First Grow: Afghan in Coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Bambi420, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Hey Blades :wave:,

im new to growing, and have done my share of research. Germed 4 seeds today of some afghan, picked up from a buddy.

Bought some shitty 2 gal plastic bags from my hydro store to start off in. Got a pre mixed coco 'organic root' combination of coco perlite and all sorts of organic stuff. Have 2 seeds germing in the paper towel method, and 2 in a shot glass doing askEds method. Ill have pics coming soon.

My light setup is 2 40watt t12's and 8 100w daylight cfls. Got 4 seeds about to break ground. Once they do ill have some pics. Going to make a mylar tent out of it to keep the animals away. this is my first grow and would love to have some people 'scribe to it. Pics and posts coming in a few days.

getting a ph meter here withen the week and looking forward to watching these ladies grow up.

2. i wouldn't even bother.... i havent used my ph meter in over a week and my plants look totally fine

3. Do you use tap water and nutrients in coco? ive heard ph is everything in coco....

4. filtered water, ph out of the tap is a little bit above 7.5 if not sometimes in the lower 8's
    im serious, i have been ph'ing for the majority of my growing time and just recently have stopped and i haven't noticed anything bad, and somewhat more lush looking growth...

just my two cents, but a lot of others on here agree

5. Alright well ill leave it be to start. And see how it goes without ph, id love to have you stay tuned for the grow

I germed 4 more seeds tonight in rockwoll and put up panda film in my closet. Ill have pics tomorrow. Got 6 germin, 4 in rockwoll cubes and 2 already in coco, just waiting to see some sprouts

6. I will disagree with this given the proper circumstances.

In my own garden the E.C. (electrical conductivity) is King. I monitor the EC going in and the EC coming out. Then I accumulate data for several grows and this gives me a relatively good conceptualization of what kind of charge the media has to better tune my feeding process.

An EC meter, or a combo EC/pH/Temp meter is fantastic for when you're really looking to dial things in.

When you are working in coco/organics I think it is more important to ensure you are using an organic Acid to lower the pH of your solution. I like to use FlavorFul Fulvic Acid from Humboldt Nutrients though you can find many on the market. I don't bother checking the pH of my nutrient system because of the natural pH buffering capabilities of the coco.

Because I am unfamiliar with your nutrient program I cannot give direct advice, but personally I like to use between 3ml and 5ml of Fulvic Acid per gallon. I start my plants off at 0.6ec and work up by 0.1ec with every new leaf set. During veg I won't go over 1.6ec, and usually top out around 1.25ec. At the transition to flowering I generally drop my nutrient solution concentration, and begin using bloom nutrients at the switch, to get about a 1.0ec solution. This I will bring up about .1ec per week, ending around 1.6ec or so, some of my heavier feeders prefer a 1.8ec for an extended period. Higher EC levels has never worked in my own garden, perhaps because it is still an organic system and there is a considerable charge of elements in the media already. Or maybe I just don't get the hungriest phenotypes. Other factors, like CO2 supplementations will come into play for some gardeners as well. I would recommend that in your situation you get an EC meter and work to keep your solution sub-1.65ec for your first time around.

I prefer to feed once per day with a copious amount of runoff, in excess of 30%. I prefer less than 3 gallons, or 15L, of coco, working in about 10 liters of coco seems perfect for growing 2-3 foot tall plants, with 24 inch canopies, producing between 2 and 5 ounces depending on variety. Start by developing a healthy and robust root system. We feed the media, the media feeds the roots, the roots feed the plant. Understand that the vast majority of the grower does has to first be digested by the media and organics if it applies. So if what the media contains is understood (by diligently measuring the EC of your runoff and recording it) and focused efforts on building a crazy effective root system are applied, then this will give the greatest control over the final product from the plant itself.

My advice is to get an EC meter and an effective runoff system to collect your drained out solution. Work in smaller containers than you think you need and build happy roots in the coco mix. Focus on organic pH balancing with Fulvic acid. Use your solution when it is "fresh," within 6 hours of mixing, never aerate it, and keep a good diary of everything in and everything out. You'll have the hang of it in no time.

Some products I can recommend:
    General Organics - The entire lineup
    Dyna Grow - Pro-Tekt Potassium Silicate (as a pH up and a source of Si)
    Cutting Edge Solutions - Micro (better "Cal-Mag" supplement) and Uncle John's Blend (Resin enhancer and K+ balance)
    Botanicare - CNS17 Coco/Soil, Ripe, Liquid Karma
    Humboldt Nutrients - FlavorFul Fulvic Acid

7. Thanks SCMC, i was looking at getting a hannah ph/ec/tds meter you have some great advice. Im in 2gal plastic bags right now, still waiting for sprouts to show. Ill have pictures of the setup today, still working on hanging all of the lights. Id love for you to stick around and get advice as i go. havent got any nutrients yet as they arent ready for them

8. Hey guys, sorry for the wait but here is an update

Hung my t12 (2x40w?) light fixture, and currently have 4 cfls 100w hanging. Daylight bulbs 5500k.

