First grow, check it out

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mdryan80, Nov 2, 2010.

1. #1 mdryan80, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2010
    So, this is my first grow. It's situated in my closet, just because it seemed like a pretty logical place. The seed is just some random bag-seed. My goal with this is to just get a feel for growing and the procedures that are involved so any and all advice is appreciated. I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't work. I consider this my trial run.

With that being said, I have two lamps sitting about six inches away from the plant and an oscillating fan in the corner of the closet on its lowest setting.

The plant is in a standard Gatorade container, with a couple holes poked in the bottom for drainage. It's about a week old I believe and it first started in a regular drinking cup, but I transplanted it today for more growing room.

I really just want some help on what sort of light is best, how far it should be placed from the plant, how often should it be watered, etc.

Also, I have a compost container for legal gardening :) which is what I put in the Gatorade container. I thought that would be the best stuff, all natural.
    (blue cup, last picture, was original container)

I would also like to thank everyone on this site that helped me. I spent like two weeks lurking through the forums, reading peoples' journals, and anything that else that provided information on germination and growing. :)

Attached Files:

2. I'm right with ya mane! I planted yesterday. i'm from MD, so VA isn't too far off! we should smoke together once we get our first harvest hehe

3. Haha thanks for showing your interest bro! Yeah man that would be sick, hopefully I can make it all work out :D

have you posted any pics of your grow because if so I'll go check it out

4. Sorry to rain on your parade, but your plant isn't doing so well.

First, it is stretched to hell. Not nearly enough light for it. It has already collapsed under its' own weight.

It is also under-developed. The cotyledon should have opened to reveal the first leaf set within a day or two of sprouting. Yours are still closed up and for a week into it, this is no good.

Your soil is way too moist (moist doesn't do it justice. flooded is more like it). You have nothing to help with drainage (ie. perlite or vermiculite). You also shouldn't put a seedling in straight compost. Compost should be an amendment to your soil mix.

My advice is to read Grandpa's Grow Guide and Kamel's CFL Guide. They are both stickies in this section. Once you have that all figured out, start over. I would be shocked if you could save this poor little one. :(

Good luck.