First Grow- CFL / Bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by StonedImaculate, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Hello, and thanks for tuning into my grow log :)
    I have 4 seeds already cracked open and planted, another 3 hopefully underways.
    I am using Miracle Grow seed starter mix atm (5-1-5, also could anyone give me any advice on what soil to use to transfer into?)
    I have no ferts or nutes of any sort yet, but I will be getting some when the funds come in.
    I have 4 23 watt CFL bulbs, and another 2 coming in shortly.
    The seeds Im using like I said, are bagseed, they were from some pretty good weed, maybe like KB or just really nice mids.
    So.. let's get on to the SS eh?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      37.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Anyone out there? :smoke:
    My 5th seed just cracked open and I have planted that one as well. I dont think my other 2 seeds will crack open though, but I'll give it another day or two before I throw em out.
    One of my plants has officially breached the surface. Heres a SS
    (PS some advice for potting soil would be greatly appreciated!)

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      38.6 KB
      Views:
  3. By the way.. im planning on LST training all my plants.. any thoughts on that? (also approximately how long does it take to LST a plant?)

4. Hey guys, 4 of my babys have sprouted :) Still waiting on the 5th to come up, and the other 2 seeds I was germinating are dead. Heres some SS (If you notice, the plants make sort of a curve, will this grow out? I think it is because I planted the seeds point up, which is what I thought you were supposed to do...also, in the 2nd SS the plant is like.. carrying the seeds with it, will that come off eventually?)

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      46.8 KB
      Views:
  5. #5 FuckingClassy, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    Whats up man! Congrats on startin to grow!! Basically doin the same thing i did, but with more than one plant. Bagseed, cfls, the whole shebang!

Yeah those sprouts will straighten out, don't worry about that. As for the seed casing on the sprout, you can gently pull it off, or just let it naturally fall off the sprout - either one works. It comes off pretty smoothly if you gently pull it off.

Also, as you probably already know lol, you'll wanna get those out of Miracle Grow asap! I learned the hard way. My plant started getting nute burn after a couple weeks, but luckily i finally had the time & money to pick up some Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. That's what i've seen as the most recommended soil to use. Some people get a bag of perlite also & mix 75% Fox Farm & 25% Perlite to make a soil mix that will drain easier. I've notice that the FFOF kinda needs you to push on the outsides of the pot to help water run through it better - No big deal though if you watch it.

You'll wanna get some more lights eventually too - about 100w per plant, or 2000 Lumens per plant. The light bulb package will state the amount of lumens on it.
    LSTing....what a thing lol. I'm still on my first grow, but i've read a lot on LST and its a great idea. Simple, and very low stress put on the plant, which is good. I recommend it for sure. Check out my grow. not the best LST job, but its my first time, and i topped the plant, and i got anxious with the LST. it came out nice, but it could've been better. OH and if you do look at my journal, start a couple pages from the end cuz my plant got fucked up and you don't wanna see that lol

Good Luck with the grow! I'll be watchin it. I've noticed that a lot of the "first grow/bagseed" threads don't get looked at as much so i'll try to keep an eye out and help you out whenever i can! I'm still a beginner, but i know enough to get you started :D

6. hey thanks man! when I repot it, should I totally remove my plant from the MG seed starter mix, or just leave it as it is and repot it? thanks for the info on the seed, I was getting worried xD Btw, where can I get FFOF? I've been wanting some but I have no idea where to look for it >_<

7. Good luck with your first grow, my first was bagseed under cfl's as well.

When you repot try to get most of that MG off of the roots, a little won't hurt though so don't put to much effort into it.

Try getting 26 watt or higher CFL's if you are going that route. Other than that you look ok to start.

-C

8. Its kinda hard to explain so bare with me lol. You know to flip it upside down and get it all out in one big clod of soil & root, right? Lol. Anyways, once you do that, gently squeeze the clod of soil so most of it eventually falls off and you're left with mainly roots. Its kinda hard to explain lol, and pretty impossible to get ALL the soil off, but basically try to get some, if not most of the soil off before repotting. It won't make much of a difference though. I basically dropped my plant when repotting, lol, and it turned out fine, so as long as you don't break the main root, do what you have to to get most of the soil off.

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox_consumer_map.html

go there, click on ur state, and it will tell you where they sell FFOF in ur area. Took me a while to find it lol. It said one place did, i went there, they didn't. I called all their other locations, and they didn't have it. I had to go to a hydroponics store about 10 minutes from my house, which isn't bad - definately worth it! A big ass bag was only 20 bucks, too.

Glad i could help out man!

9. #9 StonedImaculate, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    Hey guys! My plants have been doing quite nicely :)
    I plan on going to get some FFOF this weekend and some ferts as well, but I was wondering, which should I get, Big Bloom, or Tiger Bloom? Also should I get Grow Big, or Earth Juice? Thanks
    The only thing that has me worried, is if you look at the plant in the lower left corner, one of its leaves looks a bit funky to me...
    Tomorrow morning I will be repotting my plants, and moving them under the CFL's :)
    And another question, how far away do the plants have to be to make them stretch? I'm worried about my lights being to high up, and the way I have it set up, it can only go higher up from this point. Im thinking about putting something under the pots to bring them closer to the lights.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
  10. As close as you can get without feeling the heat from the bulb on your hand. Usually ~1"-2" from your plant.

11. lookin forward to watching your grow over the next couple weeks keep up the patience

12. Hey guys, good news! Remember how I was talking about how I didnt think that 5th plant was gonna pop up? well it did! Right as I was about to throw it out too, haha. Man I'm lucky, glad I waited :) All my plants are looking pretty healthy, I havnt moved it under my CFL's yet because on saturday im gonna be picking up my FFOF, tigerbloom, and grow big, and I'd rather not waste a lot of soil to just repot it right after buying my FFOF, so instead, I replaced the domestic light in the lamp I was using, with one of my CFL's, and I think 1500 lumens ought to be enough for some sprouts, for the time being anyways.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
  13. This is kind of weird., I'm pretty much doing the same thing you are right now minus three your's plants., I'm using the FFOF and I have the grow big with 6 27 5500k cfl's. Mine are even as big as too lol,. I'll definitely have to follow this.

14. Hey guys! I should be getting my FFOF, tigerbloom, and grow big tomorrow, as well as some 2 or 3 gallon pots. After that, all I need to buy is mylar, but I kinda dont have a job so I do yardwork for my parents >_> embarassing I know, but if you're a grower, you understand that your children come first :) we got mouths to feed.
    So far my plants have been seeming to enjoy the CFL, I cant wait til they start growing their second nodes :)
    My friend was telling me about a method where right before your plants are about to bud, you put them upside down (he said this was tricky, cuz you gotta make sure the soil doesnt fall out, so like using a chicken fence or something) then pour boiling water into the bottom, and it will shoot all the THC in the roots up into the buds increasing the potency by 3-4%. It sounds really sketchey, has anyone heard of this before? Just the idea of pouring boiling water onto my babys sounds like trouble :O, but I'll definately put some research into it.
    heres today's SS

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
  15. #16 StonedImaculate, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
    Not much happened since last time, they grew a little bit, but I can see where the 2nd node is going to be coming in on one of my plants :D It just looks like a tiny point in the middle of the four leaves, I cant really take a picture of it because my cam cant zoom in that good without blurring it, or I just dont have a steady enough hand to take the pic :p. I just got home from grocery shopping for my children :D
    I got 5 larger pots, they arent 2-3 gallons (the size im looking for, considering my grow space) that were under 5 bucks a piece >_> so I got these, that were 75c each :D (at least they buy me time to get the bigger ones!) I wont be repotting them today because this is like the coldest week we've had all winter, and my grow space is under a stair case (mimicing a basement perhaps) so I fear it is too cold in there, and that the CFLs wont produce enough heat for it, but they're still young, so I'm sure they'll fare fine for now
    Also, I took a pH test, it looks like my water is around 5.5... is that too low? :O
    AND, when can I start feeding them grow big?
    (I know they look they shrunk, but thats just cuz the angle of the pic)

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      78.1 KB
      Views:
  16. Don't do this, sounds like he's trying to play you... Also you got to make sure you don't mention "your grow" to anyone even your friends.

17. I only told my home boys :p which I still shouldnt even have done,

18. Hey guys, I just repotted my plants :D I hope they are enjoying the FFOF! :D I was worried when I was repotting them thatI was gonna kill them, cuz it was my first time ever doing such a thing. but it seems like im in the clear! It's been a couple of hours and no signs of wilting, because its still cold, I havnt moved them into my grow space, but I did put two CFLs over them instead of just one.

Attached Files:

• 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
  19. Sup guys! :smoke: Keepin' it green out there? Apparently I was just paranoid when I thought I was gonna kill my plants when I repotted them, cuz they're doing just fine :) I just moved them into the grow room, which I'm really happy about because now they get the benefits of having a fan blow on them :D It isn't even that cold in there like I thought it was going to be, with the fan its sort of like a florida night breeze, I'm sure they'll like it just fine. The only thing I'm a bit upset with myself about is that I havnt gotten mylar in there yet >:[, But atleast the walls are white, so it wont be that bad. The 2nd nodes are clearly starting to show on my plants now, I didn't take a picture of each of them, but 2 should give you an idea.
    Im thinking of feeding my plants tomorrow for the first time, should I feed them with every watering? every other watering? what? Im going to start out at 1/4 strength
    (Yes, my light fixture is strung up entirely with hemp rope :D yay cannabis!)

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      75.3 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg