First Grow. 600w HPS. Intro + Few Q's

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Hoobiedead, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Hello,

*Wall of text*
    Is there a rule about stoned ranting on here?

A short introduction. This is not relevant to the grow. For all of you who don't enjoy reading, please skip to the cliff notes. :) This is my first grow. I got out of the Marines in 09'. Needless to say, at this point I was heavily brainwashed and did not use cannabis. In fact I had never tried it before in my life. I was 23 year old coming off two tours and had a few issues. Being on anywhere between 5-8 prescription medications wasn't helping my situation much either. They had me on pills I couldn't even pronounce. The VA hands the things out like candy. (Thx big pharma) The wife left, took the kids. I couldn't get a job, and at the bottom of my pit I ended up in a homeless shelter for vets. I was retired with a rating, but the VA had put a hold on my pay. They conjured some bullshit saying anyone with 100% for ptsd/tbi needs a fiduciary or prove they are competent. So long story short, it took awhile to get my paycheck. Anyways, during this time I had such horrible side effects to my meds that I was desperate for relief. I was at a buddy of mines and he offered me a toke while explaining that I was a brainwashed tool. This doesn't need to be said, but it was amazing. Over the years I slowly decreased my prescription medications while also slowly increasing my marijuana intake. Fast forward to present and I can definitively say that it has changed my life completely. I smoke every day, but I do it responsibly. To some it may just be fun, and I totally respect that and I do it for fun sometimes to. But it really is the very best medication I have ever taken. I am a totally and completely different person. I am a full-time student. I reconciled with my wife and now we all live as a family again. I haven't touched a prescription in years even though they write me scripts when I go to the VA after I specifically say I don't want it. "Just in case" or "Just try it out" is what I hear. Pathetic pharma puppets. So after awhile I got tired of paying for it and decided to grow it. And this is what I've got so far :hello:

So my setup includes
    ff nutes/soil (see pic)
    2x4x5 grow tent
    600w HPS
    carbon filter
    4inch inline fan
    5 strains in 3 gal pots. Some of the strains my buddy just made up. Supposedly I've got og, purple kush, virgin, blue moon, and carm.

I'm currently 2 weeks into flower. I was given these girls as 5 inch clones and had vegged them for like two months. They were stunted most of the first month. I over nuted like an idiot. Temps were swinging from 90+ to 50s, it was a real shit show. I got them most of what they need now and I feel like it is presentable, but please don't hold back the (friendly) criticism. I welcome your knowledge.

Here's some pics. Questions will follow.

[​IMG]

The whole setup

[​IMG]

The girls

[​IMG]

All tucked in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My intake heat for cold nights

And these are my first attempt at cloning. Luckily for me, I did plant propagation in my horticulture class two days before I took mine. They are far from perfect but you know what, they're all alive (so far)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Questions + Cliff notes.

I have these 5 girls in a small space. As you can tell, space is at a premium in there. I did some minor lst'ing to get them to fill all the empty space in the tent. Was I a bit over zealous in packing them in so tight? They have all been growing well, most of the damage you see is from my first month of tweaking. I'm worried that I will run out of space. Discuss. :smoke:

Also I think partial harvesting will work well in this situation. They are cramped so inevitably there are a few (lot) of bud sites not getting a full on blast of light. Thoughts?

I took my clones on the first. Up until two days ago I did Not have a warmer for them and they were COLD. 50-60. Now they have a toasty 75 degree bottom heat but as I mentioned above, only since two days ago. Should I be concerned that NONE of them have shown roots, with it being so cold? They are all alive, and even droopy ones have re-orientated their leaves to photosynthesize.

Lastly how am I doing? Any problems you foresee or see presently that need to be addressed?

If you don't like the image quality blame steve jobs. I took them on an ipod :rolleyes:
    It's time for my meds, hope to hear some positive feedback. Good Vibes :wave:

2. Welcome to GC. ;)

I enjoyed your post.

Your grow is looking good.

Pat yourself on the back.

I'll probably chime in later today with a more thorough response, but I gotta go to bed! :p

3. definitely subbed looks like its gonna be a good harvest i got the same prob with the space thing i got 2 LARGE plants and 1 small one real bushy though but ya my space is totally filled im upgrading my tent maybe you can do the same and make that tent a veg room just my opinion

4. one more thing there only gonna get bigger too im on day 23 and there alot bigger then when i first flipped em and there not evan half way through flower

5. whats good bro, your plants are lookin good. We pretty much have the same setup, tent size, # of plants, and 600w HPS.

I as well, ran into the same problem as you. I have 4 LARGE plants, and 2 auto flowers, and only a 39x39x72 tent (approx 3x3x7)

Im 3 1/2 weeks into flower, and yesterday I had to remove them from my tent, and fix my light to the ceiling, and have to let them them grow in the middle of my room now, because they legit outgrow my tent SO fast.

I have some 90% sativa's in there, this picture was taken a week ago, and they are at least a foot taller now, than in the picture. Serious mammoth plants.

Im subbed in! We should be harvesting around the same time
    [​IMG]

6. #6 Hoobiedead, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2011
    Hey everyone,
    Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate that.

