First Grow: Have a couple questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by baxterfinch, Apr 12, 2011.

1. #1 baxterfinch, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
    So i started germinating my seeds on March 27, 2011. 6 Northern Lights seeds. Within a couple days, i had 4 of the 6 planted and spouted. 2 of them took longer. anyways, this is my first post on the site, so i dont know how to add pictures but two of my plants are concerning me. one is completely yellow and small and looks like it hasnt grown at all compared to the others ive planted. and another one has dark green leaves that look dried and shrived and bent at 90* angles to the left. ill post pics as soon as i figure out how....

so i added pics. the one furthest to the left is the obviously the one with the yellow problem. it was planted at the same time as the one on the very right. the plant in the center is the one that has bent leaves that feel dry.

Attached Files:

2. btw, any help would be appreciated. i am new to this whole thing so even beginners can give advice. my plants are all about 2 weeks old now. except for the second one to the left. that one has only been in the soil for 3 days

3. get that plastic off the soil it needs to breathe do u have drainage holes poked in the bottoms and they say u need to block the light by wrapping tape around those cups i myself have never grown pot in clear cups but i've grown several different kinds of plants in clear containers with no adverse effects to the roots

4. Are there holes in the bottom of those cups to allow drainage? If not that could be part of the problem. It could just be a bad plant and it wont make it whatever you do. What type of soil are you using? If its miracle grow that could be the problem too. MG soils have time release nutrients and it could be whats hurting the plant. How often are you watering. You should let the soil get dry on top before adding more. My suggestion would be to make sure the cups have good drainage then flush the soil.

5. are you feeding by any chance

6. yes there are holes on the bottom of all cups. i recently put the plastic on the soil yesterday because i have having algea or some green stuff growing on the top of my soil. i searched what the probllem was and found out if i block it from the light, the algea will die off. you can see it in the two left pictures. dark green crap on the soil. yes its miracle grow. yes i am feeding but i think im going to stop on the yellow one, wait a day or two and flush with fresh water. are my plants too small for 15 days? i feel like they all should be as big as the biggest one. i dont know though

7. well i can tell you your first mistake roots hate light so thats probably why they are looking weird and not growing well get them out of those clear cups what are your temps like also looks like maybe they have some heat stress

8. temps stay between 75-80. ill definitley cover the cups. i dont know why i havent thought of that yet. thanks mannn

9. You are burning the seedlings with the miracle gro soil. and that green stuff. I wouldn't worry about it. flush the soil hella. Maybe you can save them. Not sure. I would start over and plant in seed starter soil this time, not miracle gro.

10. ill flush the whole crop tomorrow. im not worried about the biggest one though. ill just keep her on purified water for another week. any other tips? what should i expect for the little yellow one?

11. The leaves are completly yellow it looks like it's gonna die to me, but you never know.

12. When I germ I use potting mix, but then I used MG shake n feed for the next 3 mo.s after that I go to fish. My first grow last year was a success. I'm the outdoorsy type, never tried indoor. Just don't get too anxciouse, takes time, where do you think that saying came from, " About as exciteing as whatching grass grow":wave:

13. but watching my grass grow is really exciting mannnn! haha im pretty happy with what i have so far. never smoked northern lights before. never grew before. what should i be expecting in the next week? am i suppose to trim my plants? do i just keep with the 24/0 schedule? or should i switch to 18/6?

14. Looks like you may be over watering. Check your ph.

15. I left mine in 24/0 for I think a week before I switched to 18/6 I didnt add nutes till I switched either. After you flush them I would probably expect the little one to die but it could come back and be your best plant. Be sure to keep your lights as close as possible without burning them.

16. #16 baxterfinch, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    When I switch to 18/6, is that when vegging starts?

17. Your plants will veg. if you give them 18-24 hrs of light.