First grow, creating the box (PC Case)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Mogi, Nov 16, 2011.

1. #21 Mogi, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
    [​IMG]
    (day 17)

This is the day after the replant, I started the training. This is right after I tied it, so it wasn't aiming up yet.

[​IMG]
    (day 21)

The training is going well, it's accepted its new position and is now aiming upwards after the tie. The plan is to have it go the whole way around the 'box' of string, so once it's a bit taller I'll tie it to the next corner, etc.

Also, the days probably don't even matter now, I just realised I had something pushing against my light timer so it's been delayed heavily. It's 13 hours out just now, but that could mean 13 hours, or 1 day 13 hours, 2 days 13 hours, etc. So basically it's had extra long periods of light and extra long periods of dark. It seems to be taking it well, I must say.

2. trainings looking good :)

I 've had plants grow up into my timers like that too ;v/ .. I'm sure they'll be fine..it's a good lesson to learn now, rather then later ;)

3. #23 Mogi, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 24)

Watered it with 50/50 tea/water, and the stem has grown over 1cm in one night. Happy days? :p

4. Looking good man!

5. Not posted in a while, but here's a current pic;
    [​IMG]
    (day 48)
    I found out leaf burn is because of the pre-fertilised soil, but it won't be a problem because the mother plant has grown out of the same soil with good yield.

6. looks good...are you doing 18/6 ..or?

7. Good stuff, looking forward to seeing the results.

Not to derail though, but how do you hook up the surge protector to the IEC socket? And is it possible to hook up a 2 conductor extension cord to the IEC socket instead?

8. Yea, but the timer is a bit broken, so it's more like 19/7, the darkness changes every day :p
    I just ripped the back panel off the power pack with pliers, then de-soldered the wires from the IEC terminals. Then (after much confusion about which is the 'real' positive and neutral connections) I took the plug off the 4-way (can be done with 2-way aswell) and wired it to the IEC terminals, taped up each individually then taped up all the wires to make it neater. The only thing you have to watch is that your wall plug is the same amp, or lower, than the IEC can handle (10amp at 250v is the typical allowance). Also don't draw more than the 10amp (if that's what yours was) from all the plugs inside the case. In mine I'm only drawing about 2 amps.
    I plan to make another case at some point, so I might make a wee tutorial for it.

9. [quote name='"Mogi"']

I just ripped the back panel off the power pack with pliers, then de-soldered the wires from the IEC terminals. Then (after much confusion about which is the 'real' positive and neutral connections) I took the plug off the 4-way (can be done with 2-way aswell) and wired it to the IEC terminals, taped up each individually then taped up all the wires to make it neater. The only thing you have to watch is that your wall plug is the same amp, or lower, than the IEC can handle (10amp at 250v is the typical allowance). Also don't draw more than the 10amp (if that's what yours was) from all the plugs inside the case. In mine I'm only drawing about 2 amps.
    I plan to make another case at some point, so I might make a wee tutorial for it.[/quote]

Yeah, I figured wiring the surge protector to an IEC was easy, I just can't visualize how to do a 2 conductor extension cord.

Another reason I asked is because my IEC socket has a resistor soldered to the top two leads. I haven't really seen that mentioned by anyone, so I'm not sure whether to leave the resistor soldered onto the pins or just take it off.

10. I've not heard of that :S. PM me a picture and I'll try and help.

11. I would think that taking out the resistor and finding your hot and neutral should let you use the plug like that. Can you trace in the cord what terminals go where, maybe by stripping the outer insulation at the wall end of the cord? Then it would be matching inner wiring to outer wiring, using the connector as a basic bridge. Just my 2 cents.

12. I managed to figure it out, the resistor wasn't necessary at all. Thanks for the help.

13. Some up to date pics. It's looking babe-licious.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 62)

You folks may have noticed a lot of leaf burn in the previous pic, so I've given it a little trim and some tea (since I don't own any nutes) and it's coming along well now :). Still on 18/6 with the broken timer (19/7).

14. looks good man, any way you can post a pic of the udergrow/training? also are you using any kind of nutes?

15. sub'd!

looking wicked bro!

what's the tea you are using?

16. impressive box my man, +rep and sub'd

17. #38 Mogi, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
    Can't really show any pics of the training, it's quite hard to see anything under there :p. Basically the main stem is tied around the base of the plant, and all the new stems coming from the main stem are bent and tied down when they get too big above their bro's:
    [​IMG]
    Top pic is side view, bottom is above view. Dark green is the main stem, light green is the new stems coming from it, red is string :p. That shows it kinda well.

No nutes so far, just two cups of tea.

Just a teabag (Tetley One-Cup I think) in a pint glass of cold water. I left it in till it looked like weak tea, then took out the teabag.

18. Nice mod! have you hardwired the timer? What is the overall depth of the case you used?

19. #40 Mogi, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    Not given you guys any updates in a while, so here goes.

Meant to switch it to flower after the last update (which was day 62), but turns out I didn't, ended up switching around the day 80 mark, though it could have been day 100, no idea, been smoking a lot lately:smoke:.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 68 [second image may be upside down... :p])

Some very apparent leaf burn. I left the thing vegging way too long, it started touching the light and completely fried a cola :(. Trained since then and it's doing well. So ignore that burnt cola :p
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 123 [no pics between 68 and 123, sorry])

The timer is one of those plug in one that you put another plug in to. No idea on the depth, it's quite a hefty case from the 90s (no measuring tape to hand, so that'll have to do :p).