First Grow CFL (with pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jcr330, Feb 18, 2009.

1. #1 jcr330, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    hey guys so i am about 3 days into my first growth and my plants looking pretty good however i think it may be stretching any help is apprectiated thanks i plan on having this thread throught my growth and it will be updated everyday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today i made my cfl grow box i simply gutted a cabinet and lined it with aluminum foil for now i have 3 cfls hanging from the top of the cabinet and surrounding the plants i will have pics up tomorrow

Since ive put it in the cfl grow box this morning the stem is greener and stronger and the leafs look healthier.

2. what would be the best way to have an air in and out

3. place your cfl's closer to your seedling, it is stretching. how many watts are our cfl? and the best way for u in this situation i think would be to use the fans that computers use. they can be bauht for like $12 face on in in the bottom for the intake, and one out on top for exhaust. of course you will have to wire the comp fans yourself to a 12v plug.

4. is there anyway i can run them on 9vs im looking for a way to install a timer onto this system as well is there something i can buy to plug into the lighting fixture i made so it automaticly turns on and off. i have dozens of computer fans lying around im a stoner nerd lol so the fans will not be a problem im just looking for the best way to do this. as for the lights being lowered i found a new cabinet that i will be rigging up for grow use tomorrow on my day off. i was wondering if there is any alternitive to using aluminium foil for the walls i have reflective tape aswell the aluminum silver stuff will that work better. thanks

5. look up on google how to wire it up. but i know you need a DC adaptor with 12v output. its not going to push that much air, just enough to keep ur box cool. not much more

6. ok sweet so these are the bulbs i am using i have two of the CFLs showed here and one plant light however i am assembling something to keep the plant light lower on the side of my plant and have 3 cfls hang very closely above Cherry (her name my first virgin plant) =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. #7 t(o.0t), Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    get rid of the plant light and ur small cfl's get 150w cfl's from wal-mart they cost about $8 each and they are worth it, they are 2 or 3 times the size of that bulb u have. they will say on the box "150 watts, but uses only 60 watts" or w/e it comes out too... here is what he old 150w cfl's i used looked like. its the best way to get the most lumens in that small of a space.

this is a pic from the old 150w cfl's i hadbefore i got my hps setup
    [​IMG]

8. will my lights be okay for the next day or two till i can get to the store or is it going to kill them i was involved in an accident last night so it will be a day or two untill i get back out lol insurence is a pain in the balls

9. today i made my new grow cabinet it came out very well i have two fans intake and outtake light fixture able to move up and down as close to cherry as i want, i also transplanted her into a nice ample pot for her to grow in and also in the process of germinating her some sisters =) feedback is wanted because this is my first grow every little bit of advice helps

[​IMG]

10. Sweet So today i went to shit-mart and got two 100w cfls and a light timer so im pretty well on my way i have a question about watering with the lights on. i watered with the lights on one day and some got on a few leafs of my plant and burned them will my baby recover from this or is that leaf just going to look awful

11. I'm not going to lie, that is possibly the most conspicuous cabinet ever! Put it against the wall or something lol..
    It didn't really hurt your baby too much. The leaf will always look awful, try to be more careful in the future but you don't have to water only when the lights are off.

12. hahaha thanx man and idk it looks pretty good in the middle of my livng room nobody will ever ask about it hahaha na its in my bedroom against the wall the roomates wont think shit of it lol

13. Have you gotten some proper lighting yet, friend? Your plants look a little sad, probably due to lack of light.

"And then I saw both buildings collapse, one after the other, mostly due to structural failure because the fires were just so hot."

14. #14 slanaxe, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    it does seem that your plants need a bit more light there. i reat that youve put a 2 100W lamps now, so that might help a bit.... but what kind of CFLs are u using? are they agricoltural bulbs, or normal domestic ones?
    If you want to continue growing with CFLs you might wanna think of investing a few bucks on proper agricoltural lights. Here in italy we use mostly Envirolites, which are designed for growers and come in different spectrums and wattages.
    i personally use a 200W envirolite (blue spectrum) for vegetative growth before switching to a 400W HPS, and i can tell you they're the dog's bullocks! the best thing about them is that they produce practically no heat, so they're ideal for small spaces as you can get them to sit only a few centimiters away from the tops.

you also asked if theres an alternative to aluminum foil.... certainly!!! you need to paint the inside of your cabinet white.... quick and everlasting....

oh yeah.... one last thing.... read up on LST as it is essential for growing under CFLs. taka care, and good luck!

15. #15 jcr330, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    yes i now have proper lighting they are nvision 100 watt daylight cfls i read that they are good for vegitative growth and i got soft white ones for flowering.since ive put in the new bulbs it has grown its second set of leaves IN JUST ONE DAY!. also is LST really that important i cant just grow it regular? sorry for all the questions im new at this and its addicting as fuck since ive started growing thats all i can think about lol G.R.O.W.I.N.G W.E.E.D My Antidrug haha

16. Kinda looks like your putting a lot of work into not the right places... the "grow cabinet" looks like seedlings are gonna grow too big for it in like 2 weeks after spout.. whats the point of getting all fancy with fans and lights etc. for seedlings? im not following really. you can just have the CFLs hang right over them anywhere in your house, doesnt need to be a special box with fans and aluminum and all that. Seems like the box is giving you more trouble as it is. A seedling doesnt need THAT much care, especially going out of your way to install tiny fans for it. You got the right idea but its just not really necessary for this point of its life. Have that shit sprout in a closet or something and then move em to your grow room or something. The box is pointless and wasting your time and money on stuff you should be focusing on like veggin and flowering stages, when the plant is really gonna need some attention and resources. I understand tho, its exciting, first lil sprout and stuff. Not bashing ya. But youll see, this seedling stage FLIES by youll be kickin yourself in the ass for spending so much energy on a box youll only use for a couple of weeks.

17. #17 jcr330, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    dude.... the dresser is over 4 feet tall and two feet wide? thats just the drawer i chose to open lol the whole thing is a hollowed out cabinet the lights are suspended down over the top and can be moved up or down? i rigged up the drawers to still work correctly they just are open on the bottom? i myself can fit into this cabinet. i dont understand how that is overkill? did u read any of the thread lol this is where im keeping my plants untill they are ready for harvest