first grow ever. ALL HELP APPRECIATED!

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by agengo02, Oct 23, 2008.

1. so i feel i have a pretty good grasp of how things will work. got the seeds germinating right now. nothing bought or fancy, just some great weed seeds. they are all tiger striped so im confident they will grow. doing 2 different types of germination with about 20 seeds total to ensure that something will sprout. the plan is to only keep 1 plant because im a firm believer that greed ruins the world. dont want anything more than what is needed for now and definitely dont want to tempt fate! ok enough philosophical mumbo jumbo, heres the plan:

seeds are soaking in water right now using 2 germ. methods

soil is in 3 plastic cups with slits for drainage and aeration

planting 3 seeds per cup and keeping the overall best looking single plant

getting a 3 bulb light tree thing

starting off with 1 cfl 100watt bulb and doing 18 hrs light, 6 hrs dark

the room is in the attic smoke room with all white walls and no windows

gonna let it veg until it gets 20" high

then switching to 12hrs light, 12 hrs dark with using 3 100watt cfl bulbs to spur flowering

then looking for male or female characteristics (its my understanding that you wont know the sex until right about the flowering stage. i may also keep up to 3 plants through veg stage to ensure that at least 1 will be a female as long as the smell is not bad.)

then looking for the crystals to be the right color then harvesting!

ill have good air flow, but here is my question about filtering the smell
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/285233-few-qs-about-growing.html#post3195343
    any help with this aspect is greatly appreciated.

welp i will update with pics later if i get a sprout.

thanks for reading/input

"live by your own set of morals, not by the morals of some fat cat in DC"

Philippians 4:13 - I can do ALL things through Christ which strengthens me.

:smoke:

2. Yo Agengo, glad to see your starting this wonderful hobby. Just a few things though.....

1. 20 seeds and going to keep 1?? That's a nice waste of 18 seeds man. I assume they are all just bagseed cause otherwise you wouldn't be wasting them like that. How would you possibly know your 1 plant would be a female until about a month later?? Makes no sense IMO... Oh, just read the end there, I would still keep more than 3 of 20 though.

2. 3 plants per cup? MJ plants dont really like that, they need their own room to grow and root and flourish. Its just a couple more plastic cups, should be no issues there.....

3. When you say 100w CFL, you have to make sure it is actual watts, not the other. What I mean is that a 23 or 26w CFL = 100 watt incandescent (reg. bulb) But you will want alot more than that for even 1 plant. 3 x 25 = 75w, its a start... def going to want more in flower though.

4. lastly, until they really start growing you can have the light on more than 18/6. try starting out 24/0 for a week or 2 then maybe 20/4. Up to you but more light = more growing.

Cant really help with the last one. I've never had any problems with smell just growing in my closet. Is anyone going to be up there or near the plants that shouldn't be. You got a while to figure it out, shouldn't be too stinky till flower.

GL!

3. def took your consideration and changed my setup...already! for starters im going to get busy tomorrow wiring up my attic for power. going to hook it up to the laundry room switch so whenever that light is on, i know my pot lite is on. but i have the perfect enclosure. we have large boxes at work that are 4'x3'x3' that will be perfect. dont laugh but im stoned and got creative! this is a picture of how my setup will be.
    brief summary:
    -box from work (super thick cardboard)
    -dowl rod across the top to mount the 4 light track light (will house 4-60watt cfl's)
    -2 computer intake fans (no size picked yet)
    -1-4" exhaust setup (http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-roo...fficient-diy-carbon-scrubber.html#post3137711
    )
    -thermostat/humidity

[​IMG]

just about the bare minimum for a secret grow i figure. i think the lights will be enough for 3 plants until flowering then 1 plant. i can easily add more if needed. will probably hook it up to a timer as well. right now i got "sunrise" at 12midnight. im almost always home at noon and midnight so the flowering schedule will be ok.

