First Grow Advice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by topnoevil420, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Hey All,

Now that it's legal to cultivate marijuana here in MA I decided to give it a try. I didn't have a lot of money to get my grow tent started so I did the best I could. Here's my setup for the time being:

Apollo 96x48x80in grow tent.
    Two King Plus 1000 Watt LEDs
    Vivosun 8in Inline Fan and Carbon Filter
    Two 8 inch Passive Vents
    Fox Farms Soil in Solo Cups for now, will be transplanting to woven pots once plants are big enough.

I have only germinated about a dozen random bag seeds I've collected. I figure it's be a good idea to experiment/practice with these before I try my hand at some expensive seeds I purchased online. I also have some straps coming for the lights this week, I just have them temporarily hung on the tent. I'm thinking I may also need to add a 3rd 1000 watt LED too, thoughts? Any advice, suggestion, etc is much appreciated.

IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0414.JPG IMG_0421.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Nice set up

SM-N9000Q cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

• Like Like x 1
  3. Squeeze those cups together and run 1 light for now. You don't need all that electricity yet. No fan yet. Nothing but a light over them at about 30-36"
    I'd aim for 1200 true watts for coverage in that space. But that's a ways away.
    And watch out for herms in bagseed. They're either from herms themselves or someone had males in their grow and didn't know. Usually hermies though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hi,

In this tent, I think 2k watts is excessive, especially for 6 plants. I run 9 plants (7 gal smart pot) on 1800w (a cheap Bestva to boot!) and they're great in a similar sq ft tent. That's actually an amazing beginner set!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. And check out the Boston mass growers unite thread. We have a few of us all in ma form the city to the 413 that all help each other out from advice to trading clones etc...

• Like Like x 1
  6. I do plan on running 8 all the time eventually. I was thinking 4 plants per 1000 watt LED, but I wasn't sure if the 4 plants near the center of the tent are getting enough reflection from the walls hence why I was considering a third 1000 watt LED. Also King Plus are cheaper Chinese LEDs and I'm not sure they put out the same quality of light as the more expensive brands.

7. I will definitely checkout the thread and thank you for the tips! I'll make some adjustments based on your feedback in a few hours when my lights come back on. I appreciate the help!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Those king lights are trash homie there more like a 300-400 bench mark wattage I bought 4 of those and tested and had to buy different lights

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  9. everyone please go to my post (first ever) and give your input on my plant. please. it's for my wife who is very ill.

Thanks.

10. Sounds like a third one might be a good idea then. I appreciate the feedback, I knew they weren't actually consuming 1000 watts of energy, I just can't afford to go more expensive at this time. Assuming 400 watts, three would give me 1200.

11. Sort of it may be closer to 300 each I think actual wattage was like 230 or something close to that you should really check and find out it will let you know the coverage area in flower and that should give you a idea on the amount of plants and size they can get

• Like Like x 1
  12. Honestly the whole LED wattage is confusing to me. Isn't wattage a bad way to measure LEDs effectiveness as they are more power efficient than CFL or HID? I thought the light spectrum was most important? The coverage area for these is about 4x4ft maybe slightly less like 3.75x3.75ft. I know the King Lights have UV and IR LEDs which are also important. I'm a total newbie so I probably misunderstood what I read when trying to educate myself.

13. Efficacy is what you measure light by. The amount of penetration it has. 1.7 umol is about a 1000w hps. That's what you want. Something like a mars 300 is about 1/8 or lower than that. And unfortunately most companies won't pay the money to test that. But the better companies are starting to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes and no if it to weak it won't be intense enough for coverage area or bud development would be loose and airy I use Mars 1600 watt covers a 4x4 perfect with great yeilds king are low quality Chinese made light I bet if you bought on Amazon you complain and want to return they'll send you a free light that's what happened to me

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'll give that a try, because it does seem sketchy that they sell them as 1000 watt when they are no where near. I'll try that, worst they can say is no right?

16. Technically you could have a comparable light to a 1000 watt hps at 500-600 watts of led at a certain intensity the spectrum and par are key factors I seen someone yeild almost 3 pounds on a led that was either 520 or 575 I can remember what model just perfect sun Goliath or the one thats a step below that if I was you and have limited money I would try to get a free light by falsely saying you wanted to return them and complain about the wattage if it's not listed on there advertisement but if you end up falling short I can point you to a much better light for the money

17. OK just visited the tent and I have 4 plants coming up out of the soil already, it's been about 24hrs since I planted them. I also moved all the cups under one light which I rehung at about 32-33in above. I have also killed the fan. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0427.JPG

18. Thanks for the information. I sent an email over to KingLED through Amazon, hopefully they offer me another free one, stay tuned.

19. Let me know what they say

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nah man that looks good. Electricitys expensive. Save where you can my friend. Once they get to like node 5 turn on your oscillating fan. You won't need the scrubber and exhaust till you either have a heat issue or they get stinky. 6-8 weeks I usually notice smell.