First grow: Can I use 1000 watt for veg?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by E4u2H8J9, Nov 20, 2011.

1. This is my first grow as a medical marijuana patient. I plan on buying a few clones, obviously in veg, and I was curious if I could use my 1000 watt HPS light on them for their entire plant cycle?

I don't want to buy another less powerful light just for their veg stage, but if it's necessary and would save me money and bud I should probably just do it.

Thanks for posting

2. Yes, you can use an HPS for veg. A lot of people do it, and some say that they can't even tell the difference. When I start growing it's what I'll be doing.

3. you could use 6500k cfls for vegging and then hps for flowering to save you a absoulute fortune in power bills a 1000 watt light will kill you in that aspect but its up to you. my mate had a 600w hps running 18 hours a day for 3 months and it killed the shit out of his power bill. but if thats not an issue by all means use the hps.

4. [quote name='"Luuke"']you could use 6500k cfls for vegging and then hps for flowering to save you a absoulute fortune in power bills a 1000 watt light will kill you in that aspect but its up to you. my mate had a 600w hps running 18 hours a day for 3 months and it killed the shit out of his power bill. but if thats not an issue by all means use the hps.[/quote]

So you think it might actually save me money to just buy a mh light or something?

5. Yea dude get a few banks of cfls to put up. My boy ran his 1k for 2 month veg an was paying 400 bucks more a month in power

6. 1000w for 18hrs is like 60-80/mo depending on your kw/hr cost

7. save heaps more if u vege with clfs.