First Grow - Finished Product Need Help Curing

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Boogie.Smack, Aug 4, 2008.

1. how does putting your plants in 24 hours of dark "deactivate" the chlorophyll?

2. The possible involvement of nucleic acid and protein synthesis in light-regulated chlorophyll formation by rapidly greening leaves has been studied.

Removing leaves from illumination during the phase of rapid greening results in a reduction in the rate of pigment synthesis; cessation occurs within 2 to 4 hours. Etiolated leaves which exhibit a lag in pigment synthesis when first placed in the light do not show another lag after a 4 hour interruption of illumination during the phase of rapid greening.

Actinomycin D, chloramphenicol, and puromycin inhibit chlorophyll synthesis when applied before or during the phase of rapid greening. Application of δ-amino-levulinic acid partially relieves the inhibition by chloramphenicol.

It is suggested that light regulates chlorophyll synthesis by controlling the availability of δ-aminolevulinic acid, possibly by mediating the formation of an enzyme of δ-aminolevulinate synthesis. This process may result from gene activation or derepression; the involvement of RNA synthesis of some sort is suggested by the inhibitory effect of actinomycin D on chlorophyll production by rapidly greening leaves.

"Plant Physiol. 1967 June; 42(6): 774–780."

3. Sorry, in other words it doesn't deactivate chlorophyll, but it may stop the production of chlorophyll by decreasing the availability of δ-aminolevulinic acid.

4. how big was the plant when sent into flower? is that bud in a jar just from 1 plant or all 3? Also how much did u yied?

5. #25 Boogie.Smack, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008

It was about 20-24 inches tall (I forgot). The end height was only about 47 inches, 1 inch under 4 feet. The glass jar you see only has half of the plant in it, the other half was in another jar. The overall yeild from this 1 plant was 33 (dry) grams.

That may help in next harvest. Whatever takes the chlorophyll smell out. Then I think would have the true density and smell to it that I was expecting.

Thanks for all the info from everyone, keep it coming!!

6. cool, thanks for the info, im fixing to flower my 1st plant, i have her in a 5 gallons of soil, and she is 3 ft in veg, i was just trying to get a idea of what i could expect off my plant

+rep

7. I wanted to know the answer to that one too? ....lol

8. bro, the hay or cut grass smell is perfectly normal. it can last several weeks. its the chlorophyll breaking down. on my personal harvest, it doesnt start getting the classic mj smell for at least 4 weeks into curing.

the only way I know of to speed up the breakdown of chlorophyll is to water cure it over a 7 day period. there are tutorials here that describe this method. I havent tried it myself.

linedrivr

9. I've read somewhere that the size of the soil they are going to grow in will make an impact on final size, for example: 2 gallon pot will be about a 4 foot plant, 3 gallon pot will be about a 5 foot, and 4 gallons and up will be 6 feet or more. I used a 2 gallon pot and was off 4 feet by 1 inch (47 in). I only have 6 1/2 feet of head room and I have a custom light fixture that fits 8 floro lights, it also takes off a good foot of head room so my plants was a perfect size for my space with only 5 1/2 feet.

I was interested in water curing but I dont want to run the risk of mold. Because I'm on a tight budget I try to look for something around the house I could use before I spend money on something that I could find lying around. It just seems like the grassy smell is an unfamiluar smell when your used to smelling it in the smokable phase. I would like somemore information and water curing if anyone has any.

10. [quote name='Boogie.Smack']I've read somewhere that the size of the soil they are going to grow in will make an impact on final size, for example: 2 gallon pot will be about a 4 foot plant, 3 gallon pot will be about a 5 foot, and 4 gallons and up will be 6 feet or more. I used a 2 gallon pot and was off 4 feet by 1 inch (47 in). I only have 6 1/2 feet of head room and I have a custom light fixture that fits 8 floro lights, it also takes off a good foot of head room so my plants was a perfect size for my space with only 5 1/2 feet.

im growing under flouros aswell, 6 4ft T12, thanks for the info on the soil, i heard it was 1ft for every 1 gallon i guess i was wrong lol, thanks

11. Its a trick I got from another grower. His explanation was, the clorophyl is no longer processing the light there for "deactivating" it and eliminating the green smell. All I know is ever since I started doing it my harvests taste and smell better.