@MaineCronic
    Your plants are huge bro nice work. I'm a little worried about them outgrowing my tent. I forgot to mention this is in an unheated garage. The little ceramic heater I have is plenty for the tent but wont even touch the temperature in the shop. As far as taking them out and hanging the light, I just think they'd be too cold (55) Maybe I should just go buy a bigger heater lol

@lafntiger
    That is my plan down the road. I am going to build a flower room or just get another tent and use this one for veg.

And P.S. When my wife gets home from her cousins wedding, I can take way better pictures. She took the good camera

7. To make the pictures bigger on imagine shack copy and paste the one that says forum code. Wasn't Steve Jobs fault :p He builds perfect products.

8. Bump, still curious if my clones are going to make it, anyone have with experience with the same issue?

9. #9 BeZtoken, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    [quote name='"Hoobiedead"']Bump, still curious if my clones are going to make it, anyone have with experience with the same issue?[/quote]

Clones can take 10-14 days to root in peat cubes and a dome like you have. The heat mat definitely helps, don't give up on them unless there completely dry and no question dead. But as long as there staying green there's hope. If you want to get serious about clones and improve your chances get a clone machine I got a 8 site bucket cloner from HTG supply for $50 and it is well worth it, all 8 rooted in 5 days.
    Your overall setup looks good. I used a 600w light on my first 2 grows, now I've got a 1000w and the difference is amazing, much bigger buds already. And my whole reasoning behind the 1000w is that I was running the 600 18/6 to veg, well a 1000w on 12/12 is just a lil more power per day 2kw hrs so its just a few cents more a day.

Yes your correct the bottom buds on plants the size of yours using a 600w will be imo worthy of the hash bag but not worth trimming. The tops will be great tho not huge but very nice.

The soil your using is ok so are the nutes, ok not great they will do the trick. I have a friend that does good with FF nutes and soil. So I tell him why not try one 100% organic no nutes at all (its the way I grow all natural organic) just to see. So the test plant is in fox farms ocean floor I gave a couple tablespoons of some dry ferts and he's been just watering with a tsp of molasses per gallon. The last time I seen his room I had to ask which one is the organic because there is no noticeable difference.
    So my only other suggestion would be stop using the FF poison bro and go to the organic section and read up, there's more science involved, and more understanding of the life of the soil and the natural balance between nature and plants. And IMHO its a lot easier to just add water to the pot then it is to mix chemicals and test ph. And the results speak for themselves, dense sticky buds that taste amazing and are ready to smoke as soon ad there dry.

BTW thanks bro, I'm glad to see you made it home and was able to overcome your hardships. Also very glad to hear medical marijuana has made a positive impact on you life.

Good luck bro, BeZ...V

10. Just a quick update. Day 41 of flowering.

Feel free to name the problems as you see them. There is quite a assortment of leaf colors. I'm thinking due to the dry warm intake air coupled with a few mishaps where the temp dropped to low 50's for extended periods of time. That is mainly my fault, I forgot twice to plug the heater back in when I unplugged it to make popcorn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This last one is the one that burnt. It's healed itself nicely.

11. Oh also I was curious, how serious are fungus gnats at this stage? I noticed maybe 4 or 5 of them on a plants soil today.

12. [quote name='"Hoobiedead"']Oh also I was curious, how serious are fungus gnats at this stage? I noticed maybe 4 or 5 of them on a plants soil today.[/quote]

I hate those little fuckers, I'm dealing with them rt now. Neem cake is the best suggestion I've heard so far I don't know how good it works because mine haven't arrived in the mail yet. The source for them is Neem resource.com. ill let you know how it works.

But to answer your question, I've read fungus gnats larvae eat roots so there a definite problem.

Good luck, BeZ...V

13. Wow tough crowd here. Am I in the wrong section? Thanks V for the comment. New problem today. Are these hermie flowers? Am I screwed?

[​IMG]
    By hoobiedead at 2011-12-12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. #14 BeZtoken, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
    Bro.....very carefully pull one off and rub it between your fingers, you'll know if its pollen.

It looks like pollen to me.

You can semi keep it under control, if you pull them off everyday, even twice a day you can minimize seeds if you have to keep it, or really don't want to pull it now, even a week early and the smokes not nearly as potent.
    I just got the pics that one on your hand looks like it burst its pollen I think there WILL be seeds if it is.
    Good luck, BeZ...V

15. I just chopped it and have it hanging. It's super early but it was either that or kill it. As I trimmed I found many more that somehow I just never noticed(male flowers) So I'm sure I'll have some seeds showing up. I just hope it won't ruin the whole crop. Is there anything I want to look for as far as seed development? Maybe I could just tweeze them off as I spot them?

16. Yeah that's the safest route. And as far as seeds they should be mostly visible on the outside of the buds, I personally would let the seeds mature, label and stash them they might throw out some nice strains. If you wanna play in the future that is.

I definitely wouldn't go digging into buds to extract them.

BeZ...V

17. Final Yield 10.3oz

Attached Files:

18. Congrats. Looks good to.
    How's it smoke?

BeZ...V