First Grow - Good Times

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Azureblue, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Thanks guys :cool:

Pictures this afternoon for sure. Going to take a whole bunch of shots on my lunch hour and I will make sure and get some shots of the carbon filter. The carbon filter is working great by the way. In veg I have been getting a light MJ/plant smell that can permiate the whole basement. The basement is unfinished and for storage so it's easy to chalk it up to "basement smells." However, since I installed the carbon filter that has completely disappeared, even right next to the growbox :hello:. it was a must before I started flowering.

Anyway, picture soon :D

2. Well it looks like it will be this evening for pictures. Lunch was cancelled because we got busy at work. Pictures this evening :D

3. Hey Azureblue!
    Just read your journal! nice work! i am looking forward for those promised pics! :D

Make Peace, Love and Weed

4. Thanks for stopping by! I am anxious to get off work and get home so I can get these pictures posted :D

5. Hey guys low on time but as promised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish I had time to comment but I don't. I won't be able to post again until Monday. Hope you like the pictures :cool:

6. nice Carbonfilter, gotta love DIY for growing MJ!

plants looking great.

7. High Azureblue!

I just got up, rolled my wak`n`bake, put in some Sizzla and now I am looking at your beautiful plant, what a morning!
    Nice looking plant! The LST you did also looks very good! How many times you tied it down?
    There is just one leaf that is a little yellowish, i think this is a sign of iron deficency, so try to add some micro nutes including iron, but i am no expert, not even yet a beginner ;)
    However it is nothing to go crazy about, adding the perfect ammount of nutes is probably a f**king trial and error adventure...
    Are you planning on LSTing her again? Is this even recommended during flowering? Have you seen any signs of sex until now?
    Again: Very nice looking plant, I hope my first ones are going to look like yours...

Keep us updated!

make Peace, Love and Weed!

8. #28 Azureblue, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008

I've tied it down in about 5 or 6 places :eek:

I am not taking it to quite the extreme that some people do. I'm basically using it to:

1. Make sure all the branches are seperated enough to get light (a.k.a. not get totally hidden under other growth) and

2. Keep the height and shape of the plant under control so that I don't run out of vertical space and also don't allow branches to grow into the lights. When I originally built this growbox my main goal was stealth. I've had good success with stealth but it will make for an interesting challenge in keeping the plant from outgrowing the box and not growing right into the the lights. The box is 3' tall (some of which is robbed by the carbon filter now), 19" wide, 2' deep. Small :(. But stealth :eek:

Thanks! I'll check that out! Until I started tying down branches, etc., I was having trouble with leaves growing right into the lights and getting burned :(. For this grow I have not been able to do some of the experimenting I've wanted such as measuring PH levels and playing more with nutes. I am using Fox Farm's vegging nutes which have been great so far. If it's a girl I'll be buying Fox Farms flowering nutes as well.

I don't think it is recommend when flowering itself really starts getting into full swing. I will probably be tying it down again in several places, but only in trying to stay within my height and width restrictions. We'll see how this goes :eek:

I looked again this morning and there is nothing definitive yet. It's been five days of 12/12. Hopefully it will show soon!

I must say, by the way, that being on the 12/12 schedule has helped tremendously with my temperatures. They have been in the low 70's when lights are off and high 70's when they are on. For my next grow I am considering 18/6 during veg instead of 24/0 simply for the temperature advantage.

Thank you very much! Good luck to you sir and thanks for stopping by :cool:

9. #29 Azureblue, Sep 8, 2008

I'm loving it :D

Everything about my grow has been DIY. It's had to be in order to keep the costs low, which in turn keeps the finances low profile, and the grow itself stealth.

The carbon filter has been doing a great job, though the true test will come during flowering (if it's a girl). It has made all of the planty/veg smells in the basement totally disappear!

Thanks! :D

10. WoW a very detailed answer! I like that :D
    I am also planing to use LST, not because of lack of vertival space, but for more bud :smoking:
    sex should show within the next week, i think...I hope it is a girl and we can see her flower in your stealth cab.!!!
    Can you take some micro pics when you think sex is showing? Looking forward to sexing ;)

Make Peace, Love and Weed!

11. That's just the way I roll :cool:

OH I HOPE SO :eek: :hello:

Sure! I looked pretty carefully this morning and all I saw was new leaf growth. I am used to taking those macro pictures so when I start to see something I'll definitely post up. Since this is a super-stealth grow I can only get to the growbox when nobody is home. The next time that will be is Wednesday. After that it could be several days :eek: :(

I'll figure something out though...

Thanks again for stopping by :D

12. #32 Azureblue, Sep 8, 2008
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy...or....I don't know....day 6 of 12/12...does this mean anything or is this just new growth? This really got my heart pumping at lunch but it may be nothing.......:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

13. That's all new leaf/branch growth.
    Sex is determined at the nodes.

Why are you in 12/12 already?
    Your plant still looks immature to be in flowering.

14. I take that back, it doesn't look immature, but it doesn't look quite as healthy as it should.

15. Thanks - false alarm I guess. This is my first grow and I am learning everyday. Plant was pretty thirsty when these pictures were taken, which might be what made it look less then healthy. The grow hasn't gone perfectly but I've been pretty satisfied with it so far :D

16. High Azure!

I also could not see any sings of sex, those are all new leafsets IMHO. Did you topped her? looks nice and bushy the new set.
    Great work! Keep the pictures flowing!

Pace

17. Thanks for stopping by :D

Dang...I am nervous about my plant of over 2 months turning out to be a boy. I guess it's making me paranoid :cry:

QUESTION: You mentioned topping which is ironic because I was coming to my grow journal to get a general consensus on if I should top my plant. As I've mentioned I'm working with a short height restriction (box is 3' but with carbon filter I've only got about 2.5' or less).

I've been doing a lot of research and I notice that people who end up with nice, short, bushy plants employ not only LST (which I am already doing) but also top the plant as well. Here is a picture of a guy that did CFL, LST, and topped:

[​IMG]

...and another...

[​IMG]

I am open to opinions!

Should I top my plant?

18. I thought you already did that..Even I was thinking about topping to increase yield, and i will have 5.9' height free....You definetly want top look into topping if you have such a small space!
    I found a great tutorial about fimming and topping from "DierWolf" here in the forum:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122559-how-fimming-topping-made-easy.html

he makes it seem very simple... Try to top your new leafs, but read the thread before, i would reccomend!
    Good luck and have me posted!

PACE

19. Dude, you are awesome :cool:

I will definitely check it out and keep you posted! It will be Wednesday before I can get back at the plant again. Thanks again!

20. No problem dude! Glade i could help out!

~~~~~~keep it growing~~~~~~~~~~~~