First grow bagseeds in Miracle Gro Seed Starter Mix

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Alifa, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Hello everyone,
    This is my first grow in a pc case with bagseeds in Miracle Gro Seed Starter Mix. They are 2 weeks old with 24/0 cycle under 2 42 watts 6500k. Temperature is holding 25 degree celsius and humidity is between 30 and 40.
    My only question is do they look healthy to you?

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412572547.737610.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412572567.311217.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412572581.809795.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412572596.723058.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412572613.007152.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

2. I have heard terrible things about miracle gro.  I made the same mistake.  it's considered a 'hot' soil due to the amount of nutrients in it.  Your plants are possibly not very healthy and locking out nutrients..

My advice (what worked for me) was to get some soil-less medium, like Canna Terro Professional and get some good quality nutes like Advanced Nutrients, Dutch Master, etc.  My plants ended up a lot worse than yours.  many people say never to replant into a different medium, but it's either that or watch your plants die..

Just my 2c

3. absolutely.. miracle grow will kill your plants bud

4. Bigger pots also? The first one looks root bound bless it :( even perlite and some re-potting compost should do better than miracal go!!! :) good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. #5 Alifa, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    First of all thanks everybody who replied. I chose Miracle Gro seed starter mix because it was very low in nutes (0.0-0.1-0.0) and so far i have not seen any nute burns or anything like that. I am thinking about moving them in bigger pots in Pro-Mix Potting Mix. Has anybody use this soil before? if yes, how was the result? any major problems?

6. Look. I know everyone says don't grow in miracle grow. I agree with them. But it's not the end of the world. I've never heard of the seed starter brand which seems fine. Personally on my first grow I started in peat pellets and transplanted to MG moisture control and my plants grew fine. They weren't as bushy as my DWC grow but they were healthy. So if that's your only option you can make it work.

That being said. It would be best for your end outcome and your plants to transfer them to something better. I have only studied hydro not soil but there are plenty of people who can reference you to better soils that are still affordable and easily sourced locally.

I personally don't like soilless + nutes. I feel like you should either stick to real soil for taste and naturalness or simply go hydro for the faster growth.

Anyway for now they seem fine. However they are getting to the age where they need to be transplanted to something larger with a good soil.

7. #8 ProGMO, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    You will do fine with it. Not sure if you have time to add perlite to the mix. hell I did great with compost and MG mix before. Know your nutrients and when to add. Better to go low than to over do it. The problem you will run into if forcing flowering and having preventing them from going back into veg. Maybe try a 13/11 to keep a little extra darkness on them. I would not recommend the extended release for these plants until you know which nutrients get released when and and how the plants react.

8. I added more perlite to it and transferred them to bigger pots. I will post some pictures tonight

9. Do not be shocked if she droops from a bit of shock. the plants usually recover in a day or two. back the lights up a couple inches and minimize any other environmental stresses. her focus will be on keeping the roots alive. The good thing about the perlite is it reduces the overall % of nutrients available since it has zero nutritional value, just for aeration and helping root growth.

10. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412734129.348181.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412734148.390114.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1412734169.070861.jpg

Pictures were taken one hour ago!

11. #12 Alifa, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
    Thanks ProGMo for your help so far

12. #13 Alifa, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
    Hello again everybody. Sorry havent been able to update the progress. Here is how the plants are doing after first time switching them to flowering last night. I gave them schultz plant food (0.10-0.15-0.10) first dose before the dark cycle. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413227873.338274.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413227892.001417.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413227909.708141.jpg
    Let me know how do they look!

13. They look much better than before :)
    Keep us posted and good luck.

14. How long does it take to show them their sex after switching to 12/12?

15. Cannabisdill23 i vegged them for 18 days on 24/0 cycle.

16. Hey everybody here is how they are looking after flowering for 6 days. I made a mistake last night by letting the light cycle run by an extra 5 hours. I smoked some of that "good good" citrus skunk stuff that my friend brought and just forgot to turn the lights off. Anyways there are couple of hairs around a node do you guys think its a female?
    Peace✌️

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413512875.135342.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1413512907.624139.jpg

17. I believe those "hairs" are called Pistils, and that means it is indeed a female! Personally I think you should've let it veg waay longer, but plant looks healthy so congrats!

18. I actually keep a "house plant" under a clf bulb in MG an it's normally one of my better plants each year. Best of luck.