I have 5 more seeds in rockwoll waiting to pop, once they do I have 4 more cfls to hang up

I used askEds shot glass germ method for 2 of them, and they haven't popped yet. Put them in the coco awhile ago. I bought rockwoll cubes and 3 have popped from them just yesterday.

2 are afghan strains, the other is a bob marley strain.

I have a fan circulating the air pointing away from the plants, have a heater I run in there when the lights are off to keep the temp at a steady 75

I threw the plants in a rubbermaid bin with a runoff system

I don't have a ph reader yet, so I bought tester strips until I got the $. Threw 1/4 tsp of ph down into 1gal tap water I let sit out for a few days, it appeared to be close to a 6 ph

I took pics with my phone, and updating from my phone, won't let me add pics, but I will tonight once I check on the girls again

Any help or ideas I appreciate, its my first grow!

Attached Files:

9. Clean setup are you gonna flower under those lights too?

10. no, i will get the flower lights, they will prob flower under cfl's tho. ill leave the t12s there, and ill swap the cfls with the right 2700k or whatever it is. i have it written down. im more worried about ph levels, when to start using nutes/what nutes, when to start stress training it, and topping it. things like that. but i know its still really early. excited for these girls to grow

11. All depends on your space on when to top I have alot of ceiling bight so I let mine go natural less veg time I'm no pro on coco so I'm not sure when to start nutes with that medium but I'm sure by the sounds of it you gonna do just fine good luck I'll be checking in from time to time to watch your progress

12. thanks man. look forward to your input

13. Alright so checked on my germs and another popped.

So that left me with 4 sprouts. 3 afghan 1 bob marley strain.

Its only day 1 and the 3 that popped yesterday already got the start of leaves. Afghan nicknames (khalifa, neako, and jane) and the bob marley strain is nicknamed marley. Here is some pics after 1 day. Been researching on lst, Ill stress train them soon. Like the 3rd set of leaves or so.

Added a little ph'd water to the top of the rockwoll to help those roots break past the rockwoll into the coco

Here is my babies

Attached Files:

14. #14 Bambi420, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
    Hey blades,

Quick update. Watered the ladies today. Looks like the second set of leaves is coming in nicely. The sativa's leaves are a little more droopy then the indicas, could I be over watering?

I water mostly the rockwoll, because I don't think the roots have quite hit the coco yet. Plants are only roughly a week old.

The Tent was about 78deg with 55% humidity. The duct tape was starting to fall off and make the tent collapse. Ill have to get a staple gun here soon.

Here's how they are lookin (the sativa is Marley) sorry for the picture quality, its on my 5mp phone camera. Ill try to get some nicer pics on the next update

Attached Files:

15. Looks good just remember it's easy to overwater with a small plant and a big pot just be careful

16. Hey blades,

Checked on my ladies, and they are lookin great. Feeding the rockwoll a couple oz's of ph'ed water every other day. Great color and I can start to see new sets of leaves!

Ill start lst possibly this weekend depending how tall they get.

Was interesting to see the stem gain some girth and straightn up real nice. Looking into nutes pretty soon.

Ill have pics after I do some work in my space, might pick up some pineapple express, atf, and gdp clones

17. You're going to have a problem watering like that.

Every time you water you want to completely and evenly saturate the media. The fresh solution brings much needed dissolved oxygen to the roots and washes out residuals.

Always get runoff. Always.
    Overwatering is watering too often, not too much. Once the media is wet, it's wet, and it cannot get "more wet" by using extra solution.

When plants are young they need a surprisingly small amount of water. In the planters you have you could be watering once a week at this stage without concern.

The proper way to test your media when working with an immature root system in coco is to lift it up. You never want coco to go totally dry, but as you lift the planter every day it should get lighter and lighter. When you go in there and it is just obscenely light, practically no weight at all (but before the seedling gets limp), that's when you water to complete saturation and collect a reasonable amount of runoff.

18. Thanks SCMC,

I was just more concerned with overwatering them by giving them too much water at once.

Ill clear that up with a flush on friday

19. Hey guys,
    Its roughly day 11, flush watered them with ph'd water on day 9 and rearranged the tent a little bit so all 4 plants Were directly under cfls. Tent was 85, which was a little warm. Indicas look good as far as I can tell but the sativa marley looks like the leaves are a little droopy.

Can't tell if its time for nutrients or LST yet, I know its soon, but not sure when to make the move.

Here are some pics from today 2 days after water
    Marley is the sativa

Attached Files:

20. You probably want to wait until you have 4 established leaf sets before employing any sort of training. Won't take long. They should start producing a new leaf set every 2 or 3 days now.