First grow. Blueberry cheesecake 3x3 400w hps

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by treesaregreen, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Put two seeds in water Thursday, they sunk on Friday so put them in a wet paper towel over Friday night and potted them on Saturday.

Had my first one pop through on Monday, but still haven't seen the other one yet.

A little bit about my set up

3x3x6 grow tent
    600w dual spec hps with a digital ballast and can change the wattage, 600w+boost (whatever that means) 600w, 400w, 250w.

At the moment I've got it on 250w about 1.5ft above my seedlings. Temp around my plants are staying in between 25 - 29c, humidity is a bit of a battle but hopefully get that sorted by adding a tray of water.

On top of my seedling pots I've got the bottom end of a plastic bottle to create a dome so it stays nice and humid.

Hoping I've made the right decision and gone with photos instead of autos. I want bud, lots of it, fed up with the crazy prices these days lol.

Blueberry cheesecake by femaleseeds

Biobizz light mix soil

Water pH is around 6, best I can do without a meter (using pH testing kit where you take a sample of water, put a few drops of this liquid in and then compare to the color chart on the back of the bottle.

Says 7-9 weeks, is this start to finish or 7-9 weeks flowering?

Any tips/advice would be great

Sent from my DUA-L22 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Can this be moved to the journal section please I posted it in the wrong section lol

3. These mods should help you. Welcome to GC

@ICGreen @RMJL @doinYoda

• Like Like x 2
  4. With every seed bank I have purchased from, the number of weeks in the strain's vitals has been the flowering time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It probably would've been quicker to just put the dry seed in the soil instead of all those different stages. But good to hear they're showing their faces now

Your light and tent is a good match. The boost is about 650w. People use this when their bulb is old and it helps with getting some extra light. It will lower the life of the bulb, but if you are going to replace it anyway it squeezes that last bit out before you chuck it

Your temperature is good, what is your humidity? Its rare that anyone would need to raise it, having plants covered isn't usually a good idea

Photos are easier to control so better for beginners in my opinion, but both have their place

Your tap water being 6 is excellent, your soik's pH will be correct so you won't need to worry about it unless your tap water is exceptionally far out

It's 7-9 weeks of 12/12 but this is how long before you can harvest at the very earliest, peak harvest time will be a couple of weeks longer. And it's an estimate anyway, every plant is different and doesn't follow the breeder's guidelines

My best tip is make sure you get the soil moisture level and nutrient concentration correct everything else usually falls in to place by itself

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was going to use it at 400w, not sure if 600w+ would be too hard to control the temperature in the tent?

I'm a bit confused about my humidity, I've got a temperature and humidity reader and it says dry: 40%RH. So is that 40% humidity? From what I gather its best between 50 and 60?

My water was about 8+pH but I've got pH down which is about 3 drops to bring 1 litre down to about 6 pH. I will invest in a meter sometime in the future, but funds are a bit low at the moment lol.

I do have a some growing experience under my belt, but not weed lol.

I'm wondering if I should get rid of the plants I got going and switch to autos, they seem to grow a lot quicker (what I'm after atm) then look into doing photos after a few auto grows.

Thanks for the reply mate

7. 400 or 600 is fine, whatever you can get away with. I have a similar sized tent (10 square foot) and I mostly have my light on 600w but I knock it down to 400w in the middle of the summer to help with the heat

40% is great. 60% is a bit high but still ok.

Oh right, yeah 8 is very high. Those £5 Chinese digital meters are perfectly accurate enough for what we use them for, and they last many years.

Autos are a little bit quicker, but it's only a couple of weeks difference. About 10-14 weeks for autos and about 4+ /8-9 weeks for photos. The 4 being minimum, obviously you can veg as long as you want but you shouldn't need much longer than 4 weeks unless you want it to be huge

• Like Like x 1
  8. At the moment my light is on the 250w setting about 2ft away from my seedling, should I wait for a few sets of leaves before turning it up to 400w or should I keep it on 250w and lower the light?

Woke up this morning and humidity has changed to 50%, could this be to the wet weather? I've been leaving a window open so fresh air can get in the room.

I'll get one of them pens on payday, do you use any storage solution with it?

I won't be switching to autos, I'll just scrog the one photo plant and see how big I can get it, might be 2 plants but one is still under the soil atm, maybe give it a day or 2 then I take it that one won't be any good? They both went in soil Saturday.

