First Grow Advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by topnoevil420, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Thanks for the very descriptive response, clearly I have a lot left to learn. I'd really like to do one of the three setups your suggested, but my funds are very limited, $300 tops at the moment. Unfortunately I will likely have to find a way to make this setup work decent for now and upgrade down the road when I'm able.

2. The 1200s or 1600s you would need two that could get pricy to effectively cover with good penitration but would be worth it or 8 300s would be effective also ... You don't want hps light there way too hot and hard to control temp LEDs give greater penetration and better plant absorbtion for actual watt to watt leds 3-4 times the yeild when you get your set up dialed in I grow autos and grew a half pound plant with led along with 8 other 3-4 ouce plants under my Mars 1600

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Then I'd go either a 600w hps/mh combo kit air cooled hood. Or a 315cmh with a 3kr bulb. Put either in the middle and bookend your 2 leds on either side. Then you're upgrading and still using your current stuff and under budget.

4. IMG_5347.JPG 315cmh should yield around 12-14oz 1 plant.
    IMG_4456.JPG Mars hydro 300s x2 yielded me almost 8 oz. 3 plants.
    Difference is stretch and penetration. 7-8" colas vs 15-20" colas. And only a small wattage difference.

5. I'm a bit leery of CFL and HPS because of heat. Unfortunately where my tent is located I don't really have a place to vent the heat out, I'd have to put a hole through a concrete wall. Would 4 300 watt Mars Hydro LED cover the tent well with the two King Plus 1000 watt LED? Or do I really need more?

6. It'll cover you for sure. Viparspectra are about the same price and test number wise better than the mars. About the same cost. But they do make heat. 4 is 540w? I think. It'll make more heat than a 315. Or as much. But I understand the heat thing. I have to run a 8000btu ac 24/7 in my space to keep my temps in the 70s all summer. Winters I don't need it and the tents vent into my living space and actually heat my first floor. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Let me checkout the Viparspectra lights, I'll post back here with what I'm thinking of buying before I make the purchase. Thanks for all the advice and information, I really appreciate all the help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ok looks like I can do four 300 watt Mars Hydro or two 450 watt Viparspectra. Are the Viparspectra stats really worth the added cost? Will 2 of them be better than four 300 watt Mars Hydro with the King LEDs?

9. The 4 300s would be better. Par readings for the mars and vipars were about 80 par different. But that's 300vipar vs 300mars. The 450 won't make up the difference plus it's less coverage area. But I don't see their 300s on amazon anymore except the ones with the timer thing which jacked up the price a whole lot. They were 10 dollars more than the mars just a couple months ago.

10. And I highly recommend a scrog with these lights. It'll give you a shorter canopy and you'll get better bud at the end. Less larf

11. I was also considering two 600 watt Viparspectra if I can find a discount code to bring it a little closer to $300, do you think those are better than the four 300 watt Mars Hydro?

12. It could be. You'd have to see what the flower coverage area is for each. The 300s cover like 2.5x1.5 I think. The 600s probably wouldn't be double that so it really depends on how much space you're covering. But the 600s would probably have better penetration.
    Bottom line they'll all work. And you'll have no need for more light until you're in flower which is a ways out still. You can take your time research your options and buy later if you need.

• Like Like x 1
  13. And if you end up with that 3rd 1000w you may not even need any of the mars or vipars.

14. Ok thanks again. I personally like Viparspectra 600 watt and they claim it does an area of 3x3ft, which is also what the King Plus claims. My tent dimensions are 96"x48"x80"

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don't listen to the bs viparspectra makes a couple decent light but Mars really does a great job my bud quality and quantity was super high this last harvest on my 1600 Mars led I pulled just over 2.5lbs and on a ipower 600 led I pulled just over a hp ipower 337.5 watts mars 1600 I think in actually 630-710 something like that stick with what works Mars blurpys what every hps user calls them out yeild grams per watt 3-4x a standard hps bulb less heat to worry about and there customer service is great will answer questions fast the only two chines company I would use is Mars if you had sum cash kind leds are probably one of the best made but 1500$ wasn't in my price range so I bought the mars and was super happy with it this is my 3rd harvest and I really got sum great yeilds good luck and if you had the money I would by 5 Mars 300 put the king's in the back one Mars between them and the other two in front of the king you will pull a shit ton of bud probably 2-3 lbs first grow if you have a lick of sense how to feed your plants and pot them in 5-7 gallon pots I would use fabric pots there cheap and really good also a good soil for your strain and plant type

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16. Ughhh sorry blurple lights that just decieve the public with vague stats isnt my cup of tea. Mars lights work for a while but are like throw away models that you really cant fix. And to answer your question about cob leds. Its really the way to go if you can grasp what you need.
    Cob lighting is modular and you can get optimal spred and penetration because you are spreading the actual cobs over the canopy. Each of these cobs can be driven softly in respect to their maximum current capasity. I am running mine at less than half power. I can run them harder and higher umol but the calculations are most efficient without diminished efficacy. Efficacy is the give and take of btus (heat) to photons (light). Once you reach a certain point the heat to light ratio increases and your producing more heat than light for the power consumed. This is why all these chineese 5w led run so hot. Alot of the current going to these cheap leds is going to btus. So with that being said find a led that is quality that is producing alot of usable par with the umols needed for optimal growth. The optimal umols for non suplimented co2 is 1125 umols. To achieve 1125 umols with bridgelux vero 29 d model 37.8v cobs at 3500 kelvin for a 4x4 area is optimally 6 cobs spaced evenly across the canopy. So one every 9-12 inches.
    Now the other variable is current or how hard to drive these. The calculations i have given are with these vero29s driven solfly so the efficasy is in line. And the efficiency (power consumption) is good.
    I am running at 1400ma and the maximun current these are rated at is 4200ma. Sure at 4200ma they will be bright as hell but the trade off is efficasy and efficiency. They will be hotter than hades. The mean or medium average would be half so a driver at 2100ma would be the best of both worlds efficiency and efficasy.
    So we have established the 2100ma would be the best of both worlds and we know we can achieve the par or photon active radiation would be fine with the lumens per watt of the selected cob. Now selecting the driver to fit your array or rack. The meanwell hlg series c drivers are constant current or cc. The current is the 1400ma 1750ma or 2100ma. Now have the voltage witch is the first number 480 represents 480v. Our cob array is run in series wiring so the current stays the same and the voltage drops as we use cobs. So the 480v at 1400ma driver in the stat sheet says it can run 343v worth of cobs. Our cobs at 1400ma run at 36v (37.8 actual) so this driver can run 9 cobs at 1400ma.
    Conversly if i were to run a higher current say 2100ma i could not run as many because of the voltage. The 480v 2100ma driver can only handle 229v so we can only fit 6.36 on this driver so cost upfront will be a factor. Granted we are getting more light but each driver at 139 dollars would be a breaking point. We can achieve a balance of cost vs output. I will teach you anything you need

• Like Like x 1
  17. And yes i can grow...lol 20170531_081252.jpg 20170721_090918.jpg 20170604_092531.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Meizhi 300W Full Spectrum

My First Grow Ever! Journal
    Nitro Lemon Haze - First Grow

19. Whatever 133w at the wall and 650par at 17 inches lmao

20. That was a great post.

• Like Like x 1