First grow, 36"x36" tent, DWC, LED, GS Cookies,

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by 907guy, Sep 28, 2016.

1. This is my first shot at growing. I recieved 2 GS Cookie clones, I am unsure of where the original is from. Two pheno's (that's what he told me anyway) one is bushy, the other is stretched (I think it was not recieving enough light), they both also showed signs of nutrient problems. I transplanted them to DWC when I got them and have nursed them back to life.

This is the start of the 4th week I have had them, they had a good week and a half shock before they took off.

I've attempted to build a temporary smell proof/clean room.

Mars Hydry Reflector 96
    Apollo grow tent 36"x36"
    6" fan/carbon filter
    Peltier cooler
    Airpump/stones
    GH 3 part nutrients

The uncorrected pic is a few days after I recied the clones, the rest were taken today. I've had zero issues once they recovered, I check ph/ppm and temps daily. The ruler in the photo is an 18" ruler. They look to be doing pretty well now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. The air leaving the room is double filtered. It first passes into the tent from the outside fresh/free air through the large 6" carbon filter into the plastic room, then it passes through a charcoal impregnated panel filter ontop. The door is lined with magnetic tape and seals up instamtly with the help of the pressure inside the plastic room (the door opens inwards).

Here is a photo of my original sketch, we'll see how well it works, I may still have to exhuast it outside instead of back into the room.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Most of my photos wipl be under the led and white balance corrected on a phone so the leaves look oddly colored. Here is one with the light off

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your plants look good for now:thumbsup: give them more time bet they will give you a surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. They look healthy this far! good job! I like the setup but have a few questions. Though i like the room within a room concept and i'm sure it will work very well.It seems like the reasoning for it is odor. Did you think of putting a window A/C unit on the tent (build a stand for it outside the tent, cut the front of the ac unit into the tent and foil tape around it). Then foil tape the tent air tight. You can then use your charcoal filter and fan to scrub the air in the tent to kill the stink at the root. This has worked very well for me many times. you can open the tent and get no smell at all unless you have your nose to a plant in full flower. Being that it would now be a sealed room you would need to use a co2 system. I like to put 2 cups of sugar in a 1 gal jug, top with warm water and add a spoon of yeast. put two of those in there and keep them active and you will do better than outside air. The a/c unit will also build up heat in the room that the back side is on. I like to ventilate this room on a thermostatic control This heats and cools the area year round (great for an unheated space when its cold) and the vented room is great for your veg / staging area.

sorry for the book. Love the setup, i'm watching it

Haroo

• Like Like x 2
  6. I wanted to elaborate a little and post some more info.

Yes I would like to eliminate smell, however I also want to remain as efficient as possible. The plastic room around the grow tent is for the most part air tight, most of the air that escapes that the outer tent leaves through the charcoal impregnated panel filter. The bonus of having the outer tent is that I can step into the tent, the door seals behind me, open the inner tent and work with the inner tent open, now the charcoal filter does simply scrub the same air and it gets recirculated until the inner tent is sealed back up.

The outer tent blows up like a balloon and the inner tent sucks in like crazy even with the fan at about 1/3 power. I have 2x 6" diameter passive intakes leading into the inner tent with black fabric stretch across them to help with light and keeping things out.

Outer Tent Door

Inside the outer tent I have all of my test equipment, nutrients, etc. as well as the power supply for the bucket coolers. I under drive them at about 10v (they will take up to something like 15 I believe). I forgot to plug the pump in the other day and came back to a block of ice, it keeps the bucket at around 65-67*F depending on air temps. Cheap to, I think it was about $30.

These are older pics of the plants but it shows the cooler (and block of ice)

APC_0012.jpg APC_0017.jpg IMG_3263.JPG IMG_3264.JPG IMG_3277.JPG

7. Day 4 of flowering, no sign of any change aside from lots of vertical growth, I had to move the light up a couple more inches.

(Photo corrected as best as possible, one of these days I'll take them out of the tent for pics under natural light)
    _DSC0030.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Big Update, in the last 7 days they have outgrown my Reflector 96 so I rushed in a Mars II 700 for the better coverage. The bushier one on the left is starting to fill the tent and flowers are forming on both plants, they are growing at a crazy pace, several inches a day, the last photo was taken on Oct. 1st, these were taken today on the 8th.

Due to the size and crowding I've had to re-arange them into the corners as posed to being next to each other, hopefully this will help give them a little more space.
    APC_0097.jpg
    APC_0096.jpg
    Hard to tell here but the ruler in the plant on the left is 18", sitting on the bucket on the right is a pen for size comparison.

APC_0101.jpg
    Flowers! APC_0103.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Another update! A few more days of major growth! I may have slowed them down a couple days due to a little underfeeding but nothing too bad.

The first two pictures taken today the 13th, the last picture taken Monday the 10th, just 3 days of growth!

APC_0126.jpg APC_0119.jpg

Just 3 days before!
    APC_0116.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Some better pictures, took one of the plants out of the tent for the first time, sure would be nice not to have to deal with the double tent but so far it is 100% smell proof, zero smell inside the outer tent until you open the inner tent up, no smell gets out of the outer tent so far. I am in Alaska so this is all completely legal, I just prefer my privacy.

Leaves are starting to get frosty! I need the vertical growth to stop real soon before I start running out of room to adjust the light, may have to drop the buckets to the ground off of their short stands if it comes down to it. _DSC0035.jpg _DSC0038.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tomorrow will be 21 days since flip, the vertical growth should be coming to an end I think? They had already showed pre-flowers before flip.

I've been picking off fan leaves here and there over the last few days to clear out the bottom of the plant some and open up the lower nodes to more light and airflow. Only the fan leaves with no new node growth.

I took a picture with my microscope, shaky handheld so it didn't turn out to good and I had it zoomed out most of the way. I'll try to mount it to my tripod later for a better shot. microscope-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. 7 Days later and they are really starting to fill with buds! I've modified my nutrient calculator and switched them to 2-1-3 ratio of micro, grow and bloom. This is helped alleviate some of the purple stems. I am keeping them around 700ppm right now even though everything says it should be higher, they seem happy there right now with no burn and they are consistently taking up about the same amount every day. The bigger plant takes up about 3x the amount of water as the smaller one. This tent would have been better suited to just 1 super bushy plant. I was surprised how easily 2 filled a 3'x3' tent.

They are going to be pretty much impossible to remove from the tent without wrecking them from now on so I set up a shop light to try to get some somewhat normal lighting for photos. Aa you can see there are some very light purple stems still fading away since I switched to 3x the amount of bloom.

I removed more leaves today as well to get more direct light to the lower flowers. It is clearly paying off as I can see the lower flowers blow up a few days later after removing them. I am hoping to get a decent yield but as this is my first grow I have no idea what they should look like at this point. Do they look like they are producing a decent amount so far? I am at day 25 since flip to 12/12.

APC_0182.jpg APC_0183.jpg APC_0188.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Super awesome and inspiring ! Can't wait to see some updates !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for the compliments!

Day 33 / End of Week 5 since 12/12

Another weekend update, it seems like prgoress has slowed, probably becuase I am used to tons of growth every day. The buds are slowly growing, leaves are definitely getting frostier and they smell amazing (there is zero smell still in the room or the outer tent and even the inner tent has no smell until the air flow changes to recirculate while working in the tent, after a few minutes it begins to smell inside the tent but nothing is leaked out and as soon as the inner tent is zipped back up fresh air circulation is returned and the smell instantly disapears!

My hands/arms however come out smelling amazing!

How are these looking? Think they will produce a decent yield? They are not fattening up as much as I had hoped yet but still lots of time.

Should I be removing more leaves etc.? Or do they look good? I've been peridoicaly plucking them to get more penettration.

APC_0218.jpg APC_0217.jpg APC_0219.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Day 45, 3 days into Week 7 of flower (supposed to be a 9 week flower)

I've been running this light 8-9" from the top of the canopy since the stretch and no signs of any bleaching or burning on the top buds, I started at around 18-24" in veg and worked down to 12" as I ran out of room in the tent. They grew to be around 8-9" from the light at the tallest points.

They are definitely filling out, the colas aren't getting huge but they appear to be getting pretty dense. Removing some of the leaves seems to be helping, flowers that are 16" down into the canopy are starting to plump up. Hopefully only a few more weeks to go! I did pick up CaliMagic the other day and I've been supplementing that in to help with the purple stems more.

This one is 16" down from the top of the canopy and 25" down from the light.
    APC_0243.jpg

This one is 8" from the light at the top of the canopy
    APC_0245.jpg

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  16. It's all looking fantastic, it's humbling to watch as they grow and how much care you put into them, and how much pride you have in your work ethic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 907guy, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Thank you smokesera, I do enjoy it, looking forward to expanding for my next grow!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Also just a note for anyone trying to do a completly smell proof setup, there is still zero smell outside of the unit, you can still stand in the same room right next to the tent and zero smell what so ever, the inner tent has a slightly more humid/earthy/plant/grass smell that is very suttle, the inner tent however smells like some damn amazing cookies!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just to check the progress, pulled out the little microscope. Looks like mostly clear with a few ambers, is that normal?

Photo on 11-11-16 at 6.31 PM.jpg Photo on 11-11-16 at 6.43 PM #2.jpg Photo on 11-11-16 at 6.44 PM.jpg Photo on 11-11-16 at 6.44 PM #3.jpg

20. You could throw your reflector in there too for more end product. More light = more bud. That is unless your doing something else with it right now.

• Like Like x 1