First Grow, And In A Difficult Climate - Making It Up As I Go Along While Vaping :)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by BuddhaBelly, Aug 1, 2014.

1. #1 BuddhaBelly, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    After lurking for several months I have decided to start my own grow journal and share it with other users. The odds of getting any kind of following are slim to none, and that does not bother me; rather, I would really just like to document my first grow.

I'm rather new to grass - I grew up in the Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" era and was always terrified to smoke a joint even (I turned to alcohol and became a raging alcoholic - finally cleaned up 2+ years ago). So, I finally agreed to try vaping and fell in love with it - and now that I have experimented with different strains I even see a really positive effect on my work as a creative in an advertising agency.

I don't like to purchase things that I could easily make myself, and over the last year or two I have become more and more intrigued about growing the plant myself. After all, I've grown hundreds of plants from seed during my childhood in Kentucky, and I have the means to make up solutions as I go along. My dream is to one day become so good at this new hobby that I have jars of the stuff to offer friends at holidays, or when they visit. Now that's hospitality!

So, the grow ...
    • 10 July 2014: Started four bag seeds, thinking it may be OG Kush
    • 14 July 2014: Have three seedlings, growing them in the window by day and under a cheap fluorescent by night
    • 21 July 2014: I have three very leggy seedlings now. I start to slowly move them outdoors.
    • 27 July 2014: Transplant the three VERY leggy seedlings to 11 liter containers (about 3.5 gallon, I think). Bury most of the stem to establish stronger roots. Begin daily foliar spray with   diluted Fox Farm Organic Big Bloom fertilizer.
    • 28 July 2014: one of these guys is clearly the runt of the litter, the weakling, the one who weeps at the slightest bump. I'm hoping I can toughen it up to get some stronger flavor and potency (I read that the more a plant is stressed, the more terpines it produces or something ...) Anyway, it looks stressed so I prop it up and give it a drink of diluted Fox Farm Organic Big Bloom fertilizer.
    • 29 July 2014: Leave the kids home alone while I go to Amsterdam for a few days :)
    • 31 July 2014: Home again - kids look like they behaved themselves and are looking much stronger, as though they have recovered from the transplant. I give more foliar and regular feedings, both with diluted amounts. The runt is still weak but not near death yet.
    • 31 July 2014: I put the plants under an 600 HPS with the metal thing that reflects lights (I'm vaping and have forgotten the term ...)
    At this point I have pictures and will continue doing so.
    01 August 2014: I decide to play nasty evil with my plants. I like order in my life and a grow is no exception. I've read LST is good, I've read that scrog is good - I have no preference as this is my first time. 

I started toying with ideas - I had drilled holes under the rim in the cheap plastic buckets in case I needed that for LST. I had some twine - let's see what my high brain will come up with. The weather is lovely, the neighbors are singing and playing guitar REALLY well - it just made me want to do something daring.
    photo 2 copy.jpg

And here we go! I decided to create a weave using twine. As my plants grow I can tie them down in an LST/SCROG model.
    photo 4 copy.jpg

I have no idea where I am going from here - I'm going to continue with the fertilizer and the indoor/outdoor grow, but I have no idea what I am going to make for a box. I have the space for it, with exhaust at the top of the ceiling - nothing to worry about there. I just need to figure out the box (and get to that point first).
    photo 2-1 copy.jpg
    photo 1-1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 3-1 copy.jpg
    photo 4-1 copy.jpg

2. #2 NGP, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    The plants look healthy. I think you should read a little more about SCROG (screen of green) to see what a setup looks like. The plant (and branches) resides under the screen, allowing the nodes to crawl outward from underneath, exposing more budsites to light and ultimately, all you end up with is a "screen of green" because the buds protrude from underneath the screen and all receive direct sunlight, producing more of a yield.

What you have there is cute, but it's not a SCROG. :D

You'll also likely be transplanting into much larger pots, considering you're now outdoors on these. So the twine will all eventually come down. Look at some pics of other people's grow journals on here that have a SCROG. For instance, you need to be able to adjust the height of the screen, based on the plants growth.

http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/48363-scrog-method.html

3. Well, I've been thinking about LST a lot as something fun to try that will enable me to flower indoors. So I figured LST would be so much easier if I could just tie down very easily into a grid ...

And of course it is cute - I hate messes!

