First Grow, Cfl Lights, Sad Plants

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Loconnections, Aug 15, 2014.

1. So Im starting my first grow ever with CFL's. This is obviously a cheap set-up, but I'm probably going to add more things to this set-up as its only temporary until i can get a tent. :) 

2 clones from the local shop. (Girl scout cookies from Burning Man) 
    I believe these girls were about 1-2 weeks old when i got them. I felt sorry for them so i chose them. (Not really lol, i just didn't know what the hell i was doing.) 

Anyways my set-up is: 

Using (4) 23W 6500K and (1) 23W 2700K Total of 115 watts. 

2 Crappy looking clones, but I'm trying to make it work :( 

1 fan shooting at the lights/top of little girls 

In Coco mix of perlite and lava rocks. Something like a 55/30/15

Temps: 77-79F 
    Humidity: 49-51% 
    pH of soil: 5.2 (Slowly trying to increase with each watering/feeding) 

Pics to come! 

2. Just the saddest looking girls ever... Ive seen so many people post up nice and bushy girls, stems look thick & strong. These girls are are anorexic. Weak stems, tall and lanky. 

My hopes are to raise them right and lead them in the right direction ------>  :smoke:

[​IMG]

3. 3 days later.... I come to home to the same looking plants (they haven't grew a cm) ... I was on the verge of giving up. Then to my surprise i saw roots at the very bottom of the red cups, but i didn't take a picture sadly. But here they are 3 days later... sure looks the same to me except there are new white roots! 

[​IMG]

4. #4 Loconnections, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    ^^^ picture... well i pretty much overwatered, guess they weren't too happy about that. 

Since then, I decided that they have rooted the red cups and it was time to transplant. 3 gallon pots they go, same mix of coco. 

I also decided to make a ghetto rig reflector for my CFL lights, I don't know if it helped, but ill be making a better one soon. As of right now its aluminum & cardboard and i know there are going to be haters! But fear not, i will replace it with flat white paint in a few days.

5. BTW anyone who sees this, I'm always looking out for cheap ways to improve my set-up. 

And yes guys, i do know that I'm a cheap sonava bitch. But I'm working on it.... I'm willing to throw down extra $ for the right price and the right improvements :) 

Angled my fan so it hits the lights and gives my plants a little tease. 

[​IMG]

6. Looking a lot better(setup that is:) Hopefully it works for yah

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Thanks john, yeah i agree 100% with the lights being closer! :D 

More pics in a sec! Thanks for the advice & checkin in! 

8. #9 Loconnections, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
    Here are the girls day 11 since I got them (Current update). Fed them nutes 2 times so far and watered once. They've grown quite a bit, but still think they're growing a bit slow. Maybe I'm just impatient. 

I decided to do some topping and LST between those days. Going to go to the local hydro store to pick up some different ties.. i feel like the strings are hurting my babies lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oh yeah, kinda bent the stem of one of them a little too much as you can see :( But nonetheless she's still growing and not dead yet! 

9. Kind of bent the stem, aha its a bit slow but usually people are using bigger light setups and have had reflectors from day one
    So its alright réally, how much room you got?

10. the area is 2x3x10 lots of room to grow upwards i guess haha

11. Is that foot, meters?

12. Take a look at mine you have so much more space than me mines 50cmx50cmx100cm so yeah, if you have that much space why you growing on sigh a budget?

13. Well i plan to fill in most of that room with LST & scrog method. Also I am only going to use about 180watts of CFL lighting for flowering and want quality bud (although i know its nothing compared to HPS). So i thought 2 plants would be just enough for that amount of lighting. If I could do a 250w+ HPS i'd definitely have more plants in there. But with CFL and their known "bad penetration" i thought i'd just start with 2 plants under 180 watts with scrog. Though i am tempted to buy more clones  :p  

14. Also i don't want the place stinking up or the GF is gonna come in with a pair of scissors... :eek:  Going to invest in a 4" or 6" inline fan with a carbon filter, possibly make one (if i can).  She's already down my throat about electricity bills looking at all the lights... Little does she know I'm going to show her up with +$5-10 on the bill with the lights i use  B) . My main goal is getting the most out of what I can without raising a penny (or real noticeable difference) on the electricity bill. 

15. Pay your bill don't have Like 8 Big lights tbh they wouldn't raise a suspicion but I get what you mean with the whole bad penentration but some people use them perfectley fine

16. Well for now I'm just gonna keep what i have and test the waters. If all goes well, ill up my lighting and maybe even invest in a grow tent. But lets take things 1 step at a time  :D .  I'll keep you updated, and let me know when your set up is complete, ill have to check it out  ;)

17. Cfls work good if you use em right :) I am current using them