First Grow Ever! Come and See! Needs alot of Help!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by Youngrasshopper, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hey there, I just got my first successful germination happen. Ive tried 3 times and this time was the charm I had over 5 seeds germinate with tap roots over an inch this time! I don't know what strain it is cause I wasn't exactly sure what it was when I bought the bud. When it gets older maybe someone can let me know what it is.

Anyways, its been 4 days since I germed them and I will post pics up soon!

Try to comment on my set up, it isnt perminant, since I am moving it.

I'll bbl with the pics!

Thanks for all the help that I will hopefully get!

-Young Grass Hopper

2. Ok, so back with my first picks of my grow...

This is day 5 (including the amount of time in germination)
    Without germination time, this should be about 3 days in.

All 3 of my plants (so far) are in the pics.
    Sorry for the poor quality, I took it with my camera phone, and even though it does have 2 mega pixels the HPS lighting system that I have to keep it warm for now since the Flourescents arent making them warm enough makes those lines on the camera =/.

Tell me what you think!
    What should I do?
    Ask me about my setup!
    Ask me anything cause I want and need critisism!

Thanks for all your help!

-Youngrasshopper:hello:

Attached Files:

3. setup and plants looks good so far man, what kindof soil are u using?

4. using just normal potting soil, has some perlite in it, some wood chips, not much, dont want to kill my plants with nute burn ya know

5. If you use organic nutes such as earth juice you can use nutes from day one, i did. Also you can use any nutes you want as long as you dilute it alot. I personally think you should use nutes from day one. Why not start them off strong?

[​IMG]

6. CoreyP, that looks a lot like a very high yielding enviornment.

7. Ok, I'm a little new at this, where can I buy nutes that wont kill my plant, and how do I measure how much nute I add and how much water I add?

Thanks,

Youngrasshopper

P.S. Adding pics today.

8. CoreyP, that's bad advice imho. If the soil has enough nutrients in it already, and most potting soils do (maybe even too strong), then you might not need to feed until after they are repotted. If you feed before they need it you can fk up your grow very easily. With little seedlings like yours, there is enough food stored in the seed to keep it going without any nutrients in the soil at all, don't even think about feeding yet!

9. thank you so much chillywilly!

Wow, I almost fucked my plants up aha

10. When should I change from my 4x60w Fluorescent setup to my 1x400w HPS setup?

like how tall should my plants be

11. you can grow them under the 400 from seed, but you need to be v. careful not to fry them. I'd wait until they are a few inches tall and growing well - maybe a week or two depending how well they do? There's no point in trying to force them yet, they need to put on at least some decent leaves/roots before they can make use of the hps, same with nutes. otoh, the hps will really boost growth, so don't wait too long!

12. Thanks for the advice Chillywilly,

I'm just getting some things done around the house and I'll take pictures of them tonight and post them.

Also, I am moving my grow space to a new area, so it may be a few days until I take pics again.

Also, I added an extra plant. Hopefully it does well =].

Thanks,

-Youngrasshopper

13. It's possible to grow your plants from seed to harvest with an HPS alone. Strap yourself up with the Phillips (i think?) 430watt Agro something or another (basically it has an enhanced blue part of the spectrum for vegetative growth) and do it up. The difference between this and flourescents of course is that the HPS must be a considerable amount further away from the seedlings. I believe 3' is the farthest away that it should be positioned, and then with time, it can be moved in closer.
    Good Luck

14. Ok, back again...

Sorry about the delay. It has been 9 days since germination (7 days planted), and they are starting to look really good =].

I think if I look down from a birds-eye view, I can see a second pair of leaves about to sprout up.

Also, I added one more plant because I didn't want to take the chance of getting no females. It is a slow starter since I kept it in a hot room for a long time, so that is why it's limpy.

I will keep posting picks as they get bigger.

Tell me what you guys think. When do you think I should move to my HPS 400w? Also, do you think I should mix my 400w HPS with my 4 Fluorescents?

My 400w HPS has 55,000 lumens, each fluorescent has 800 lumens, in total it would be 58,200 lumens, or should I not both with the fluorescents?

Try to get back to me!

Thanks,

-Youngrasshopper

Attached Files:

15. It's day 10.

Was wondering if you guys can give me any info on what to do next?

These are the few questions that I really need to be answered.

1) When should I add nutes?
    2) When should I make the 400w HPS the main lighting system, and how far away should it be?
    3) How often should I water them and should I de-chlorinate the water?
    4) When should I be able to tell sex?

Thanks for all the support guys/gals!

Yours truly,

-Youngrasshopper

16. Well as a first time grower like yourself I've had some good success so far after reading all I could through these threads. Your looking good so far, but I wouldn't think of adding any nutes. I didn't and mine are growing strong. I don't have an HPS lighting system, but I do remember readings somewhere here on the site that you'll have to watch your temperature and humidity alot closer with a high powered lamp such as you own. I think it said something like 3", but don't quote me. I run with 6 cfls pushing out 192w of daylight. I'm not sure what your dedicated grow spot is gonna be like, but I have a closet sealed off with fans whatnot to regulate my temp and humidty. About de-chlorinate the water; I don't think that your water from the tap has all that much in it. There are two choices though. You could buy distilled water and keep it at room temp, or you could do what I do. Buy a $6 liquid pH test kit and regulate your tap water with uppers or downers, it's really easy. For your final question, which I think is the most over asked question on the site, I'll leave that for you to find out by reading the threads on this wonderfully free website. Every answer you could ever wanted is imbeded within these pages. Enjoy and good luck with your grow man. I hope the info I did provide you with will help somewhat. If you'd like to check out my progress follow this link.......http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/189085-my-grow.html

17. Day 11...

Here are some pics...

they are doing pretty well I think,

When do you guys think I'll need to put them into the 5 gallon buckets and start feeding them nutes?

Attached Files:

18. fuck... Fuck... FUCK... FUCK!!!!!

Ok, I have had my little babies for about 11 days now, I left them over night under a HPS 400w... NOW THEY ARE FRIED EXCEPT FOR 1 of them!!!

So, I urgently watered them ALOT, put them under fluorescents, and im praying to god that they dont die...

I mean they are crunchy, like leaves in autum cruncy... do you think they will die?!?!?!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!:(:(:(

19. Fuck, here are my plants, all fuckin crunchy and shit from the horrible HPS system that I had =[

Hopefully they survive and continue to grow.

Day 11

(the pictures are in this other post I had)

Click here for the pictures!