4. Hmmm ... I wonder what would happen if I wove the plant in and out of the grid as it grew? That would obviously promote lateral growth but it doesn't necessarily prescribe to a particular method that I have read about. Am I about to discover the newest greatest way to grow indoors? This set up so far has cost me almost nothing:
    • Buckets from local Big Box: 3/$5 (this is Denmark so it's a good deal, trust me ...)
    • Nutrients: $37
    • Soil mix: $10 on sphagnum, had incredible compost and peat mix on hand already
    • Lights: free! Someone I met at a party gave me the whole set, with 600 HPS for grow and something else for flower ...
    • Mylar emergency blankets, to line my grow box: box of 10 for $7!
    So I've only spent $59 so far - if I screw it up or do not optimize my yield or something, then it is no huge loss. At least I am learning something along the way...

Volcano is calling! I fucking hate it when I cannot remember what strain I have going - right now it is some type of Amnesia ...

5. We all begin somewhere and I always believed doing anything is a step towards self reliance! So, good for you! Get a good grow book(s), ask questions and keep a open mind. Keeping a journal is important! Write down everything you do, all variables, temp, humidity, time of day etc... That way you can more easily eliminate what works from what doesn't. If you happen to have a "bumper" crop, then it can be easily duplicated. Only add or change one thing at a time. Other wise you will not be able to tell what works and what doesn't. Don't skimp!!! Use quality nutrients/inputs. Choose genetics wisely! Learn first the basics; understanding/controlling the environment is most critical and can take a few evolutions to dial in. Don't add a bunch of "extra stuff" in the beginning, as this will unnecessarily complicate your life at this point. The key elements of a good grow are; sufficient lighting, fresh air, quality water source, quality inputs and good genetics. Concentrate on these elements and you will be golden! Your plants need nitrogen now so they can do the veg thing, so spraying high amounts of phosphorus is contradictory to what you want now(high N and high K). Even if the seeds you have came from Kush, It will in all probability, yield something else! If you planted 4 seeds, you may end up with 4 totally different plants, possibly with varying requirements, heights, etc..., making your job even harder! Most cannabis is of a hybrid variety and for this reason seeds from a hybrid will produce plants of various results from possibly hundreds(or more) combinations! Part of what you purchase when buying seeds is the linage details. Hybrids that have been worked to reach the f4 or f5 generation are usually uniform and stable for a added benefit(easier to care for and easier to pick a mother/donor). Good luck! Keep it Green! Peace!

Really great post here!

Making the grow journal here was a good first step, and OP you're clearly passionate about getting things right. They look good, yoru research has paid off, and success is within reach. As far as first grows are concerned you are off to a great start. Perfect time to incorporate the LST techniques too. Leave the string up, don't let my comment about SCROG defeat you on that front it wasn't meant that way. I just wanted to point out, that isn't a SCROG and you will likely be removing those from those buckets anyway when you transplant.

I REALLY LOVE outdoor scrog grows. Way more than indoor. Because outdoor always gets bigger, and I've seen some impressive ones in person and on some of the larger grow channels on YT that I watch. SCROG will keep them shorter in height, but require wider space and will increase your yield. Go for it!

7. Yeah, the way I see it is that right now I am just trying to have fun and learn something new. I recently deactivated my FB account for 99 days and I now have a shitload more free time on my hands. Hence, my turn at growing something.

I'm late in the season for growing outdoors at this point - but I would love to do so next Spring. The way I figure, I have time to get through maybe two cycles of plant experiments: this one that is using lots of outdoor light during the veg period, and the next will be exclusively under lamps.

I'll look for a high-nitrogen fertilizer - I'm sure I have something on hand ...

I appreciate the feedback - I've never done this before so the guidance is more than welcome.

8. #8 BuddhaBelly, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    So I left the plants under a HPS light last night, and this morning started more of their LST training. Two tied down very successfully, but one has a very weak steam so I created a splint for it in hopes that it will become strong enough to train in the future - or not. I'm just trying to learn different things on this grow, see what I can get away with.
    photo 1.JPG
    photo 2.JPG

I found some Miracle Gro that seems pretty high in N - will use it for now until I find something specialized. I need to drive to Holland again soon so I may check out a hydroponics shop there and get suggestions.

One of my plants is getting a yellowing leaf - not sure what that one is about ...
    photo 3.JPG

9. Plants are growing well, and even the runt is still alive. They had some leaf damage from over-concentrated miracle grow but they seem to have recovered well. It's amazing how hardy this plant is, really - it has a wild nature to it still which is nice.

It's been raining a lot lately so I have kept them inside under a grow lamp (HPS) for the last two days. I didn't want them to get soaked or drown or anything.

I've been gaping and am too tired to get up and take pictures, so I am out of here. Good night from Scandinavia!