[​IMG]

and here are the little beautys right now. the only 3 seeds that dropped in the germination process and the best 3 of the bunch. using this growing writeup:

http://www.weedsthatplease.com/germinating.htm

questions so far:
    will 4-60watt cfls be enough for 3 during veg state and 1 during flowering stage? 240watt enough?
    im pretty set on the 4" exhaust, but what size computer fans should i use?

ill update with more progress. thanks for looking and bounce some ideas off me.

4. Hey man. I would fill your cups with more soil. Once those seedlings pop out they're gonna start reaching for the top of the cup for light. :) Once it's popped it's head out, carefully lift it out, put more soil underneath and replace it.

GL.:smoke:

5. Or I guess you could just trim the top of your cup... might be easier. :) They'll need bigger popts quite quickly though, there's not much soil in there.

6. wow for sure man! Put more soil in those cups. fill them up all the way with soil you don't have anywhere close to enough in there

7. ok i see yalls point. i will trim the cups down so as not to damage the plant. i have 3 pots that are ready to go with soil in them and up in the same room so everything will be the same temp.

8. Speaking of soil. Is that just backyard soil? If so, did you sterelize it?

Also, do you have drainage holes in those cups? I can't tell from the pics.

9. 4 slits down the sides of each cup for drainage. the soil is Organic Choice potting mix.

10. ok no sprouts yet, but thats to be expected. believe it or not we actually have a sprout on one of our plants we tried outside. straight up put hard ass clay soil in a pot, dug about a 1/2" deep hole and threw 3 or 4 seeds in it. set it outside next to the workshop and now theres a little 1" sprout!

ooh so i got bored and rolled this. thought yall'd enjoy:

[​IMG]

going to the gf's parents house tonight and gonna blaze that up with her mom. ill let yall know how it smokes

:smoke:

11. Nice sandals man.....but no seriously ill help later, these guys got u covered

12. welp just spent 2k the past 2 days to get our gas line fixed cuz weve been without hot water for 2 months. welp now the gas is on, but the hot water heater has to be replaced!?! ever feel like its just 1 thing after a fucking other! so cant buy anything for a little while, but once i get the box on sunday ill be set for a while. hopefully they can sprout soon. they get 6 hrs of night at 6pm local time.

13. Hey man, in the picture of your grow room (or box I should say) you have a little note in the bottom right saying "only keep one female." Why is that? Keep all the females you can, and I'd save one male in a different box in case you wanted to produce more seeds for your next grow.

14. well im a little apprehensive about growing in the first place, so i told myself that id ONLY keep 1 plant at a time. i try to be as least greedy as i can be and hopefully itll work out for me in the end. it has so far.

15. Its not a bad idea, at least for your next grow you'll know what levels of water and nutes to use. Plus is gives you time to buy more light in etc, and get your grow room fully organised how you want it.

So hows it coming along anyway?

16. welp just had to drop $139 on a new thermocouple for my water heater and it may or may not completely fix the problem...

ok my life is too depressing...time to go smoke a bowl. this place needs a chatroom or something!

oh and how do i put those thumbnail pics on here?

17. UPDATE:

ok so trimmed the tops of the cups off as suggested and i transplanted the little sprout from outside to inside under the light. should i have left it outside and see what it would do? here is a pic. hopefully wal mart is open tonight so i can get one of them plugs that has like 4 light sockets in it. the original tree thing was a bust. yes i know its too crowded but im fixing that tonight. heres the pic:

[​IMG]

i put more soil up the main stem. i heard this promotes growth. it is about 3 inches.

18. If you only want to keep one female, that's ok. ship the others to smebody else who can take care of them. NEVER waste a female, every stoner knows that.

You could keep just one female... keep it as a mother plant, keep it in a veg state, and sell the clones. That way, you make money every two weeks, and you stick to your plan.

nice job! looks like you got a sprout! good luck!!!

19. def not gonna sale anything. trying to keep low key and outta trouble! just hooked up a timer, but still looking for an extension cord with 4 light sockets attached to it. just cant find one anywhere!

oh and i just checked them and the little sprout is standing straight up now reaching for the light!! still no sprout or sign of anything for the other ones. more updates after work. laters.

20. reminds me of my grow lol!