First grow, general problems, overthinking?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Froesey, Jan 23, 2010.

1. I recently inherited several plants. More specifically the two I'm concerned about are about 6 weeks old, are in miracle grow soil, and have not been given any nutes thus far. When i received these plants they were very healthy with no signs of stress or browning. Since i have not watered them since i received them (5 days ago- they are still moist an inch down) I can only assume my environment is causing all the problems.

Now these two plants in particular are plagued with the same problems. Brown tips and leaves curling upward "praying" in a v shape. After some research I concluded my lights were far to close for a few days (only 3 inches should be at least 6 especially since these lenses are suppose to be more focused) I am using 126w led grow light panels....so i figured that was the majority of the cupping problem. However I am just hoping that was it as i have now raised the lights to about 7'' and added a fan for circulation. Overall temperature doesn't seem to be a problem so I can only assume it was how close my lights were. After raising them a noticeable drop in the leaves was evident but they are still very curled. New growth nearly wrapping in itself and even older growth is bowed. More recently brown tips on both plants have appeared on almost all leaves and discolouration in new growth can be seen.

First what else can i do to correct the v shape. I have seen certain deficiencies cause this but since it was literally within days and multiple plants with nothing added it doesn't seem likely. And second are the brown tips just signs of the stress it went through or could it perhaps be time to start adding nutes?

Also I should add both these plants were suppose to be the same. The seeds were purchased from a seed bank and taken from the same package...feminized alaskan ice. Yet the two plants shown are clearly different. Input? Male? Random Strain?

Any input is appreciated, however i would like to state that i am not interested in people's oppinions on led lights and do not wish this to turn into a bash and defend discussion so please just advise and don't criticize.:)

Attached Files:

2. I just re-read your and the first thing that popped was "Miracle Grow". I've had terrible experiences with their soil and will never use it again. It's usually too hot, the pH fluctuates and it causes nutrient lock outs and root damage. Do you know if the soil has slow-release nutrients? Do you know what the last person's feeding regimen was? What is the pH of your soil? If your pH is off then it would make sense that the nutrients are locked out.

Looks like a zinc deficiency. I believe I can see interveinal chlorosis but what makes me believe it's not a magnesium deficiency is that you said that the pattern was showing on new shoots as well. Zinc not being a mobile element would show the deficiencies on the new parts of the plant. On the last picture the crispiness at the end looks like a calcium deficiency or conversely a phosphorous. However you most likely have an excess of phosphorous in the MG soil in which case, that, would cause a calcium deficiency by over-fertilization.

If your soil is slow release I'd flush 3x volume of pot with ph'd water to get rid of the excess salts and on the next transplant add some better soil. After flushing I find that any nute issues are solved within 2 weeks and in that same time the plant will happily pick up its vigorous growth. Hope your plant gets better =(

Peace.

3. I'd say your pots are too small and the plant on the left is stretched pretty bad.