First Grow. Day 35... Flowering Question???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ithinkicannabis, May 6, 2009.

1. I know I'm supposed to wait for alternating nodes, but my babies are getting pretty big and I'm afraid I'll run out of space! What will happen if I induce flowering now (w/ non-alternating nodes)?

Attached Files:

2. you can flower whenever you want
    the plants are going to get a lot bigger in the flowering stage if that helps

3. Well... I've read that it can cause a plant stress and therefore you run the risk of getting a hermie if you flower before it's mature. But then again I've also seen many, many examples of going 12/12 from seed with nothing bad happening, so I think it's fine.

4. #4 snax4daze, May 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
    usually alternating nodes come after flowering has begun. if you have identified the sex of your plants you can feel free to cycle them into flowering. you should put your ladies in 24 hours of darkness before starting flowering. this does a couple of things: resets the plants internal clock, if sex hasn't been established the darkness will allow the plant to sex quicker into flowering, you will be able to finish flowering about a week earlier, and it gives it time to build up some of the hormones that go into resin production later in flowering. you shouldn't experience any adverse effect with 24 hours of darkness...i know some folks will extend this out to 48 or 36 hours but i think with the longer dark cycles you run the risk of stressing your plant to hermie.

5. I have a question I germinated slash sprouted a seed planted it did everything right and 3 days later still no sign of progress.

is this normal or is somting bad happening.:confused:

6. it can take a hot second for your seed to germinate...if you just planted the seed into the growing medium then it may take as many as 14 days to germinate. however, if you actually popped (ie: soaked in water for 24hours or 3 days between moist papertowel until the taproot showed) your seeds before planting them then it usually takes 3-5 days to sprout. you should keep the grow medium moist (cover with plastic wrap or use a dome over propagation trays) and warm (use a heating pad under the tray if possible - keep temp in the 85-90 range) and wait for them to sprout.

7. Yep, decide how tall you can let them get and flower accordingly. ;)

Generally, indica dominant may double their height in flower and sativa dominant the fucking sky is the limit (it seems whenever I grow one, but they can triple or more their height during flowering).

I've flowered at 4 weeks and no alternating nodes before with no ill effect, except yield loss. Two weeks veg with White Widow.

Some folks flower from seed, but the results didn't appeal to me.
    I'm with you about it being fine. I've never seen an increase hermies if I flower before alternating nodes.
    No, they start when the plant is mature. A lot of strains (again, indica dominant) around the 6 week mark or so, so if you don't flower until after the 6-7 week mark, you'll see alternating nodes. Hell, some I've grown start at the 4 week mark.
    Or just pull out the males as they show. ;)
    Eh, I've never found much (actually, any) difference when doing this.
    Maybe...Again, not from my experience.
    What??? Please link me to some study showing that. Never heard of that before and certainly not in my experience. I've tried 24, 48 and 72 hour (72 NOT recommended).
    I don't know about that but can't prove ya wrong, so willing to be taught. :D
    First off, you shouldn't hijack somebody's thread...;)

At the start of the grow period, roots are being established and that might account for your lack of above soil growth...My second guess would be not enough light.

Good luck on your grows. :cool:

8. thanks for your help I will give it a couple more days them plant more see what happens.

I didnt want to start a thread and didnt know where to ask this but thanks for the advise :)

9. Quote:
    \t\t\t\t\tOriginally Posted by snax4daze [​IMG]
    usually alternating nodes come after flowering has begun.

No, they start when the plant is mature. A lot of strains (again, indica dominant) around the 6 week mark or so, so if you don't flower until after the 6-7 week mark, you'll see alternating nodes. Hell, some I've grown start at the 4 week mark.

...according to jorge cervante's grow bible (pg 62 - fifth edition), "Branching changes when a seedling enters the flowering stage...Branching changes to asymmetrical when plants enter the flowering growth stage." but with autoflowering being all the rage (i hear tell there's an auto flowering diesel now) I wouldn't be shocked if there are strains that show alt nodes before flowering.

i wish i could point you to a study regarding the uptick in hormones which produce resin but i am basing it on a friend who has been growing for 9+ years. he swears to the 24 hour dark period before starting flowering based on the realignment of the plants internal clock and the higher levels of resinous bud he produces. considering he's grown for so long consistently and has done different types of grows (ie: outdoors in Jamaica, indoors, hydro) and that many of his other grow techniques have proven valid (he consistently produces high numbers of female plants - 70 to 80 percent - from non-feminized seeds) I tend to believe he might be on to something....

10. I believe ya man, i dunno if its cuz my plants are autoflowers but they seem to do the most growth when i turn the light off to the time i turn the light back on...lol weird huh, but its true....go figure.

11. Well, I hate to break it to you but Jorge is full of shit on some of the things he writes about. First there was his famous "cannabis needs a dark period because of the calvin cycle" (which is pure unadulterated bullshit) and now we have this. :D

Marijuana Botany Chapter 1 - Sinsemilla Life Cycle of Cannabis
    Marijuana Canada

12. LMAO....okay cervantes is not yoda.....:smoke:

lesson learned.

13. Thanks, everyone, informative stuff as always! I think I'm going to wait until they are fully mature, I don't want to risk any yield loss. So logically, the bigger the plant, the more bud producing potential? :smoking: