymore. Although, one of my northern lights has very pale lower leaves, but I put that down to deficiency, fed it extra nutes and the problem hasn't spread since.

8. I'm sorry to hear about you being in the UK. I feel your pain. I'm from there but have lived abroad since I was 13.

Yeah it's not such a fun hobby when they intrude on your life so much. Seriously consider alternatives. You had your annual nice weekend a few weeks back, so you're only going to be getting sunlight filtered through cloud for the rest of the grow anyway. :)

I think 95% of the black market everywhere is indica. It just makes sense to grow it when you're not growing for personal use. It's a shame though because sativa strains are also my favourite.

The pale lower leaves is more than likely nitrogen deficiency. These two threads give a lot of good information on deficiencies:

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/374679-essential-plant-nutrients.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/246040-deficency-nute-burn-pics.html

You may want to bookmark those. They'll come in handy.

Keep us updated. Look forward to some photos.

9. Haha, yeah, its a bit of a drag compared to Brooklyn, but it is what it is.

I usually have people down to my place, as its also a recording studio anyway, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a leech on my social life. I would have gone to cfls, controlled by a timer, but ya know, I see this as all being about experience, so next grow ill be using CFLs, compare the grows.

Aha, luckily Im living south east, and growing in a conservatory, so I get more sun then the rest of this rock. My place is stinking a bit already, so I got some ova up in here helping with the odor, and I must say, its doing a brilliant job.

Nitrogen deficiency eh? I best rethink my soil mix for the next batch. Sweet for the links and all the help man!

I'll be posting more pics tomorrow :yay:

10. South of Derby and east of Bristol it's all a bit flat and boring, but if you go up North there are some pretty beautiful places in the countryside. You should definitely try get out of town while you're there. It's a much nicer place when you get away from all the Brits.

It's not necessarily a problem with the soil. What have you been feeding them with?

Have you been pHing the water? If not, this is a must. I know you're only doing it for you and a few friends and you're not really that bothered about yield, but spending as little as 5 quid on a liquid pH test kit will really pay off.

Certain nutrients are only water soluble in certain pH ranges. If the pH of your soil is outside that range, the plant cannot use it and it manifests itself as a deficiency of whatever element happens to be locked out. Most people recommend a pH of somewhere around 6.0-6.5 for soil.

11. Yeah, I really need to start exploring this place, once my mixtapes out, it'll be road trip time :)

Nah I havnt been doing pH tests on the water, and to be totally honest I think that's the cause. I ripped off the yellowish leaves to prevent spread, but I'm already flowering, started yesterday. Here are some pics, I know people are going to say they are way too small to flower, but I wanna keep these kids small, especially knowing my Sativas are likely to double in size during flowering.

Attached Files: