First grow. Fifth week flower.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by curtlsj, Dec 1, 2016.

1. How do they look? 5th week in flower

Strain is Sour Cookies. 4 plants. 600w
    Fox Farm Ocean soil

Just did a flush. Back on feed schedule today with Tiger Bloom Fox Farm Big Bloom.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. They look good. Nice work. They're a little stretchy, kind of wide node spacing. Hopefully they fill out more in the next couple of weeks. It looks like good progress. How big are those pots?

3. 3 gallon. I gotta figure out how to keep the height even. That one plant in the back right is like 6 inches higher. I had to prop the others up on something to try and even out.

4. Tie a good size 1# or more fishing weight to a thick string. Tie it around the tall tops about 8-12" from the tip. Set the length just perfect so it pulls the top down horizontal and throw the fishing weight in the corner. You can do that to all the ones sticking above the canopy. It's better if you do it earlier. When they're still growing in height they will turn back up towards the light. At this stage they might not but it's worth a try.

Most people go up to 5 gallon or bigger to finish but if you're using bottled nutrient is doesn't matter as much.

5. A trellis net thrown over may be a good thing. I probably would wait till next grow to do any changing though.

6. Thanks for the input. Will only using 3 gallon buckets stunt the growth or bud production? I'll have to try all this for the next grow. Baby steps lol

7. It used to be said bigger pot, bigger plant. I think that myth has been busted by some people growing full size plants out of those large rockwool cubes alone, those are usually on drip systems though. When a plant gets bigger it can really suck down the water/nutrients. Soil growing is a cycle of watering the plant and allowing it to dry to aerate. It's easy to overwater. You do have to have that aeration period for overall health, but you can slightly starve a plant in a small pot if can only get to it once a day.

A 3 gallon pot only holds about a quart of water at feeding, maybe 1/2 gallon. A large plant in full bud will suck it dry every day most likely so you'll be watering almost every day towards the end. A 5 gallon or 7 gallon is going to allow you to do larger watering less often. Maybe every two days and possibly be more ideal if the plant really starts sucking water down, you can go to every day in the 5 gallon which holds much more water/nutirents depending on the soil mixture.

Smaller pots trap you into daily watering when the plant gets large and can stunt growth if you aren't able to feed/water it as much as it could suck up because of the limits of the container. It really depends on how large you like to grow your plant and how much headroom you have for light, ect. Maybe you want to keep them in 3 gallons so you end up a certain size?

8. I did a 6 week veg so they were pretty sizable when I went to flower. Honestly I do not have the space to get them any bigger. If I went with 5 gallon I would probably need to veg no longer then 4, maybe 5 weeks.

I tend to water every other day once all the run off is sucked up. Being a rookie I've been scared to let them dry out at all, but that's interesting advice. I didn't know giving them a break like that is good for overall health. I think I will switch to 5 gallon next time to allow for more water in the pots. Thanks again!!

9. I grew this strain last year, The bud is fire. Don't expect a big yield tho.