first grow closet need a little advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by apexofthevortex, May 28, 2010.

1. ok guys I need a bit of help here. I have a closet that is 94" by 32" by 33.5" I am looking to maybe fit 4 plants max and I have around $1000 to invest in this. I cant decide between HPS and CFL's and also I have energy consumption as a concern because I live in an apartment that never really uses a lot of energy to begin with. I am also able to cut holes in the ceiling or floor for ventilation. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. You won't need that much money to do the lighting no matter which way you go. I'd recommend 600 watts of HID or T5s. For a closet grow in HID, you need a setup with a vented hood and a high pressure fan. Otherwise your temps will never be right for good growing. All that is well within your budget, though.

Honestly with that much money, get a HID to hang above and two 4'x4tube t5 fixtures to hang vertically down the walls. Your plants will produce from everywhere in large amounts like that.

3. good start... anyone think it would be smarter to vent into the ceiling or the crawlspace? Also is it worth lining the walls with a reflective material?

4. Paint it white if you can.

5. You can vent to which ever is easier for you. Where your fresh intake air is coming from is the more important part of that puzzle.

6. already is.. so guessing i should not bother with it then

7. haha yep didnt think of that yet looks like that will be my next thing to figure out

8. Covering the walls in mylar will improve things slightly. You probably will never notice the difference without a back to back test.

Also you can get away with a normal fan for the air exchange in the grow room, since you'll be taking most the heat from the HID into the attic or wherever.

9. ok thats good news so I won't have to draw fresh air directly from outside then?

10. no, you just need fresh air for the plants, not virgin air from outside. the air in your house will be plenty fresh for them.

11. #11 apexofthevortex, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  12. LED's dont generate heat but you still need constant air exchange. It is essential to a successful grow. Plants breathe in Co2 and exhale oxygen. you can't let the oxygen build up or the Co2 to diminish. Therefore, you must constantly intake fresh air and exhaust the stale air.

13. I wouldn't go LED. They're just too damn expensive still. Also from what I've seen, UFOs are one of the worst and don't even pull the wattage they claim.

14. LEDs are the best i would recommend them to anyone i have a 90 watt led and the plants love it

15. Guessing you have the UFO? I've been reading up the past few hours about them and seem to work but the harvest isn't as bushy as if done with CFLs or HPS