First Grow Closet, 400W MH/HPS, SCrog, Fem Seeds

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by ddice502, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Hello All,

I'll be tracking my progress on building and growing in my first ever closet grow. I have attempted a grow box before. Not too successful at all. After doing some research and deciding to invest a LITTLE money I am taking a small step into a slightly bigger playing field. 

My grow space:
    2013-09-07 16.33.20.jpg bottom half will be grow space. I will be making a box on Saturday to enclose the space. I will seal it to make it light proof as well. 

Top half will remain. 2013-09-07 16.33.27.jpg

Where the exhaust system will be filtered to 2013-09-07 16.33.41.jpg
    Closet Dimension:
    35 inches wide
    23 inches deep
    51 inches tall

There is no ventilation in this closet. I plan on creating a 4 inch hole in the ceiling and creating an exhaust system into the attic. Eventually I'll convert in to a CO2 filter. Probably won't happen until flowering.

On Friday I will be ordering my seeds and begin building my grow space. 

As you can see the amount of area I have is limited. I was thinking 2 maybe 3 plants under a 400W MH/HPS. What do you all think. 

My seeds will be coming from www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com The seeds I plan to buy are as followed:

Critical
    Lemon Juice Express Auto- Maybe
    Big Bud
    AK-48
    *Two Free Female Seeds

All seeds are feminized. Any other suggestions on the seed selection? I know it's better to start with clones but I'm starting from scratch. All will be female so no real worries. 

I plan on using the SCrog method. I have seen the yields from these and seems pretty amazing.

So any early suggestions?

As the week progresses I will be sharing more of my plans for building. I know this is in the early stages but I wanted to share from start to finish. 

Peace, Love, and Drugs
    XO

2. I love the area, I'm not sure how much heat you will be able to remove with a 4in vent, unless you are planing to use a cool tube with the vent you might consider going to 6in just to be safe. scrog is deff the way to go with your space, keep posting, I am planning a closet as well and am interested in following along with you.

3. My grow light that I'm ordering on Friday does have a cool tube. I'm concerned about it as well. I will start with the 4 inch and if necessary upgrade to 6 inches. Eventually I plan for this closet to just house my mothers but that's months down the road. 

4. Here's My shopping list for Friday. You'll notice that nutes aren't on there yet. I figure by the time that I finish building the closet and I receive and germinate the seed I'll have another paycheck and I'll buy it then. Gotta watch the budget. This is the PLAN but we all know things don't always go to plan. Once I purchase my items I will show you my total and my final list. Anything you see that I left off?

Item Details Price
    2X4 Plywood Cut to 28"X22" 7.55
    4X4 Plywood Cut to 29"X51" 13.28
    HVAC Tape 7.98
    Vermiculite 8 quarts 3.98
    Planters 13.88
    Hex Netting 2'X50 8.97
    Weather Station Hydrometer/Thermometer 9.98
    Soil $10 
    Light and PH Meter 9.98
    1inch foam tubing 5.82
    Hand Pruner 8.98
    Aluminum Duct 4inX8ft 13.97
    Apollo Horticulter 400 Watt Grow Light, Digital Dimmable, HPS, MH, Cool Tube 134.75

Ducting Booster Fan 240 CFM 21.98

Seeds 6 fem seeds 43.00 

Total $314.10

you'll notice in my shopping list I upgraded to 6in tubing. Mainly because that's the size of the Cool Tube but also your advisement. 

6. Hey ddice502
    We've got kinda similar setups, and I'm only a week in the ground so I'm gonna come along for the ride :)

7. Awesome. Seems are getting ordered tomorrow along with all my supplies. Cant wait to get started. I'll have to check out your grow.

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Seeds have been ordered. HPS/MH 400W lights are on the way too. Supplies are starting to come together. Gonna wait on a few of them though until I need them..... On a budget.

The seeds I bought are as followed: From The Single Seed Center

(2)AK-48- Female
    AK Automatic- Female
    Pineapple Chunk- Female
    Northern Lights Automatic- Female

So what do you all think about the seed choices?
    I was thinking about 3 at a time.
    What should go first?

Sounds like you are planning well and organized.  im gonna follow to see how it goes.  Did you order that light from amazon? and where did you order the Ducting booster fan?

I tried to find a duct fan at Lowes but they didn't have any and tried to convince me I didn't need one lol

10. Yes. I got my light from Amazon. I haven't gotten my duct fan yet. They didn't have one. I have to order it online.

11. In other news the seeds came in. THANK GOD THAT WAS FAST. Literally 7 days. They're in paper towels now germinating.
    They are in my closet in the dark. It's kinda warm in there. Things are about to get started. More pics of my grow my room later. Made some changes I think will be very beneficial.

*puts another in rotation*

Attached Files:

12. #13 ddice502, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    So after I installed my light in the closet I plugged it in. Turned on the desk fan. 30 minutes later it was 105 degrees. Obviously something was going to have to change. So i found a larger closet one that isn't insulated and set up shop there. Temps have been from 61 degrees and 81 degrees. I have had the lights on for an hour and the temp is only 81 degrees with the door completely closed. The room also has a curtain. There wasn't any light leaks but better safe than sorry. It's pretty large in there. I think after my first successful grow I can fit 6+ plants inside. I will have to get a thermostat controlled heater. Think I want to set it to around 65 degrees. What do you all think is the right temp? Seeds are still in there container germinating. No signs of life yet but it hasn't been even 24 hours. Hear are some pics. Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. As promised.

Attached Files:

14. Temp got up to 95 with the door closed. The door won't be closed when light is in use. Low was around 61 when door is closer. I'll be purchasing the heater this weekend.

First AK-48 seed is in the soil. Got one more finishing germination. Hopefully it will be good by the time I get home and can go in the soil as well.

Both seeds are AK-48 feminized.

Ladies and gentlemen let the show begin.

Attached Files:

15. Seeeds are looking good :) faster you get em in the dirt, faster you get a nice little green goddess :)

16. Hell yeah! #2 is going in right when I get off work & I'll have an update. I've been waiting for this for too damn long. 

17. Few more things I have left to purchase/make: 

• Carbon Filter- Creating one..... I've heard the smell of AK-48 isn't that bad but regardless I'm gonna make a Carbon Filter. Future grows and better safe than sorry.
    • PH Test-Up and Down..... Going with "General Hydroponics"
    • Fox Farms Nutrients
    • Duct Fan
    All of which should be purchased this Friday/Weekend.

18. Other seed is in the ground. Temp hit 89 degrees. Gonna work on some more ventilation.

Hopefully my ladies break the soil soon. :)

Attached Files:

19. Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files: