First Grow: Equipment and Cost Round-Up

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HeThatAbides, Oct 15, 2012.

1. I'm trying to gather information and figures for my first grow, which I'm anticipating I'll start next year, so far I've got various pieces of equipment I've looked at and I'm hoping people here could help me know if there is anything I missed or anything I might find a more cost effective substitute for.

Organic Components

Seeds
    5 First Lady (White Widow) Feminised
    $90

Soil
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    $20

Nutrients
    BMO
    $25

Equipment

Germination
    Solo Cups
    $8 for 50

Grow Tent
    Virtual Sun Grow Tent - 48'' x 24'' x 60''
    $100

Light
    Virtual Sun 1000 Watt HPS MH Grow Light Winged Reflector Hood Digital Kit - Dimmable w/ Metal Halide Bulb
    $280

Humidefier
    Sunpentown® SU - 2081 Digital Ultrasonic Humidifier w/ Sensor
    $50

Heater
    Lasko 5365 Ceramic Pedestal Heater with Remote Control
    $50

Timer
    GE 7-Day 8-Outlet Power Strip Timer
    $20

Ventilation/Filtration
    Carbon Cannon 1 Filter, and 6" Cannon Fan Combo and 6' Flexible Ducting
    $210

Planters
    3 Gallon Nursery Pots
    $13

Total Cost
    $866

My plan is to defray the costs by getting a few investors together, friends who could put in an initial dose of cash in exchange for a pound down the road once I've done a grow or two with the equipment. I'm also wondering what music I should play for them, I've looked into it and there is god evidence that music help the plants grow, anybody have a particular soundtrack they play for their "Babies"? Bob Marley and Afro Man seem like obvious choices :D

2. I would suggest not getting some friends together for the grow. That would be a huge mistake. Now if u want to take a loan from someone without telling them ur growing then that would be a better idea.

There are hundreds of stories on the web of people either getting busted or ripped by having loose lips. You should shoot for absolute secrecy if u are serious about growing. If it can't be done then u should probably wait until a time that it can be a secret.

3. I know, I'm aware the main reason people get busted is loose lips, but I have a few people I would trust with secrets that would get me in far more trouble, I appreciate the concern but this is one thing I don't need to be told.

4. It would be more cost effective to make your own grow tent to maximize the space. plus its cheaper..

Why do you need a heater? That light puts out a ton of heat so save yourself the money....

Also their are many post that shows you how to make your own Carbon filter for 50 bucks..

Also nothing wrong with starting off with a 600w combo It's way cheaper for the eletric bill.

But really all of this is up to you my friend just my 2cents

5. Lucky wish I had friends like that.

6. #6 HeThatAbides, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
    Alright, nix the heater, but upon further research it seems that building your own grow tent costs just as much if not more if you want it to be as good as what you'll find online, so that stays. Good looking out on the filter idea though, found a cheap and simple plan for it within minutes of searching, thanks bro.:cool: