First grow, creating the box (PC Case)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Mogi, Nov 16, 2011.

1. #1 Mogi, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    So I've decided to grow myself after seeing it go successfully by a friend. I headed to a friendly computer shop and got an old case that was going to get chucked out. I've completely gutted it, shoved a nice seperator piece of laminate in, a mount for the lights, screwed in and wired up the lights and a power adapter to the kettle-plug socket. Also started siliconing all the holes to air-tight the main chamber. The fans and reflectors aren't on yet.

Here's some pics as to how I'm doing so far. (I'll get suitable bulbs later on).

Showing the 4-way wire behind the kettle plug:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kettle plug on the outside:
    [​IMG]

4-way with the lights plugged into it:
    [​IMG]

The lights:
    [​IMG]

So far (with lights off):
    [​IMG]

Lights on:
    [​IMG]

Any input would be awesome. I have a clone waiting to go in once I'm done :3

EDIT: Finished it now, pics are down at post 6.

2. looking great so far :)

Don't worry as much about making it airtight....as long as you have negative pressure all smell should be sucked through the filter as long as there's no intake fan creating positive pressure.

For reflectivity, I'd paint the inside flat white on the sides and semigloss on the bottom...the semigloss won't reflect quite as much light but it makes it way easier to clean the floor. I always recommend against metallic shiny stuff for the walls like mylar or w/e. It can raise temps and it much harder to mount and keep clean. Mylar is also porous which makes it pretty much impossible to sanitize later without ruining it.

I like how you did the kettle plug, that's how I do mine...it's the best way to keep it stealth imo :)

3. Cheers.

I am actually using a smaller fan on the front to have that negative pressure, but still trying to get it as perfect as possible :p

By how much roughly?

4. I'd say by a few degrees....

5. I'll try just blue-tac'ing some tinfoil sheets on it to begin with then, and see how the temperature is. If it's fine then I'll see about a more permanent fixture, if not I'll paint it.

6. Finished it for now.

Case from the outside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View of open case:
    [​IMG]

The left chamber:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The main chamber:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (there's a piece of carbon foam over the intake to stop light leaking out, it seems to work pretty well.)

7. looking nice :)

8. how much can you get out of these? i was hoping to have 2 setup. 1 as a vegging for a mother plant, and the other for flowering. that way i was hoping to harvest every 10 weeks

9. #9 Mogi, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    It depends on the plant I guess. A friends current plant is looking to yield just over 2 ounces, but the previous plant only gave about 1 ounce (it was autoflower, this one isn't).
    I have a clone of the current one, here's some pics :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (day 7)

It will be re-planted tonight to a bigger container.

10. #10 Mogi, Nov 19, 2011
    It was recently re-planted, and the leaves are looking a bit funky on top, but here's some nice high-quality pics just now :)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 8)

11. subbed! i want to see how much comes out of this.

12. this looks cool. what strains only grow small enough to fit in this?

13. afaik most strains are fine, because of the limited space they grow smaller. This is White Widow. You can still ScrOG in these, so that helps.

14. yup, most strains do fine in a micro setting. :) as long as they're not 3 month flowering sativas..

15. #15 Mogi, Nov 22, 2011
    Some new pics, it seems the leaves that were monged have just grown bigger, but the new leaves that are appearing are fine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (day 11)

16. #16 Mogi, Nov 24, 2011
    There are no more yellowing leaves, and the new leaves are growing perfectly fine. The dodgy leaves seemed to appear when the plant was moved house, and the yellow leaves appeared when it was replanted. So I don't think it's an actual problem, just something that happened due to circumstance.
    Pic of it just now:
    [​IMG]
    (day 13)

17. [quote name='"Mogi"']There are no more yellowing leaves, and the new leaves are growing perfectly fine. The dodgy leaves seemed to appear when the plant was moved house, and the yellow leaves appeared when it was replanted. So I don't think it's an actual problem, just something that happened due to circumstance.
    Pic of it just now:

(day 13)[/quote]

Awesome! Subbed! good luck! :)

18. very nice PC box :) have fun ! ill keep an eye on here as I wanna make one too :)

oh yeah.. subbed ;)

19. [​IMG]
    (day 16)

Recently replanted it into a bigger home. The strings are there to tie the plant to for training. Also those mangled leaves are still living, no idea how.
    It's going well :)

20. Sub'ed. Curious on the training technique.