First grow, germing paper towel method, question?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by PhelpsFan1, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Started germing two days ago, and 18 of the 30 seeds have tails! :hello:

My question is, when do I move them to the soil? My buddy says wait the full ten days, but the 420 guide on here said that curling tails is bad. How soon do I move the sprotued seeds? The longest is a quarter inch or so.

Thanks for the help.

2. I never did the paper towel thing but place the white root in the soil (vertical or slightly diagonal) and leave the round cotyledon out. Water gently (mist) so they don't move around. I'd do it as soon as the white root is about 1/4 1/2 inch.

3. I would say plant them as soon as you see any sign of sprouting.

The point of the paper towel method is to seperate the duds from the goods, before planting them to avoid the waste of time.

So as soon as it proved to be a good seed i would plant it.

I dont advise that method, but if you have a lot of seeds to use then i can see why you would use it.

4. Thanks guys, this is what I figured, it makes a lot more sense...

Why wouldn't you advise this method btw? This is my first grow, from what I've read it's the best way to start off...but I never really saw why tbh.

5. #5 champloo, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
    Well as Cantharis and other reputable growers on this site have stated before, it just adds an extra useless step which involves tampering with the sensitive seedling.

The natural way is the safe way.

But if you had say 50 bagseeds, and wanted to just grow whatever you could get out of them.

I would use the paper towel method, because if a few dont make it or w.e its no big sweat. And you dont want to waste time planting 20+ seeds that wont sprout.

But if you pay good money for a 10 pack of good genetics. It would be smartest to plant in soil or a jiffy puck. That way, when the seed even starts its germination process, it can immediately start growing into its medium without being disturbed.

The paper towel method is by far NOT the best method... its just a way of seeing which ones are good and bad before taking the time to plant.

6. it seems like it would place undue stress on the seedlings, but i have seen nice plants grown from seeds that were germinated this way. anyway, i'm no pro, just figured i would share my experience...

7. Well I started 30 seeds, and so far 23 have germed, and it's only three days...just checked em, and by golly, one of the seeds has even fallen off the tail. Hafta wait for my roommate to go to work to get these babies moved...

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll know better next time. As someone with 6 years of landscaping and plant experience I thought this paper towel method sounded like extra work, but I figured it'd be interesting to try all the same.

8. so do the paper towel method or don't Corto? What method do you use?