First Grow - Feminised ppp under t5's

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by SlippySlappy, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Here is a 2nd seedling, this one is a few days old, it's sprouted up quickly but the cotyledon's aren't opening. I got the runoff on the rockwool preconditioned to around 5-6, so hopefully this one will work out.

Attached Files:

2. hey man.. are running these in soil or hydro?

if it's soil.. then definately ditch that rockwool man..

also this feminized PPP is really hermie prone. I highly recommend removing the bottom branches right before flowers start to form.. but we have time for that.
    i'm subscribed.. best of luck man!

3. more prone to hermies? hmm didnt know that

good info :hello:

4. yeah.. ive run A LOT of that feminised PPP from seed, and every single one of them gave me male flowers.. some worse than others.
    imo the bud is so good that it's worth it if you can find one that's able to be controlled.

the one i'm running now, just hermies a little at the bottom.. so i just remove the botom branches after the stretch and no hermies.

5. so like all fem PPP turn hermies?

wow...even dutch passions?

6. Hi, thanks for the info August. Only reason I'm trying rockwool is because I have a waterfarm that I was going to try and grow this in. I have 3 seeds left, so may try to do one in soil a well. If this one gets to the point of getting bigger I'd appreciate knowing how to prevent it from becoming a hermie. Thanks again everyone for looking in. I'll post some pictures tonight of it.

7. Here's an update on the seedling, 2 leaves have come out now. It's still under the dome which is keeping the rockwool moist, I haven't done anything to the rockwool in a few days now. Should I continue keeping it under the dome now? I've opened the dome up 3 or 4 times today to get some fresh air in there. Temps in the dome are around 75-80.

Attached Files:

8. this baby is looking much much better so far :)

9. Thanks, hopefully she got a healthy hit of your grow karma!! Should I leave it under the dome for awhile longer?

10. Hi everyone, here are some latest pic's, seems to be doing better than the first attempt. It spent the day out of the dome and about 1 inch or so from the light. Growing a little crooked, but seems strong when I brush it. Added some ph'd distilled water to the rockwool today for the first time since it's been under the dome. Temps are mid 70's with the light on it and goes down to 65 or so at night with the lights out. Lighting it 18/6 now.

Attached Files:

11. lookin good still :D much better then last time. Nice lush green leaves

12. Thanks Myles, hopefully it keeps it up. How much light can I safely give it? Or is that 24w t5 plenty for now? Reason I ask, is because I got my 4 foot t5 8 tube light in the mail the other day and can turn on 4 of it's 54w bulbs. I was setting the up and wondering when I could move it under that light. What kind of RO unit did you get, one of the portable ones that you can hook up to a faucet or one that you tap into the water lines? I think I'll need to get one because our water is really bad here.

13. I started mine the same way. This was my first grow so I had not idea what to do besides what I read here (thanks to all). Most of my seedlings did well. I sprouted in paper towels and transferred to the cubes. I kept them under a dome 100% of the time for the first 7-10 days. I watered them by dipping the bottom half of the cube very quickly into a bowl of water once a day. That rockwool absorbs fast! I kept my 125W CFL about 5" over the plants and kept this system up until I had roots coming out of the bottom.

Hope this helps!

Current grow:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-grow-journals/333049-first-time-w-pics-need-advice.html

Attached Files:

14. Thanks for the info Tap. Think I should put mine back under the dome? It's only about 3-4 days old now. Yours look great.

15. I kept them under the dome until they were transplanted to the garden. I am not near as experienced as the board, but this worked well for me.

The other key component was a seedling heat mat under the tray. This seemed to really accelerate growth, although you cannot miss a day of watering because the rockwool dries fairly fast. As others mentioned, pH control is critical. I took a gallon of RO water, added a drop of SuperThrive, let it sit out overnight with the lid off, and adjusted the pH to a range of 5.5-6.5. I didn't have a meter at that time either, but once I got one I found out I was pretty damn close to my pH indicator drop testing.

Good luck!

16. Great, I had just removed my seedling mat and was wondering if that was smart or not. Does get kind of cool where it is in the basement with the lights out. I think I'll turn that back on. Thanks.

17. Your new grow is looking a lot more promising than the first seedling for sure. It could have just been a bad seed. I germed a feminized BBC seed and it popped up, but the cotyledon didn't pop out for a while. It was just a stem with a seed on top and it looked really funny. When it finally did break through the seed shell my leaves were all wrinkled and messed up looking. I treated it the same as all my other plants, but it's growth was slow. Sometimes the seed just isn't all there, kind of like a child born handicapped.

I'm kind of confused on whether or not you're growing organically or hydro. I think Myles was saying something about soil and so did you, but I don't think it was officially clarified.
    ANYWAYS everything is looking great now, and I'm officially subscribing my friend. Best of luck!

18. hey thunder thor, he said he has a waterfarm that he wants to use. I wasn't sure if he was growin in soil or water but he filled us in.

and i totally know what ya mean with seedlings, i've had a couple "handicapps" and they just seem to be in their own lil world haha

19. Hey everyone, here are some more pic's. Seems to be doing okay. Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Attached Files:

20. dude it makes me so happy seein that seedling doing so much better. karma can make such a difference ;) So this baby will be hoppin in a hydrofarm once its established in that cube right? Should be fun to watch it grow in that :D