I'll get some pictures sorted in a bit

9. 250w will be plenty for the first few weeks if your plants are close together right under the light

Yeah it could be. I wouldn't worry about humidity unless it's below 20 or over 80. Mine fluctuates a lot and I don't get problems from it.

I just keep the cap on the sensor to keep it protected, it doesn't need to be kept in a solution, that's just for really old ones, these are modern and sealed up

It still might pop up, I wouldn't lose faith just yet

• Like Like x 1
  10. My seedling is about 1 1/2ft away from my light at the moment with the fan blowing in between them, if I lower the light I'm worried its going to get hotter and I'm at 30.1c max at the moment. I'm gonna buy another fan tomorrow and see if that helps.

Would lowering the extractor fan help? I always thought hot air rose so having it at the top of the tent was best?

I'm wondering about repotting, at the moment I've got a few roots starting to come through the bottom of the pot, is it time to pot up and should I go straight to the final pot size or work my way up with different size pots?

When I've repotted plants before, I plant deep into the new pot so the soil comes up just under the first set of leaves, I read this helps the plant grow stronger and the stem that's under the soil will start to grow roots too?

Only one plant popped through in the end, no worries though I only wanted the one lol.

One of them cheap yellow pH pens came in the post today so just need to calibrate it then I'm good to go.

I've uploaded a picture of my plant, any advice would be great thanks
    IMG_20181205_134517.jpg

11. How does she look?I'm not sure if it's stretched too much, getting a scrog net Friday just hoping I haven't messed it up lol IMG_20181211_190552.jpg

12. That's pretty close, if its too hot then back it away a bit, and it is a bit too hot, it's showing signs of heat stress

Yeah the extraction should be from the top, do you have adequate vents at the bottom for the cool air to get in to replace the removed hot air? It looks like you have a tube vent right next to the plant, is that fully open?

You can do either when it comes to potting. I suggest people step up pot size if there is a fear of over watering, but if not then you can transplant straight in to it's last pot. Either way if fine and if done right one isn't necessarily better than the other

You can do, and yeah you may get some roots growing, but it's not going to have big differences. You're talking about an inch difference in the amount of stem showing, and when you have a several foot tall plant, that inch isn't going to mean much

Yeah that single plant will fill your area no probs, I have filled a 4x4' area with one plant before

It looks good man, is that its final pot?
    What sort of ScrOG screen are you getting, I see a lot of mistakes from beginners when it comes to choosing the right screen

• Like Like x 1
  13. This was one of my 1 plant ScrOG grows in a 4x4' tent

[​IMG]

This is the screen I use. Its a welded steel mesh screen with 2' holes which is cable tied to a pvc pipe frame

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks mate I've raised the light by about a foot, so about 1 and a half maybe 2 feet away, I'll get the tape out later lol.

There a panel vent on 2 of the sides in the tent, I've got them open and the intake holes are all open around the bottom, I've managed to get the temperature down in between 25 and 29c by adjusting the fan direction and turning the extractor up, I had it running a little slow I think.

I'm not sure yet but if I keep getting problems I'm gonna move the grow tent closer to the window so hopefully the cooler air gets in there quicker because at the moment the tent is in the corner of the room lol.

It seemed a little stretched so when I repotted it from its small pot I lost 2 inches or so into the soil, I'm not too sure about final pot size but I'm currently in a 12l, would this be okay or should I look at repotting again in the future?

I've got something similar to what you're using for a scrog net in the shed. Only differences is its made from plastic and it's green, got it from a garden centre a few years ago, the holes in the mesh is about 2 inches as well I think. Could I use that?

If not I was looking at the secret jardin webit elastic web support, it's for a 4x4 but I thought I could just adjust the clips so it fits a 3x3?

Loving the pictures by the way, that plant looks massive I see you've got the fans hanging by string, does that not make them spin? I'm gonna give it a go later, mines clipped to the frame and the noise it gives off is louder than the extractor lol.

15. I don't know if I've messed it up but I've topped the plant for the first time as you can see in the picture. Have I done it correctly?

Also, when calibrating the pH pen did you use bottled water and mixed the solution into it? It says I have to use distilled water? IMG_20181215_085850.jpg