First Grow - Euro by the Sea Grow - Bubble Bucket

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by lifeisneat, Mar 9, 2007.

1. A bit short with the introductions here, but heres the beginning of my first grow.

Notes:

Rockwool isn't availible where I am at.
    Neither is anything similar, so I kinda winged it.

This is a free, as in beer alternative to rockwool.

See the dirt/fiber like brown substance? That is was these round balls of (I belive seaweed) that I collected at the beach. I rinsed with tap water, then steamed them for 5-10 mins in a vegetable steamer, and rinsed them again to remove microbes, and salinity. Then I broke the balls up into the fibrous matierials.

The addtional matierial seen easily in pic3 is a natural sponge. What I did to create a support system for ease of transplanting and a good medium for the roots to stretch.

Heres the assembly instructions, get a natural sponge, cut it to create round tubes, it doesnt matter if the strips don't create one contingoues tube, I used rubber bands around several strips of the sponge to create a tube in which I then packed with the seaweed fibers.

After transplanting to the hydro bubblers, I cut the rubberbands to allow the trunk/stem and roots expansion without having to remove the sponge, not to mention the roots hold the sponge together well.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      88.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      87.6 KB
      Views:
  2. This is the fertilizer/nutes I have been using thus far, but I'm pretty sure they are lacking. Its difficult for me to find proper nutrients here.

I need to spend some more time shopping but I don't have a choice atm.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
    • complesal2.jpg
      complesal2.jpg
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
  3. Lighting: 1 x 250w OSRAM POWERSTAR HQI-T 250W/D Bulb (MH)

Does anyone else have the problem with cats showing up, sunning themselves in their growroom? http://forum.grasscity.com/images/smilies/stonedsmilie.gif

Buckets are 20 litre sealable, with 14cm opening

Net pots arent availible either. I used a regular pot and drilled some addition holes I hope its sufficient though.

I originally made this type of net pots, but due to a miscalculation on my clay ball size (which was rolled as well by hand(s)) they kept falling out, and overall was a poor design choice.

Making adjustments to grow guides for metric has been fun. http://forum.grasscity.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Attached Files:

4. Nice idea on the grow medium.
    I will address your leaf problem in your sick plants thread. Your nutes look perfect; they have all the micro nutrients which is good.