FIRST GROW can I bum some knowledge off you?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by EsotericXistenz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Alright I'm going to be starting my first grow soon. I've been researching for quite a bit, but have a few questions. First let me start off with my setup.
    First run with 10 plants (hoping for more later on)Blue cheese and white widow
    4x7 and 4 ft high plywood structure on the porch.
    Im going to be using the DWC method with 3 gal pots and a 5" air stone for each.
    using a 88 lpm pump(one pump for all)
    As for lights I planning on a tanning bed setup with t5s 1 4ft 8 bulb light on top with 2 4ft 2 or 4 bulb lights on each side.
    Valueline 171 CFM 4 Inch Centrifugal Inline Fan attached to a carbon scrubber for my exhaust.

Questions
    1.)Now for my questions once I germinate my seeds i cant just put them in the hydroton, I have to start them in rockwool or something similar correct, but do I just put that in the hydroton?

2.)also this is going to be outside on my porch so it may get a bit nippy in the winter, would a space heater on a thermostat be enough to combat this and what temp is ideal for the strains I've listed?

3.)How long should I veg or at what height should I begin flowing to prevent them from getting to big.

4.)what kind of prep work do I need to do with the hydroton and rockwool. I'll be using bottled water.

5.)A balanced nute recommendation cost vs. effectiveness.

6.)I would like to use clones without having a separate area for mothers and such, so whats the latest you can take clones off a flowering plant.

I'm very excited to begin and very much want to do this right, so any shared experience would be greatly appericated. :smoke:

2. 1) Yes, put the germinated seed into the rockwool cube, and then put the rockwool cube into the hydroton rocks. The hydroton rocks just work as a stabalizer for your plant (so it doesn't fall over) and the roots grow right through it.

2) I don't know where you live, but I hope growing is legal for you. Ideal temp for any plant is 70-75 F.

3) Depends on how big is too big. There are techniques you can do to maintain plant size, but I wouldn't reccomend them for first grows. You can 12/12 them from 10 days worth of vegging, they may still grow tall on you though, so prepare for that.

4) You need to rinse the hydroton to get any clay dust off it. You also need to soak your rockwool in Ph adjusted water at 5.5 and let them soak in that for 12-24 hours.

5) Fox farms are all I use. I can't say about anything else, because I've never used it, but I love FF nutrients they do wonderfully.

6) It's not reccomended to take clones off a flowering plant. But, if you have to do it, I wouldn't suggest to do it much past two weeks after flowering has begun. Any time after that you're just stressing your plant, and you're stressing the clone. And by the time it sprouts roots, and reverts back to veg, you may as well just grow from seed because it's going to be about the same amount of time.

Good luck.

3. Thank you, do you think the 3 gal buckets will be big enough for the 3ftish plants? Also it is legal, but I don't want the word out I'm sorta secluded where I live but not that far away form neighbors don't want the neighborhood kids getting into my stash.

4. Yes, 3 gallon buckets will be fine. However, late into flowering you're going to need to check the buckets often because you won't be able to put as much water in because the roots will be so thick, and they will suck up the water/nutes fast. Just keep that in mind.

5. What do you think of the lighting? I've read that the t5s don't have the same amount of light or penetration compared to hps, however because of my height limitations I don't think an hps is best suited. Would the extra side lighting be enough to compensate for the expected yield loss for a t5?

6. If you want to use the t5 fixtures you might look into something called SCroG. You can find some guides on how to do it somewhere on these forums. Just use the search, and search for SCroG.

It may be a bit advanced for your first grow, but I can guarantee it's the best way to grow with the t5 fixtures.

7. Thanks, feel free to add any additional ideas or recommendations!

8. If you're growing hydro, which I'm assuming you are considering you're asking about rockwool and hydroton, from my own experience the most important thing about maintaining healthy plants with hydro is to make sure the Ph is correct. So, you're going to need to invest in a Ph testing pen.

You also want to make sure that you aren't severly spiking the Ph. What I mean by this is, you have your plants in your buckets, and you check the solution and see it's at 7.5 (which is very high) so the first thing that comes to your mind is to blast it down to 5.8 (which is ideal). This isn't always the best thing to do. You will want to drop it down fast, but make sure that you do it gradually. I wouldnt' suggest doing more than .5 points every few hours.

Also, keep in mind that the temperature of the water will make a difference on the Ph of the solution. Allow the solution to get to the temperature it will be grown in before testing it if possible.

What I do when I use my bubble buckets is I have 4 buckets for 2 plants. When I want to switch the plants, I have a bucket that has been readied a while before I swap them out. This allows me to make sure that the chlorine is out of the water, and that the water is room temperature (allowing it to be best Ph tested). Then I just take the lid (and the plant) from the old bucket, and place it into the new bucket. Then just wash the old bucket out, let it rinse, and get all of the salt deposit out, and let her dry until next time.