First Grow, First Show...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by GCGlobal, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys this is my first journal,
    Technically my roommates doing it with me but when I write I don't act like that's the truth. So here's MY first grow, but FYI I've got some help. It's both of our first grow by the way. So...

This is my first grow and I bought this HPS light kit with a glass covered hood, ballast that says it can go 250w-1000w and we received both an MH and HPS bulb of 600w each.
    The thing is the MH was broken in half out of the box and the HPS was rattley but maybe that was the metal just when it was moving. It seems like this was a low key production but we got it straight from amazon through another company. There's no labels on any of it but it all seems solid enough and the light works.
    The hood is ginormous and it seems like air could really flow around in there or something. If anything there is a wide are of coverage I believe and I also think I'll be able to have this light very close. Im excited to see it all hold up and prove me right on a great deal. I don't have a fan, carbon filter or anything like that.
    I'll try to post some pics.

I'm a little thrown off and wondering if I can just use the HPS the whole way through or if it's worth it to wait till I get the hopeful replacement mh soon.

I'm growing in FoxFarms Ocean Farms soil in 3 gallon smart pots in which I plan to have LST'd plants growing on my first go. I originally wanted to go small but now think I want to go with 3-5 plants and just experience as I go.

For seeds I have 5 Seedsmans Seeds Nemesis seeds which is a hybrid sativa leaving strand that is said to be a heavy sativa hitter that flowers in 7-8 weeks. The taste and smell are rumored to be of a shitty quality but it's the high that I'm after... If it can produce fast and give me the gains and high that I want that's what I'm after and maybe for fun keep 1 or 2 seeds if I see some traits I might eventually want to keep if I breed down the line. Sorry im ranting! Haha

Anyways I've also got 2 Seedsmans White Widow that were the freebie and why I got the Nemesis in the first place.

ELERT: Roomatte says Green Lighting Works made the ballast.

I have a DNA generics Chcolope Kush that in stoked for and might hold off for a future mom.

Freebies was a G13 Pinaple Express and Dinafem Blue Dream... Saving BD but want to go with PE right off the bat.

Haven't germinated cause I predicted a possible broken bulb, bad vibes from me I know but I was being cautious which is why I want to know if I can just simply go HPS all the way and what the downsides are with that.

Thanks for any help, thanks for reading I'll keep this constantly updated and I'll do many a many a many pics for ya! Any criticism, help, harsh or not is welcome as long as its well intentioned advice.

I'm excited for this journey!

2. So these are my pics! Yay...

The first is the hood with the HPS in it connected to the ballast.

The second is the plastic top of the yoyo that kinda scares me thinking the thing will break and my whole setup crushes my poor little plants:/

Lastly I'm showing my closet that I'm growing in. 6 feet to the shelf, eight feet wide and three feet deep.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

3. Lol on ELERT man I was high last night I bought a bunch of super dank from my new guy and he smoked me out with bowls of every strain he had grinded together :D

Anyways I really would like some help with the light situation so I can freaking start! Lol and anyone willing to join the ride I promise you won't be disappointed. Y'all can even help with the seed choices if that gets you to stay;)

Idea! WW or Pinaple Express on the first go, whoever answers my light question first (unless I already found the answer myself ;) gets to choose which gets grown with the Nemesis. Both would be so fun though... Anyways I'm ranting, just looking for help and fun convo so come on down for some good ol fashioned fun- leave your money and booze at home- just remember, I CAN'T replace the girls I can only be your dr Phil. But who needs girls(girls welcome!!! More welcome than guys honestly) anyways, us guys stick together.

4. How do I edit posts instead of having to make new ones??? Well until I've got replies or new info im staying away from this...

Just saying- the reason I'm scared of HPS all the way is because I don't know how different the difference in light spectrum will affect the plants during veg and I'm a little scared it will stretch my girls... I've got the glass hood, but as of now now fan. My room stays in the 60s not sure but likely low 50s once I'm sleeping. I figure it'll be on in my room when in asleep but the ballast isn't too loud, but if the heat can stay constant I'd love showering my babies with light. Please help! Lol

5. So I know I keep posting and nobody's here so far... And technically that makes me crazy cause I'm talking to myself but I'll keep doing it for the future follower or two I get.

image-3650323035.jpg

-Here's my entire collection.

image-2932240412.jpg

-On the far left are three Nemesis seeds germinating on top of one paper towel.

-In the middle is my Pineapple Express that I'm really hoping is a great pheno, fingers crossed!

-On the far right is nothing other than a White Widow, let the journey begin!

image-1923403812.jpg

-Two paper towels for my girls to snuggle up under as they grow up!

image-3610233651.jpg

-Safe and sound in the cabinet, I'll check up on them in the AM! By the way I misted them until saturated and I particularly like the mist so that it didn't pool in any spot if I had used a cup or something.

image-761253911.jpg

-I am not using the yoyo's, just using the little hangs over the bar and I'm going to raise the seedlings and lower them as the grow instead ;)

image-240231373.jpg

-So here's the light, I moved it over to the side because the metal m-shaped thing droops down a little low. Oh! Yeeeee, I forgot to say I got a Slyvinia it whatever the lights are called 400w MH for 27 bucks at Lowes. A side note is the ballast is under the head of my bed because I have no extension cord but whatever I'll get one soon as well as a fan.

image-165003217.jpg

-The nursery I went to ran out of Fox Farms and will be out for weeks because the have Christmas trees now. I'll get some soon and I'll jut be using it for the beginning of veg.

image-3867385431.jpg

-It seemed to have a lot of high quality ingredients on the list but I know it probably could use perlite.

Night GC I'll update soon!

6. Go ahead and go hps all the way, it really won't hurt anything. I'm fairly certain there are people on here who don't switch bulbs at all.

7. I bought just a 400w MH for now...

8. I figured the wattage would be okay enough for veg with the HPS being 600w... It won't be that big of a deal in terms of growth difference because I went down in wattage right?

9. Not if you're only doing 1 or 2 at a time. Make sure your switch is set right.

10. My switch? I was planning on doing more plants than that and seeing what I could do.

11. There should be a dimmer switch that changes the power output so you can put in different bulbs without overloading and blowing them out.

12. Oh, and the more plants, the more light needed for the same results.

13. As for what I thought, I figured the ballast did it automatically because I didn't see switches on it, the manuel says it can do 250-1000 but I'll definitely look more into it.
    As for amount of plants I really just want to take on the full responsibility of making sure 5 plants make it so I can see a wider range of what happens to plants as they grow, cause the next cycle I really want to try to grow some fire genetics but not without some know how.

Thanks for the help!

14. So the manual says its an electronic not magnetic ballast if that helps, it has self adaptive currency adaptation but is that just for normal fluctuation and not an entire bulb? But it says on the ballast 600 watts... So idk I'm hoping I can just keep this 400w mh till I get the new 600 mh back.

15. Okay did some more personal searching and I'm taking the bulb back an since I already am germing I'm just gonna use the HPS till I get the replacement mh.

16. Okay guys since I did so many updates and don't know how to edit ill try for one a day...

image-1066271496.jpg

So here are the girls all ready to get snuggled under some cozy soil... The 3 on the left are Nemesis and two have sprouted while the third is looking eh. The middle is the Pineapple Express an man it looks insane! The sprout was huge and I could swear I already saw some green in the seed but I just let it be and am hoping for a quick grow! On the far right is the WW that seemed all good so I'm happy about that.

image-2276435587.jpg

First time under the glorious light!

image-94995927.jpg

Here's it all from afar, don't strain your eyes. Just put the seedlings under I figured it didn't matter until they come out.

image-3284157610.jpg

So the top corner connects to a neighbor.. I figured I'd be fine with this?

image-3302066129.jpg

My next task to solve... Blankets or tape the inside with tarp?

17. Okay so morning update... We had some issues and I hope I didn't tamper too much, but let's hope these girls are strong.

I've had trouble it seems with floating seeds when I watered idk... And this morning I found two seedling growing root up after I lightly uncovered the top layer of soil. The Pinapple Express is at least 1.5 inches long, curly though, and I found a loop root that I assumed was the leaf almost popping out. Well then I find the Nem 2 poking out... The tip of a root. I lightly dug around it and turned it over lightly covering it. The PE was next and like an excavation mission. I'm scared of the stress that was caused but am hoping for the best, I surfaced the seed a bit too because it was forming those two baby leaves!!!

It's like. I'm excited but I'm so nervous that the first sign of life were so potentially bad.

I looked at Nem 1 and it was fine so I recovered it and... Couldn't find the WW but am leaving it alone so I don't stress it. Man this is a rough way to start the growventure but I have faith!

Any pointers always taken

18. The taproot growing up isn't a problem. I plant mine like that purposely, the root curls over and grows down.

19. Crap that makes sense! Do you think I might have screwed it up then?

20. No, it should be fine, just let it be and it will do what it has to in order to survive.